Make the map smaller?

FrankieG

I'm sure a lot of people can agree with me that the Altis map is freaking huge, I was thinking, why not just get rid of the Eastern side which is not as popular as the West and Central area?
Something like this
http://i62.tinypic.com/f0x7o4.jpg
Where 
Green = Area that you keep
Red = Area that should be deleted
Blue = Area that can either be kept or deleted, doesn't really matter, or separate it and connect it with a huge bridge, kind of like Taviana in Arma 2

Thoughts? 

The Eastern side of the map is where most of the cities are... the north western part of the map is a wasteland

I don't know if you've noticed this but the devs have tried to do this with the location of the traders

All I want is for the Devs to make the map smaller. it's just too damn big man :L

Yep the map is definitely not too small, the size does not matter for action on the server since the traders are always hotspots..

The only thing thats annoying me is the atmosphere and the whole nothing on large areas... I mean there is just desert and nothing you can do there...

Even bigger cities are not really rewarding with the current loot spawning system sometimes and once you got all your stuff for a tipi or a shed together you will search for not populated areas to save your stuff

if there werent any non populated areas basebuilding would be almost impossible, saving gear too and random deathmatching would be the same as in wasteland...

I dont see the point in playing epoch rather then wasteland then..

Mixed bag of opinions here, and to be honest I don't believe the size is the problem.

What I believe is the problem is the absence of trader cities, as opposed to lone traders dotted around the map.

I know we have the three trader places where we spawn, but they hardly reflect a garage sale, nevermind a market place.

Epoch on Dayz smashed the competition it was that good. It even smashed the original game. Dayz Epoch was an incredible experience, and what set it apart from the other mods was the base building and trader cities.

There's an old saying where I'm from....if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Mixed bag of opinions here, and to be honest I don't believe the size is the problem.

What I believe is the problem is the absence of trader cities, as opposed to lone traders dotted around the map.

I know we have the three trader places where we spawn, but they hardly reflect a garage sale, nevermind a market place.

Epoch on Dayz smashed the competition it was that good. It even smashed the original game. Dayz Epoch was an incredible experience, and what set it apart from the other mods was the base building and trader cities.

There's an old saying where I'm from....if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If a trader can only sell you what others have sold him, why do you need trader cities?

There are safe zones where you can trade with other players too, these can be called trader cities.

All I want is for the Devs to make the map smaller. it's just too damn big man :L

"All i want" .. wow, you obviously have no idea on what kind of work that would involve, also they wouldnt be allowed, altis cannot be modified on the terrain level which is what you are talking about, it's really not as easy as just snip a bit of the terrain away ya know!

If a trader can only sell you what others have sold him, why do you need trader cities?

c

Initially I liked the idea of a real economy, but I've changed my mind. I want traders to be stocked, similar to DayZ Epoch.

Not everybody has the spare time to waste looting for certain things to complete their base. Plus, player to player trading is difficult without sidechat enabled, so a focal point like Stary would be a good place to gather to sell your shit.

The reason I prefer trader cities is because they're social environments, where friends and foes are made. We're social animals and we congregate in markets and city centres the world over.

Initially I liked the idea of a real economy, but I've changed my mind. I want traders to be stocked, similar to DayZ Epoch.

Not everybody has the spare time to waste looting for certain things to complete their base. Plus, player to player trading is difficult without sidechat enabled, so a focal point like Stary would be a good place to gather to sell your shit.

The reason I prefer trader cities is because they're social environments, where friends and foes are made. We're social animals and we congregate in markets and city centres the world over.

This.

If I had a hat, I'd take it off.

What I was thinking the last couple days, and I know this is probably out there, but to have some sort of territory system.  I haven't thought it out too much, but this is what I've imagined so far:

- Altis broken up into designated territories.

- I was thinking that territories could be claimed with the jammers, but rather craft a territory marker.

- You have to be in a group to put a territory marker down.

- Anyone can pull the territory marker up, so you need to secure it.

- Which ever group has the most markers in the territory claims it and group name is displayed within territory on the map.

I don't know if that would be possible in Arma, and even if it was, I'm sure it would be a crap ton of work.. but I think it would make things sooo much more interesting and it would better utilize the large map.  I'm sure, if this could be done, some of the map designers might even come up with some new map designs that better suit this sort of dynamic.

Yeah... so I've been playing KOTH lately.

Altis is just fine, maybe not now but when the full scale base building starts, Altis will get stuffed pretty fast and there will be a lot more action in the map as a whole. Not to mention that Epoch will utilize almost every map when server files will be released, so using time to dumb down a map is not very wise action to do

It seem's people are forgetting that this is for 1 NOT DayZ Epoch, but what Arma 3 Epoch is about: 

"Open world survival mod set in the year 2035, Just two years after the mass extinction of billions of people. Those that remain are left with remnants of a once technological society. Try to survive, build, or explore your way through the harsh dynamic environment."

Just reading that should give you enough info, that it will not be another DayZ/Wasteland PVP clone. but that the Epoch team has something diffrent in mind.

It seem's people are forgetting that this is for 1 NOT DayZ Epoch, but what Arma 3 Epoch is about: 

"Open world survival mod set in the year 2035, Just two years after the mass extinction of billions of people. Those that remain are left with remnants of a once technological society. Try to survive, build, or explore your way through the harsh dynamic environment."

Just reading that should give you enough info, that it will not be another DayZ/Wasteland PVP clone. but that the Epoch team has something diffrent in mind.

I'm amazed at how low the numbers are playing this mod. I anticipated it to be rammed full of players fighting for spots on official servers. The truth is, apart from 2 or 3 full servers, there's not that many people playing it, despite the hysteria and interest prior to open release.

Regarding your quote of the game description, let me just say.........safety in numbers. Market place. But no, we have vulnerable lone traders dotted about the place.

If you think Altis is too big, just wait until people start hosting Stratis (about 20km2) map servers and go play on those. I'm sure as development continues, Epoch will be available on other maps of varying sizes and you could probably find a map size you like. 

It's a sandbox game dudes..

Give it time and more maps will come.

Can they work out the traders, loot spawn mechanics and other more important stuff first?

Currently it's in a "check it out" stage I would guess.

You will see players come and go.  There is lots of kinks.

Server are nowhere near the abilities you can do on Arma2 epoch..   even getting your essential gear take way longer let alone trying to build a base and secure gear.