How to kill a good beginning

maxud

They are already stolen, there is quite no point to keep it closed. If they've opened a bunch of new official servers at least, it would make some sense.

Yes, there is a point to keeping it closed. Instead of trying to filter through the bazillion bug reports/requests/complaints that would come from unaware players on these unofficial servers (of which many will undoubtedly be modded somehow), they can focus on a controlled group of servers that they control. If the current servers are stressed to capacity for an extended amount of time, I'm sure they'll consider adding more when they can. Also, remember that stress testing is still a part of the alpha. Pushing the servers to their limits gives them a lot of valuable information. 

But there ARE already unaware players on these unofficial servers - they will not dissapear, deal with it. And with only couple official servers exactly what you describe happens - less appropriate feedback, becase official servers will be less and less visible in the whole list of all others. And what's the point then to make OPEN alpha, if there are already all-time fulled servers? 

But there ARE already unaware players on these unofficial servers - they will not dissapear, deal with it. And with only couple official servers exactly what you describe happens - less appropriate feedback, becase official servers will be less and less visible in the whole list of all others. And what's the point then to make OPEN alpha, if there are already all-time fulled servers? 

So, instead of a few unaware players on a handful of servers, let's multiply that several times to get even more unaware players on even more unofficial servers and further increase the number of irrelevant complaints we're already starting to see. Ok.

In this context, the "point" of an open alpha is to cram their servers to gather data, not satisfy your gaming needs. 

I think most are misunderstanding what happened as we simply removed whitelisting (we are still in very early alpha) on our servers as we had well over 5000 players whitelisted and really did not want to continue trying to manage that large of a whitelist.

The reality of it is we need our servers to act as a honey pot so that we can attempt to provide everyone with a secure and stable platform before we release anything server wise. Anything else is unsupported.

I think theres some people that needed to wait and stick with DayZ Epoch for a bit.  I'm the same way, I'm so wrapped up in it now that I can't even think about going back.  Nonetheless, like Awol and everyone else said, we're still in VERY EARLY ALPHA.  It's important for us to try to take the game serious enough to find all the bugs and kinks and to make valuable suggestions, etc.  But, we can't rely on it to fulfill our afternoon-delight-gaming-happy-funtime-sluts quite yet.

In this context, the "point" of an open alpha is to cram their servers to gather data, not satisfy your gaming needs. 

PRIORITIES

#1-98 - Working on moving the mod toward a mostly finished product.

#99 - Making sure over 5000 peoples' wishes and dreams are coming true on a nightly basis before the game is even close to getting there.

EDIT: s/sluts/slots

Yeah, I'm leaving that where it is.

IMO the way the devs run the servers atm is 100% forfilling their needs. And that's all that counts: the servers are not there for you and me to play the game as it's real, it's a testing platform !!

Not being able to join s*cks, but the devs have at that point a full server that provides them with valuable information.

I exploded yesterday dying constantly to hackers; IMO it's an issue that needs (and is being) taken care of. Today the GTX01 server had a hacker for about 15 minutes and then the hacker was banned and the server restarted. Kudos for this swift intervention.

I would like to see a group of volonteer admins that can/will make sure the server is still being populated by taking swift actions when hackers appear.. I know the task of an admin is pretty harsh (been doing this for 16 years now) and sometimes you make wrong decisions.. But, in the end, a server with *happy* testbunnies is better then an empty server populated by hackers.. I hope the devs take note and try to create such a group of (trusted) volonteers.

Creating extra pressure by all kind of unsupported servers is not going to help the Alpha phase.. Get used to it, and wait and pray for 0.5 version soon :)