Low server wide FPS fixes?

vaelorth

Question

I don't know the specs of the server in terms off what its actually running. But I believe it's running WAI. It has deploy bike and some small mod for making keys (it's quite hard to explain). It also has snap build pro. Other then that I don't believe it's to mod heavy.

A lot of people on this server have low fps and they get really good frames on other servers. So I would say server fps? Those guys have 2000 dollar rigs where they normally get 90 fps. Post any suggestions you have, literally.

Are there a lot of custom map areas on this server? 

Going overboard with the map additions will kill clients fps, especially on maps like cherno where the larger towns are already fairly crowded anyway.

A lot of AI and Missions spawning too often will also kill your servers fps.

Errors in your server and/or mission file can also cause a drop of server/client fps.

Really without knowing the specs of the box and the resources that specific server has use of, all the scripts/mods running server and client side and any errors showing in the client or server rpt files, we cant really help ya :D

Why don't you get the admin of the server involved with this thread, maybe we can help him out a little? :)

Are there a lot of custom map areas on this server? 

Going overboard with the map additions will kill clients fps, especially on maps like cherno where the larger towns are already fairly crowded anyway.

A lot of AI and Missions spawning too often will also kill your servers fps.

Errors in your server and/or mission file can also cause a drop of server/client fps.

Really without knowing the specs of the box and the resources that specific server has use of, all the scripts/mods running server and client side and any errors showing in the client or server rpt files, we cant really help ya :D

Why don't you get the admin of the server involved with this thread, maybe we can help him out a little? :)

4 Cores clocked at 3.4ghz

4 gigs of ram

on an SSD

4 Cores clocked at 3.4ghz

4 gigs of ram

on an SSD

Old 2004 "Arma2" Engine only uses one Core up to 15% (Arma3 at least up to 25% lol).

Also 4 gigs of RAM is no problem, you will figure not even 2GB will be used.

Your problem is that you have no idea what you are talking about.

So does your friend. If he wants help, he will have to move by himself with ALL INFOS he probably could think of.

If "ALL INFOS" can fit in one line, he might should not host any arma2/dayz servers at all.

in your mission file go to init.sqf find setViewDistance and if its high try reducing it

if you are using infiSTAR use clean FPS often

and also check your clean up scripts, make sure that objects are be cleared correctly.

MaxDynamicDebris in the init.sqf could also be reduced and just generally look around for things within your files that are not necessarily useful and can be reduced.   

What is clean FPS?

in your mission file go to init.sqf find setViewDistance and if its high try reducing it

if you are using infiSTAR use clean FPS often

and also check your clean up scripts, make sure that objects are be cleared correctly.

MaxDynamicDebris in the init.sqf could also be reduced and just generally look around for things within your files that are not necessarily useful and can be reduced.   

If i'm not mistaken (don't recognize the users name) but it sounds like the guy is talking about my server and is one of my players (steve) ill post a link so you can see what scripts and server specs we have. As for map addons we have very minimal map addons at the moment. we have 5 very small camps with about 2-3 barracks at each, small changes to each airfield, and a custom stary trader.

As for you Mark88 try and be a little nicer nobody needs degrading comments such as yours. This player went and did this on his own without my knowledge other wise I would have given him all the necessary information. as for the rest of you guys thanks for helping him/me out! cheers!

Server info here- 

My suggestions to improve server FPS:

- Consider not running JSRS
- Check that you dont have over 3000 Epoch objects spawning at server start

- Reduce Dynamic Spawning of vehicles if you have 20+ people regularly on the server (players will push your car count over any limit if given a chance)

- Check that you dont go overboard with map editions (less is more sometimes)

this is a joke... right?

if you have some players on the server... which is the main goal... isnt it? (makes no sense to build a server to keep it empty) your epoch objects will count much more then 3000...

fact is... arma2 is coded very poorly on perfomance... and epoch (or any other mod) doesnt make it better

they put the focus on things like "oh look how beatiful this looks... the waving trees in the wind..." where the fps are dropping to 10 instead of "check out my high fps @ 150"

I never said that you should keep it under. I'm saying that once you have more than that, you will start to see server working harder and harder communicating all of this to the active players.

Depending on your hardware, that could probably be higher. I have had servers that were running 15000+ objects with ok frame rate...

I've never heard of JSRS impacting server performance, could you elaborate a bit on that?

JSRS is scripted, so that when a bullet is fired, depending on the type, you will get a certain sound that needs to travel in a certain way. While all of this is local to your machine (since you have JSRS installed), network messages are sent to all players, informing them of the bullet event and what they should hear, if they happened to be in range.  For a few bullets, this is not going to do anything to a server... but if you have an intense PvP focused server that runs 4 hour restarts and have 30+ trigger happy people, you are likely to trigger ALOT of bullet events, no? :)

Before people eviscerate me for being anti-JSRS, let me point out that I absolutely love JSRS sounds....  but the topic here was server FPS.

On my server i had decay turned off and indestructible bases. Anything build (cinder wall, wooden floor, etc...) was forever.

We started to have severe fps problems with all players, idependent of the player machine (including my self, that have a very powerfull machine).

I started a quest to find the cause of the fps problem...

Excluding the possibilities one by one, the problem was the high number of build modules on the server. Yes, believe me. This was a two day work.

My object_data table had more than 6600 lines of active objects.

It's not the lines that cause the low fps, the Epoch database is nothing considering MySql limits. The problem is that each object need to be loaded in the server memory, and need to be considered in every server cycle.

Fps difference from a server with no bases or just a few bases and a server with a great number of bases is drastic.

May be this is the reason why by default decay cycle is of 6 days, bases are destructible and maintain bases are expensive. With those default values, i believe its possible to maintain module count lower than 3000.