Enabling/Disabling side chat client side

credible

Question

Hey, guys!

There's quite a lot of spamming on our servers side chat, and our player base is kind of torn between having it enabled or disabled. Some say it adds to their experience, some say it takes away from it.

Does anyone know if there's a way to enable/disable sidechat client-side? I was thinking if there was a script to do it, it would be pretty cool to (1) make the radio lootable (2) make the side chat a radio feature that you can right click and "Turn radio on", "Turn radio off" to turn side chat on and off.

I know that the side chat is a global variable, but even though the text is sent to the client, it doesn't necesarily has to be shown, right? So does anyone know how it's done?

4 answers to this question

Yeah, thanks. I'm aware of the possibility to run scripts, I was thinking of doing it through adding extra functions to the radio, with something like this.

class ItemRadio {
        class Sidechat {
            text = "Turn Radio On";
            script = "execVM 'custom\enablesidechat.sqf'";
    class ItemRadio {
        class Sidechat {
            text = "Turn Radio Off";
            script = "execVM 'custom\disablesidechat.sqf'";

But what I need help with is the contents of enablesidechat.sqf and disablesidechat.sqf, as I don't know what would go inside said files, and I'm having a hard time figuring it out.