Epoch or Breaking Point?

SlavojChomsky

1. DayZ itself is such a laggard at this point in terms of quality as a product. However, they trump all other development due to 1st mover advantage and releasing a product on the market. Yet, with their slow development and competitors coming on to the market at a rapid pace it seems they are rapidly losing their 1st mover advantage. 

2. The Epoch Mod for ARMA II has broken a great deal of ground and has surpassed the popularity of DayZ in terms of number of servers available by nearly 2.5 to 1. Epoch does have plans to move to ARMA III however, details are vague at the moment. 

3. Breaking Point represents the furthest anyone has come regarding an ARMA III zombie game. Yet the community is tiny compared to DayZ and Epoch. 

Ostensibly, there seems to be mutual advantages for Epoch and Breaking Point to collaborate. Where, Breaking Point can offer ARMA III expertise and a slick launcher...and Epoch offers the player base and general development lead.

Could a marriage of a joint development between the two parties on the ARMA III platform work in terms of ensuring a more robust product that will knock DayZ off the block? Could there be a licencing agreement between BI/Epoch/Breaking Point? 

There are always concerns of sacrificing one player base to satisfy business decisions however, with the Breaking Point community so small and the game in such an early stage of development would it even matter if such a merger ticked off a relatively high percentage of the community? And who is to say if such a merger would even upset the player base? 

At the end of the day, its about being in a position to take advantage of market opportunities while they exist while balancing it with decisions that ensure the stability of community that is growing and will remain loyal to the product. Curious to see how this will play out...in any case best of luck.

If you only force me to play in your sand box.  I won't play

If you only offer an over priced sandbox.  I won't play

If you do not offer full control.  I won't play

These are the criteria for me as person who hosts games and attempts to build a gaming community.  The new mods might be good but as long as they are made private it pretty much excludes them from me.

Here's hoping to what Dayz Mod made big and Epoch making it bigger.

At the end of the day, its about being in a position to take advantage of market opportunities while they exist while balancing it with decisions that ensure the stability of community that is growing and will remain loyal to the product. Curious to see how this will play out...in any case best of luck.

Wonderful post indeed, you bring up an interesting scenario...but one that is not likely to happen.  A merge of BP/Epoch, that is.

They have already shown the DayZ community that Arma III really does provide a wonderful framework for a sandbox game environment, and I respect that they've gotten as far as they have.

We do not share the same vision however,  modding DayZ was a wonderful educational experience and we love it for what it is...but moving forward we hope to tackle new challenges and provide a new scenario to explore for everyone.

Essentially, this means our own code, assets and concept(not to mention the best god damned community).  Even while we were in the thick of modding Arma II-Dayz and shaping Epoch, we tried our best to become self reliant.

We needed assets and a system to carry out the base-building concept, so we made the assets and coded it up.

We disliked the expendable value of mounted vehicle ammunition, so we did the same thing.  There were never any of those magazines previously available in any Arma game, so we made them.

The same shall reign true, if not more-so in Arma III...you won't be seeing any re-skinned Lee Enfields or switch-blade "code excerpts" from DayZ or any other mod.  We may not get everything we want into this game, but be sure we won't just release some re-hashed variant of things you've seen before.

We've just hit some pretty large milestones recently, so stay tuned as things develop.

I am really looking forward to where you guys are going to take this project. It stands to testament that for multiplayer zombie survival games DayZ Epoch has, in my eyes, become the benchmark game that I just cannot see past at the moment. The size of the community speaks for itself and the amount of servers compared to the original mod is just astounding. Also the fact that, as developers, you can see genuine talent amongst the community and don't hesitate to use scripts etc deemed suitable for the mod as a standard feature.

Keep up the good work.

Posts like vbawol/Sequisha's make me very excited for your work on Arma 3. I know we have many months to wait before it's available for public (or private) testing, but I am looking forward to this more than any other Arma 3 mod. Can you guys confirm you're going to be submitting it for the Make Arma Not War contest?

Posts like vbawol/Sequisha's make me very excited for your work on Arma 3. I know we have many months to wait before it's available for public (or private) testing, but I am looking forward to this more than any other Arma 3 mod. Can you guys confirm you're going to be submitting it for the Make Arma Not War contest?

I'm sure they are.