No Humanity Gain From Killing Bandits

Armifer

Question

As the title says, I've testing in Epoch 1.0.1.5 default files, we reset humanity in database before each test , and these are my findings.

Test 1

player1 has 2500 humanity (Survivor)

player2 has 2500 humanity (Survivor)

Player1 shoots player2 until dead, and result is player1 has 139 humanity.

Result is as expected. Decrease in humanity

Test2

player1 has 5000 humanity (Hero)

Player1 shoots player2 until dead, and result is player1 has 2956 humanity.

Test3

player1 has -5000 humanity (Bandit)

Player1 shoots player2 until dead, and result is player1 has -7862 humanity.

Test4

player1 has 0 humanity (Survivor)

player2 has 15000 humanity (Hero)

Player1 shoots player2 until dead, and result is player1 has -4612 humanity.

Result was unexpected. Large decrease in humanity (about double the loss) which seems dependent how high positive humanity is. The higher positive humanity, the more a player loses for killing a hero.

Now here is where it doesn't make sense.

Test5

player1 has 0 humanity (Survivor)

player2 has -5000 humanity (Bandit)

Player1 shoots player2 until dead, and result is player1 has -2271 humanity.

Result is incorrect, the player1 should have gained humanity for killing a bandit.

Test6

player1 has -5000 humanity (Bandit)

player2 has -10000 humanity (Bandit)

Player1 shoots player2 until dead, and result is player1 has -7356 humanity.

Result is incorrect, the player1 should have gained humanity for killing a bandit.

Test7

player1 has 5000 humanity (Hero)

player2 has -5000 humanity (Bandit)

Player1 shoots player2 until dead, and result is player1 has 2984 humanity.

Result is incorrect, the player1 should have gained humanity as a hero for killing a bandit.

So in conclusion, it seems something is affecting the humanity system as it is not working as intended. Humanity should be gained for killing bandits, but that is not the case. It is working correctly for killing hero's, players lose extra humanity, and for survivors killing survivors it seems flat overall. Just shooting a player and not killing cause a couple hundred points lost in humanity, then the kill itself adds to the loss. Hopefully this can be fixed in next patch.

18 answers to this question

I've working on a fix to submit to vbawol, where it doesn't penalize players for killing bandits, but instead gives them humanity. It will also penalize players more from killing heroes. It is currently working on my test box, but it needs more fine tuning. Hopefully it will make its way into the mod!

I have not gotten any commits based on this so far, If Armifer or anyone is not going to commit any changes for this I will look into it.

Also, one thing that is not in Armifer's formula is the human kills as this also has an impact on the humanity gained.

Totally forgot about this thread. Ive used a very simple fix to prevent loss of humanity for bandit killing, and prevent loss of humanity for shooting them. In further testing it was 100 per shot lost with a main weapon, and 2000 for the death. Also if an aggressor with positive humanity shot a defender, the defender can retaliate within their combat time to kill the aggressor without penalty (Hero gets flustered, shoots survivor who then defends self and kills hero, it will count as a bandit kill since this was self defense).

In the formula I did see that number of kills are taken into account, but so few players live long enough to get a very high human kill count, most have a higher bandit kill count since everyone is mostly bandits without this fix. One thing I never did see though, was an increase in humanity for killing a player, regardless of kills. To expedite the testing, I would revive the player via the database so they would accrue kills, and I would reset only humanity. It seemed they had negligible effect on the data in the second round of testing. The changes I did only prevent excessive humanity loss, there is no humanity gain changed, I really didnt see it as a issue since being a hero should mean something, not just killing a few players that didnt get a chance to shoot first, that happen to be bandits. Hero needs to be earned, but I wouldn't be against a 25 or 50 humanity increase for killing a player bandit.

I'll PM you or would you like me to do edits on your github?

I've noticed some issues with the humanity system also, I'm playing as a bandit on my server at the moment and when I killed a neutral player +2500 yesterday I got no humanity penalty for it, Player killed player with X weapon and X distance did come up to confirm I got the kill, has also been reported by a couple of other people. I am running Overpoch and wonder if it's possible some of the Overwatch weapons could be interfering with this since I was using one.

For some reason I get no +Humanity when killing bandits.

I've killed a friend of mine a few times now, he has -100k. I have 6000 and get 0 from killing him.

I do however get minus from killing other Heros and Survivors.

Any fix to this as it's hard enough as it is to get Hero =P

well you guys could try out the following and tell the results:

fn_damgeHandler.sqf

replace this line

if (!_canHitFree && !_isBandit && !_isPZombie) then {

with this

if (!_canHitFree && !_isPZombie) then {

and comment this line out:

_isBandit = (player getVariable["humanity",0]) <= -5000;

not tested!

But should work if i read that right ^^"

I will give this a try as soon as i can.

// I realy dont mind about that "can free hit" or "he started first so no humanity" I would be happy if it is simple as that:

You kill a survivor = -Humanity

You kill a hero       = -Humanity

You kill a bandit    = +Humanity