Reliable Epoch Server Hosts?

boxman80

Can anyone here recommend a good host for Epoch? I'm interested in hearing from other server administrators who have good/bad feedback about their Epoch box hosts. 

We presently use DayZ.st and after almost a week of no traders (since the 1.0.1.4 update) and no estimated date for a fix and little feedback on the issue it's self,  not to mention slow version upates, our users are starting to lose patience and it's harming our server attendances.

So I would like to at least have a contingency plan worked out should we decide to switch host, pending the outcome of this issue and how long it is going to take them to get updated to 1,0,1,5. 

I don't want to bad mouth .st as I have been really satisfied with them supporting Day Z Vanilla, and I like how straight forward it is to install Epoch on their servers; but they really seem to be struggling with their Epoch support and I was disappointed in the way they have tried to pass the buck and blame the Epoch developers.

We've used Vilayer before and were relatively satisfied but again they were slow with updates and struggled with DayZ mods (we were running a  Taviana server with them for 4 months that suffered persistent errors) so I would prefer to try someone else. Ive seen a  lot of HFB servers and really like the look of them and also seen Extreme servers but Id like to hear some user testimonies first as I dont want to have to keep moving hosts and disrupting our users. 

Cheers

I use verthosting as well after some recommendations from Epoch dev's among others. Dayz.st took far to long to update to 1.0.1.4 and I can't even imagine how long it'll take them to update to 1.0.1.5 as well. boxman80 as far as traders after the update, you need to change your servertraders.sqf and some of your mission files to allow the changes. The best way to compare if you run lots of mission file additions would be to get the stock mission and server files and use something like notepad ++ to compare and find out what you're missing.

I'm using ViLayer and have been for the past month.

I'm not going to lie and say its been problem free as it has not however it has mostly been me learning how to use the ACP. There support is not great however they have responed to me within 24h each time i have contacted support.

They update epoch quite fast, in fact 1.0.1.5 was updated the day after it was released!! With ViLayer you also have the option to update the files your self and not wait for them to do the live sync. I will be posting how to do this soon on the install board.

The main thing is the host is right for you, I'm in England and so a lot of host was no good as didn't have a server in England, ViLayer did so that's why i chose them. Also they give full source file access and the ability to edit files while the server is running and the changes get implemented the next time the server restarts.

Anyone know a host that doesn't interfere with admin's/server owner's editing files such as the Hiveext.ini ?

www.dayz.st doesn't allow editing/downloading/uploading of the file or anyothers that i have attempted therefore you cant fix things like base building stuff disapearing after 5 days.

https://www.hfbservers.com/

full access to all the files and database.

$5-10 cheaper per month for a 50slot than any other host ive seen

Not sure if everyone gets it now, but they gave me a free 5man teamspeak. Works perfect for people to report server issues

They had 1.0.1.1 before anyone else ready to install and had 1.0.1.4 the day it was on commander. Though still waiting for 1.0.1.5

Anyone know a host that doesn't interfere with admin's/server owner's editing files such as the Hiveext.ini ?

www.dayz.st doesn't allow editing/downloading/uploading of the file or anyothers that i have attempted therefore you cant fix things like base building stuff disapearing after 5 days.

verthosting allows this as well

I'm using ViLayer and have been for the past month.

I'm not going to lie and say its been problem free as it has not however it has mostly been me learning how to use the ACP. There support is not great however they have responed to me within 24h each time i have contacted support.

They update epoch quite fast, in fact 1.0.1.5 was updated the day after it was released!! With ViLayer you also have the option to update the files your self and not wait for them to do the live sync. I will be posting how to do this soon on the install board.

The main thing is the host is right for you, I'm in England and so a lot of host was no good as didn't have a server in England, ViLayer did so that's why i chose them. Also they give full source file access and the ability to edit files while the server is running and the changes get implemented the next time the server restarts.

Just to confirm and for info;  I went for HFB (and I'm still running .st on one of our other servers) and HFB use the exact same interface and structure as Vilayer, so if you like Vilayer you will like HFB. In hindsight I'd say Vilayer probably are quicker and more professional in their support approach though but so far HFB have been fine and I have no complaints. I'll feedback a couple of months down the line though after some real "testing" of their services.  

Just to confirm and for info;  I went for HFB (and I'm still running .st on one of our other servers) and HFB use the exact same interface and structure as Vilayer, so if you like Vilayer you will like HFB. In hindsight I'd say Vilayer probably are quicker and more professional in their support approach though but so far HFB have been fine and I have no complaints. I'll feedback a couple of months down the line though after some real "testing" of their services.  

Vert also use the same interface.

Its just reassuring to know we've now got the same access as other server admins now. Dayz.st is good for dayz vanilla  in that it has it's own powerful, specifically written software, but having no access to the core files has really hit us bad.

personally i find dayz.st a great host for beginners that don't know what there doing. it provides a very powerful control panel that is simple to use. Unfortunately for dayz.st anyone that wants more then a few simple scripts soon move on to other hosts.

If dayz.st was to create a new level of servers (advanced servers) and gave people the tcadmin control panel I'm sure people would stick with them and move to the advanced servers as needed. sadly they don't and so are unfortunately pushing people away when they want more.

DayzPriv says they may have Epoch up and running by this weekend, with a special control panel made for Epoch. They are the best host I've found, after triying 4 or 5 other hosts. Their support ticket is very fast, usually answered within an hour, unlike another host I've used that feels 48 hours is ok. They also have live chat that is manned almost 24/7 and they have a free 3 day trial. FTP access is included. As soon as they have Epoch available, I will be hosting with them.

Im using Xstream gaming ATM and the control panel is really indepth but most of the feautres don't work or seem to work for dayz Epoch (such as KK's Map AND the start loadout editor).

Also as a beginer that is trying to learn, changing settigns such as vehicle limit, deletion of objects such as sandbags/wire/tents, Full moon etc etc, their CP is pretty frustrating to use.

I might take a look at vilayer/hfb after my month with xstream is up though.

Me and my team are looking for a server with this features:

- Chernarus or other good map;

-Day z epoch;

-Self Bloodbag(optional);

-Custom bases;

-Clan bases (important)

-Auto refuel;(important);

-trade cities;

-other stuffs like Heli lifting :D

-populated server;(important)

If anyone knows one server that includes this (important marked things) pls let me know!

Thank you guys

Extreme Clan (X3M NotBad)

I used dayz.st for about four months and Vilayer for about a month. I feel they are both terrible for their own reasons. Dayz.st had their servers terribly configured, constantly desyncing was always an issue due to a shared database, server machines with more game servers then it is able to handle, only offered basic access to files, had a terrible support process, and claims to have a highly customized back-end which can often make updates/patches take weeks to be distributed (one bug I had fixed myself for a couple weeks before they issued a fix). They did do some things well, like notifying the server of an impending restart, or having an easy to use web-interface, and when I canceled they were quick to issue my pro-rated refund. Vilayer had their servers configured much better, offered more file access, had a better support process though the support team was not very good, had a ton of directories set up with files linked and duplicated but not functional/read, liked to jack their servers up and then take forever to fix it, would restart the server without warning, and was only willing to issue a pro-rated credit for future services when I canceled.

Below is what I posted within the Vilayer topic on the DayZ Mod Forum, which can be read here.

My experience with Vilayer thus far...

I ordered my private hive DayZ Mod game server with Vilayer LTD on June 9 after a couple hours of restless sleep because of frustrations with Dayz.st. After ordering I went back to sleep while the account was fully activated. I awake several hours later, with an activated account, but did not have FTP access. First support ticket submitted and it was resolved in about one hour; awesome.

That same day I get to configuring the server (Vilayer LTD has a lot more features than Dayz.st has), uploading mission file, and then go to import my SQL DB. Unfortunately, I cannot connect to the SQL DB, despite the fact the game server is on. Second support ticket submitted, where I state the game server is on. It was responded to just 6 minutes later and support informed me the server must be turned on for the SQL DB to be running. I respond by re-stating that the game server is on. Within 15 minutes I am magically able to connect to the SQL DB. Issued resolved (either by support or divine intervention) within 38 minutes.

June 12th I submit a ticket because my time in my control panel is different from the game server and because I can't figure out which .ArmA2OAProfile to edit to change server difficulty settings; there are several. About 12 hours and 30 minutes later I get a response advising me to change my profile time within the panel (duh, lol...) and then a "I don’t know which file it is, but I will find out for you..." response. I respond within an hour. I then do not get a reply from Vilayer for roughly 6 days and 14 hours, which they apologized for and blamed the increased support response time on the incompatibility you will read about below, but the response has the answer I was looking for.

June 15th I submit a ticket because I am unable to connect to the database via a PHP script. I provide the error message, which based on my reseach is generally caused by connections being refused by the SQL server. I get a response just over an hour later stating that they don't provide support for third party SQL applications, they can connect just fine, and I may be putting in the wrong IP/port or my game server is stopped when I try to connect. I respond by stating that I never requested assistance with the third party tool, since that is not their problem, however I am requesting support to open access to the SQL DB on the game server which I rent from Vilayer. I also state that I have zero issues connecting to the server using something like NaviCat/HeidiSQL, only when connecting to PHP base SQL admin tools; I tried three different ones. An hour later I send a follow-up message that maybe it is the socket. One day and 18 hours later I get "no" response and maybe the firewall on my web host is blocking it, and they can connect just fine. I respond within an hour stating that my web host is not blocking the connection (way to try passing the buck), that I don't have issues connecting to other databases, and that all of these PHP tools have simple ip/port/user/db/pass configs. About two hours and 30 minutes later I get a "sorry for the confusion" reply and that they do not support PHP my admin due to security issues. While I do not like the answer, I can accept it and thank the support person to taking ownership of the issue. I then suggest having the small PHP script be part of the install process for the mod I am using and accessible somehow via the control panel. June 19th I get a response saying that it is totally possible to connect to the SQL DB via a PHP script and "Any of our Web Hosting packages will support this php system." The CEO, Lee Benson, offers help setting it up via Skype/TS3, but I do not take him up on the offer because I know he has no idea what he is talking about, it won't work, and I don't feel like engaging in a voice conversation with the guy, I have better things to do. I respond within 5 minutes asking for clarifation as to whether I can use my own web hosting or I need to get web hosting from Vilayer? June 20th I have to respond to the ticket advising support to make sure they read the entire ticket because it is merged with an unrelated ticket. About 12 hours later I get a response that they will look into it. I again ask for clarification if I need web hosting with Vilayer or not. I get a response about 15 hours later saying "sorry" and my web host should work. I respond within 30 minutes saying that if that is the case, why am I unable to connect to the Vilayer SQL DB via a PHP script, and provide a copy/paste of three different config files for these scripts, which is basically ip/port/user/db/pass, and state that I have zero issues connecting via HeidiSQL/NaviCat. About 11 hours later on June 21 I get a response that it appears to be a socket issue (lol, called it) and that they will work with the coders to get it resolved; I just respond with thanks. On June 27th I get a "we didn't forget about you response." Ticket automatically closed on June 30th. Whatever, not really a big deal, relatively speaking.

June 16th I submit an advisory ticket that an application add-on which can be used to send scheduled messages does not install and that the Battleye Extended Controls (BEC) are not working. Approximately 26 hours and 30 minutes later I get a copy/paste response, that my server should be fully functional again in 30 minutes. Actually, it was the exact same response I got from the above ticket. It fails to actually answer my ticket, which I state. Support responds by saying that they know, but just wanted to advise me that my server would be restarting multiple times and that they are looking into the issue. About 18 hours later I respond by saying that the issues still exists. Eight hours later the ticket is marked as "answered" so I respond again saying that no answer has been given. About 12 hours later I am advised that "there is a major update coming out tonight that will fix the installation issues on server messages and fix a huge amount of other issues currently in out bug list with the DayZ Package."

June 17th my game server goes down with a status of "unknown." I am unable to make any sort of connection to the machine. A response was sent approximately five hours later saying that their scripts are not compatible with the latest DayZ mod update and they hope to have it resolved soon. I get another response 4 hours and 30 minutes later that my game server "will be fully functional again within the next 30 minutes." Two hours later my server is still down and I just go to bed. When I wake up the game server is running except...

June 18th my game server has been totally wiped, reset, and set to "default." I also received an email stating that servers affected will get a two week billing cycle extension; awesome. Thankfully, I was able to export my database the day prior just before the server exploded so I begin configuring & uploading everything; had I not done that I would be pissed. Initially, I am unable to start the server because my account is limited to 40 slots, which is how my config files were set, but the game kept starting with 64 slots. After just over three hours the server starts magically working, but I am unable to connect to the SQL database. Approximately 15 minutes later I am advised to run the "change database password" script, which works. I am then able to finish setting my server up... again.

June 18th I submit a ticket that in an effort to get the BEC working I uninstalled it, deleted the configuration folder via FTP, then reinstalled BEC. However, it did not recreate the configuration files. I ask for assistance to replace the file with the Vilayer default configuration file. About 12 hours later I respond that since the whitelist application is also not working I tried to totally reinstall everything by resetting my account to default, but this did not work.I get a response 19 hours later that they are looking into it. This ticket is merged by someone with the ticket created on June 15th.

June 24 I submit a ticket referencing the above tickets asking when this update is coming and asking about the two week billing cycle extension. Within 15 minutes I get a response that they are still working on getting stuff working and he will get the two week extension added to my account. Then about 3 hours after that someone else in support responds by saying "we know about the issues with BEC" and that they have made the "server messages" application for use in lieu of. Confused I respond by asking for some kind of round about ETA; am I expected to wait a day, a couple days, a week? I also ask how the two week billing extension works as it is not reflected in my account details nor on my PayPal subscription. Within 30 minutes I get the following response, "Because we know BEC has not been working we had made another program just to run messages in the ACP addon control panel called 'Server Messages'" I send a response within a minute that the server messages application does not install. Approximately 2 hours later I get a "sorry, we are having issues" message. 35 minutes later I respond again because neither of my questions were answered; When will the BEC/whitelist/server message applications work, and how does the two week billing extension work? Just over an hour later I get a response that they hope to have it working within a few days and the ticket has been flagged to be seen by someone else. This is all acceptable. About 2 hours and 30 minutes after that the two weeks have been added to my account.

June 26th when my server goes to restart is has an empty -mod= switch, causing it to not load the mod. After about 90 minutes of looking to see if I can edit the command line, I submit a ticket. Approximately 12 hours later I get a response and the server is fixed. They blame the issue on changes they made to the start script not working right.

June 27th I get an email from Leo "Lee" Benson, CEO, that the add-on scripts for vanilla DayZ should now be working.

June 28th I submit a ticket about two hours after my game server shutdown and became inaccessible. I get a response about 7 hours later stating that it works.

June 28th I also submitted a follow-up ticket asking what is going on with the BEC/whitelist/server message applications. One of the reasons I switched to Vilayer was because I would no longer need to run this stuff on my second computer. Up until this point I had been patient because I was given a two week extension to my billing cycle, but it has now been two weeks since my server was wiped and these issues all started, so my patience will begin to wear thin soon. On June 30th, while playing a game, the server suddenly disconnects everyone *without warning*... once... twice... I say on TS, "I wonder if they are responding to my ticket about BEC/whitelist/server messages..." after the third restart "Matt - Vilayer" attempts to join the server a couple times, but is kicked for not being on the whitelist. It is at this point I note how professional it is of him to notify the server that he was going to restart the server; what a douche. Thankfully no one was flying at the time. He responds to my ticket that the add-on applications are now working, and that there is a large backlog of support tickets after the 1.7.7 update incident.

June 30th at approximately 0145 hours CDT, just a couple hours after the last ticket ended, my server goes down with a status of "unknown." After two hours I say F this and go to sleep. I submit a ticket 9 hours after the server went down. As I type this my server is still down and my ticket has not been responded to.

The server went down a couple other times and I did not bother to submit a ticket, thinking it would resolve itself. Thankfully, they did. I will let the reader make their own judgments based on my experience thus far. 

Just an update: The ticket which I submitted on Sunday, June 30, at 10:40 AM was responded to on Tuesday, July 2, at 4:10 PM. This is over 53 hours after my ticket; 62 hours after my server went down. The response stated that there was a hardware failure, they were able to save the data, and they would be extended my bill date by 2 weeks plus the down time.

Unfortunately for Vilayer, I had already ordered a VDS/VPS from another hosting company and was in the middle of setting it up at that time. I have since cancelled my account with Vilayer. I had high hopes for Vilayer, but they fell far far short of my expectations. 

Another update: I put in a refund request on July 3rd, which was not responded to until July 10th; they blamed an update to their ticket system to prevent spam. The pro-rated refund they offered was a credit to my account for future Vilayer services, which I have absolutely zero intent on ever purchasing.

My conclusion: Vilayer is not a good hosting provider in support or reliability and people should avoid them.

Fighter: Thank you for recommending NFO Servers. I switched to them, under a VDS/VPS plan, and could not be happier. 

@Anthony - that was basically my experience with Vilayer. Server down on June 17, ticket resolved July 08. Server back down 1 week later.

Regarding your dedicated server, was there a guide you followed or did you already know to manage one? I'm considering a dedicated server but I admit my server knowledge is limited. 

• 4 weeks later...

Well, myself and my friend steve have had our DayZPriv.com Epoch server for about a week or so now and they have been pretty awesome. Their game changer control panel is still a bit of a work in progress but works very well up to now. Their customer support is very good and you always get a fast response. One small issue is that we don't have access to the server mission PBO files yet as they want to keep degree of control over the servers initially to see how things go (just launched), but I have been promised access very soon.  On the whole I very highly recommend them. :)

Their optional antihax and admin tools are also excellent.

Edit, forgot the server address: 

85.25.226.114:2601

Well, myself and my friend steve have had our DayZPriv.com Epoch server for about a week or so now and they have been pretty awesome. Their game changer control panel is still a bit of a work in progress but works very well up to now. Their customer support is very good and you always get a fast response. One small issue is that we don't have access to the server mission PBO files yet as they want to keep degree of control over the servers initially to see how things go (just launched), but I have been promised access very soon.  On the whole I very highly recommend them. :)

Their optional antihax and admin tools are also excellent.

Edit, forgot the server address: 

85.25.226.114:2601

Hey neiljb, does their antihack require whitelisting actions?