Connection issues

BetterDeadThanZed

Question

I decided that I'd like to check out Epoch 1.0.6.2's new features so I rented a server from a GSP to check it out. I'm setting up a Lingor server. I've been having a problem where my ping could be normal at one moment, then shortly thereafter, it shoots up high, in the hundreds, sometimes in the thousands. I disabled all of my mods (only had single currency, safezones and infistar added. I have the same results with those enabled or disabled. When the ping is high, I can alt-tab to the desktop and do a tracert to the server IP and that is normal while my ping in-game is super high. This tells me that something about the server software is causing an issue. Since it's just a test server, I'm the only one on it so I can't get others to test, but I think they'd have the same problem. Sometimes the ping gets into the thousands and eventually the server crashes. Nothing in the log is showing any errors, just the standard "Server: Network message XXXX is pending" messages. The GSP moved me to another machine in the same data center and while the FPS improved, the problem persisted. I am thinking maybe the basic.cfg is the problem:

language="English";
adapter=-1;
3D_Performance=1500000;
Resolution_Bpp=32;

This is what they say is default for Epoch... not sure about that.

Any thoughts about what I can try next?

7 answers to this question

@BetterDeadThanZed

Hey, I had a similar problem long time ago. It sounds weird but it was a relation between infistar and Battleye. I took the normal epoch filters and used them with battleye and infistar + many custom scripts. As I had no plan about battleye filters I did no notice that every second the script.txt log grows about 500kbs that causes the massive pings and lags in my situation. Disable battleye as a test and check the size of your logs.

I decided to reinstall the server and start from scratch but now that you say that, I did notice my scripts.log was almost 4MB in size. I didn't even connect that with the problem. I would have just disabled BE to see if that fixed the problem. Oh well, best to start fresh, but when I install Infistar, I'll use the Epoch filters instead of the ones that come with Infistar.