How to update from 106 to 1061 without starting over?

Bricktop

Honestly I didn't realize 1061 was coming because I was not paying attention.  

So I updated to v106 last month. 

I spent the last few weeks adding scripts and customizing my server.

How would I update to 1061 without starting over?  

I don't mind doing the work I just need a guide.

Thanks,

Generally, just compare the mission file and any customized code in the server. There's a good diff plugin for notepad++ and SQF syntax highlighter which makes the process much easier. you can also use the history feature on github to view changes to files, if needed.

https://notepad-plus-plus.org/download/v7.3.2.html

https://sourceforge.net/projects/npp-compare/

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=8680

As icomrade said. Use those tools. Many admins install scripts/mods willy nilly and don't remember what they have changed. They try to to do it fast as possible. Make notes next to your changes with a //. Alot of issues is that admins don't document what they have changed in files. And when an update comes out they are lost as what to do. or don't remember what files they have changed. (Guillty of that myself back in the day) Use a service like git to document your changes. That way you will know what files you edited with time stamps.  And if something breaks you can just roll back since the last change or whenever. When you run a server you have to take on the responsibility of it. Document your changes, make notes. you will be better prepared for future changes. And always make backups!!

Another tool that no-one has mentioned is DiffMerge (https://sourcegear.com/diffmerge/) It's an amazing tool for comparing files or directories against each other.

When I converted my 1.0.6 server to 1.0.6.1 the other day, the main things that needed merging were:

• dayz_server files that had changed (compile\ and system\)
  • fn_selfActions (I use a custom version so this needed updating)
  • My custom variables.sqf (needed updating for the new variables (enabling groups etc) and new userActions)
  • init.sqf and description.ext
  • Edit your config\servername\config.cfg and change the version to 1.0.6.1 on the first line.
  • Edit your mission.sqm and change the version to 1.0.6.1 about line 34.
  • Battleye filters (this was the most time consuming TBH)

No scripts really needed updating since nothing much has changed, Unless of course you are running overrides for certain Epoch things (i.e the Advanced Trading exploit)

Can I just change out the mission files and server pbo, replacing any files in the arma2oa root that match? There are a lot more files on the server than what is provided in the packet. I don't need to save anything from my old server, I just created it. Also, I I have battleye disabled since it is a private server for me and a few friends.

1 minute ago, Birgitte said:

Can I just change out the mission files and server pbo, replacing any files in the arma2oa root that match? There are a lot more files on the server than what is provided in the packet. I don't need to save anything from my old server, I just created it.

That would be the best way to do it to be honest, Copy the mission PBO/folder you want to use (I.e DayZ_Epoch_11.Chernarus) and the dayz_server.pbo and you should be pretty much good to go.

Don't forget to edit your config\servername\config.cfg and change the version to 1.0.6.1 on the first line.

5 minutes ago, salival said:

That would be the best way to do it to be honest, Copy the mission PBO/folder you want to use (I.e DayZ_Epoch_11.Chernarus) and the dayz_server.pbo and you should be pretty much good to go.

Don't forget to edit your config\servername\config.cfg and change the version to 1.0.6.1 on the first line.

I cannot locate that file, where is it? Keep in mind I'm dealing with an online server interface. Again, I apologize for my obvious lack of knowledge.

Just now, Birgitte said:

I cannot locate that file, where is it? Keep in mind I'm dealing with an online server interface. Again, I apologize for my obvious lack of knowledge.

It may differ depending on your host to be honest so in regards to that i'm not sure, I just know most places have that in config\ or similar, I know that's not much help

2 minutes ago, Birgitte said:

wow. I have no idea how I double posted like that. Is that just for display purposes? The host name?

Display purposes yes and I guess DayZ Launcher would use that information to determine what version your server is. (maybeeeee)

11 hours ago, salival said:

Another tool that no-one has mentioned is DiffMerge (https://sourcegear.com/diffmerge/) It's an amazing tool for comparing files or directories against each other.

When I converted my 1.0.6 server to 1.0.6.1 the other day, the main things that needed merging were:

• dayz_server files that had changed (compile\ and system\)
  • fn_selfActions (I use a custom version so this needed updating)
  • My custom variables.sqf (needed updating for the new variables (enabling groups etc) and new userActions)
  • init.sqf and description.ext
  • Edit your config\servername\config.cfg and change the version to 1.0.6.1 on the first line.
  • Edit your mission.sqm and change the version to 1.0.6.1 about line 34.
  • Battleye filters (this was the most time consuming TBH)

No scripts really needed updating since nothing much has changed, Unless of course you are running overrides for certain Epoch things (i.e the Advanced Trading exploit)

Perfect! This is what I was hoping to get.

I really appreciate you taking the time to add these details. 

I can't believe I missed this update. I was so excited about 106 I just jumped on board and started editing.

So many hours spent on this game. I love it and hate it at the same time.

Thanks again, This is a great community!  

2 hours ago, Bricktop said:

Perfect! This is what I was hoping to get.

I really appreciate you taking the time to add these details. 

I can't believe I missed this update. I was so excited about 106 I just jumped on board and started editing.

So many hours spent on this game. I love it and hate it at the same time.

Thanks again, This is a great community!  

No worries man, happy to help.

17 hours ago, Birgitte said:

If I disable battleye, do I need to change the filters?

Another Option - Remove all the .txt files from your BE folder. (matching .log files can be deleted safely as well and you might want to keep bans.txt) 

This will allow you to run BE for other stuff like auto restarts with warnings and disable those restriction kicks.

[Always make backups before changes] 

Good luck,