Hive taking over a minute to load/waiting for auth..

lwbuk

Question

Sorry for another question!

So Ive ordered a dedi box from OVH, the MC-32 one just to see if I could get it working as I have no experience with this at all!

Ive installed Win 2012R2 trial, xampp, got all the server stuff done and its all good..

Except!

When I start the console, and the game loads, it stops as it should until a player joins. The player joins and on thier screen they see the waiting to authenticate screen and its starts to count up.

The issue is, the console sits there saying game started for a while before the hive starts loading, all the while the authenticate screen is still counting up. It gets ato about 80-90 before you actually load into the game, which isnt normal!

The database has about 5500k objects, but even so, shouldnt take that long. Ive got the same database on my test server and it loads far faster, and also on my home pc server.

Ive messed around with my.ini, but no real difference has been made and Im not really sure what Im doing, Ive just copied other examples off the web.

The database is in c:/xammp on a 240gb ssd in raid0

The server files are in c:/epochserver....on the same disk. Im aware databases run better on a seperate disk, But I dont have that option right now.

Im guessing its either an issue with speed connecting to the database or something is stalling it from starting quick enough.

I read about clean up scripts being run before start up could cause this, and that would make sense, as when loaded into the game, loads of stuff is missing, specifically stuff thats not been mantained or interacted with in the last few days.

However I cant find these scripts anywhere, Ive looked using navicat in events, Ive looked using phpadmin and also heidy sql. I can find no reference to any events, querys, functions or anything.

In Hiveext.ini, cleanup is set to -1

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Im amazed I got this far on my own, but this one little issue I just cant figure out.

18 answers to this question

Ok, still struggling with this, but also a new issue has arises. Instead of the waiting for authentication screen taking ages, its loading me into the game, but with a black screen and just the HUD showing. Then after a minute or so, everything loads in. Again on the console, the database doesn't even start loading until a out 30s-minute after the game loads once a player connects.

Im sure its a MySQL issue, but not sure why or how to fix it. Maybe xampp is the issue and I should try a different sql server?

I've tried with a Completely empty database and still the same, it takes a minute for the hive to start loading once the game starts in which time you are thrown into the game but just with the back screen and Hud.  It wouldn't be so bad if it took that time but kept you in the load screen, although no ther server Have or have been on takes that amount of time  

I'll have a look at the rpt's in a minute

Can't see anything in rpt that point to why there is such a delay. 

Just tried with completely standard fresh epoch files and there is still a delay, albeit not as long and you are still thrown into the game before the hive has finished loading meaning a long black screen. 

Of course this only happens on the first login after a restart and isn't the end of the world, but I've not experienced it before. Usually you stay at waiting for auth screen and then load into game once it's ready  but this seems to skip that part and load you straight in. 

Thanks Ebay, thats solved the black screen issue, but Im still having to wait 90 seconds or more for the database to load. At least Im on the waiting for Auth... screen rather than black! Just now I even got kicked back to lobby and had to re log where it took another 80 seconds on top, even though nothing has changed since the first restart and login where it took 90 seconds.

There are about 6k items in the database, but I use the same database and files on 3 other servers and all load in under half the time this new dedi server is.

It must be an sql issue im sure, but I just dont know what to change in the my.ini and basic.cfg to get the most from it.

If you could help with that Id be forever grateful!

20 hours ago, lwbuk said:

Thanks Ebay, thats solved the black screen issue, but Im still having to wait 90 seconds or more for the database to load. At least Im on the waiting for Auth... screen rather than black! Just now I even got kicked back to lobby and had to re log where it took another 80 seconds on top, even though nothing has changed since the first restart and login where it took 90 seconds.

There are about 6k items in the database, but I use the same database and files on 3 other servers and all load in under half the time this new dedi server is.

It must be an sql issue im sure, but I just dont know what to change in the my.ini and basic.cfg to get the most from it.

If you could help with that Id be forever grateful!

I'm also using MC-32 Game server hosted in France.

https://mysqltuner.codeplex.com/ Download that and use it to tell you what you need to change and how to optimize your my.ini. Also i recommend just installing the latest version of MYSQL server instead of using XAMPP, i noticed a slight performance increase by doing so. I run a Overpoch server with 60 Slots and have around 30-50 players on most of the time.

You can also check this out:https://forums.dayz.com/topic/51542-psa-server-admins-how-to-optimize-your-dayz-server-for-maximum-performance/

Here is my basic.cfg

MinBandwidth=10000000;
MaxBandwidth=1000000000;
MaxMsgSend=1024;
MaxSizeGuaranteed=512;
MaxSizeNonguaranteed=256;
MinErrorToSend=0.0040000002;
MinErrorToSendNear=0.039999999;
MaxCustomFileSize=792000;
Windowed=0;
adapter=-1;
3D_Performance=1;
Resolution_Bpp=32;
serverLongitude=133;
serverLatitude=-27;
serverLongitudeAuto=133;
serverLatitudeAuto=-27;

Hope this helps! If you need more help, feel free to pm me!

-Hoplox.

Hi Hoplox, many thanks for that link, I shall have a play with it later. 

I have already ditched xampp and now using MySQL community server. I also messed around with the basic.cfg a bit yesterday. 

Once the server is running its fine, 45-50 server fps, albeit with just me in game and likely to plummet when full, it's just the initial loading time straight after restart.  I'm being kicked back to the lobby before its done loading every time which isn't good. 

Great to see someone with a (few) successful servers still willing to help others out! 

I have the exact same issue. All works fine, but the initial loading after restart takes couple of minutes to start loading from the database. After it starts it loads everything within few seconds and I can connect to the server. Have you find a solution for this? I am using Windows to host the server.

Cheers,

SKO

On a windows 2012 r2 server I use WAMP 64-bit very easy to setup and use I have had no issues running wamp server with arma2 servers (even 1 database for multiple a2 servers)

Quote:    

WAMP is an acronym that means: Windows, Apache, Mysql, Php.

1. XAMPP is NOT cross-platform. There is XAMPP for Windows, XAMPP for Linux, for Mac and for Solaris, but each pack contains different pieces of software, runs differently with different performance, etc. (cross-platform means that you take the exact same piece of software and it runs the same way on different platforms ... like Azureus used to be: a jar that you could use the same way)

2. XAMPP for Windows is bloated, big time. You have mail server, FTP server, accelerator, web-dav, ssl out of the box, etc. Do you really need them all? It's not exactly an entry-level package, but in general it makes installation of everything much easier. Beyond that, any customization requires the same effort as for any other pre-made stack. But if you install on your own box, you probably don't need FTP server, do you?

3. WAMP is lighter (mostly the basics). Everything that's AMP is there, beyond that you have a couple of tools ,phpMyAdmin, sqlite, xdebug. You need SSL? You have to configure it. You want access to mail server? Must install it yourself. FTP? Ditto.

4. WAMP (like the name says) runs only on Windows (either 64/32-bit).

For a local machine on Windows, WAMP is the way to go. Light, smooth and post-install config takes a click. XAMPP for Windows isn't much of a competitor due to issues on 64-bit installation (naturally: more bloatware to install, you need to manage each piece of extra software between 32/64-bit)

I don't know why anyone would use xampp or wamp when all you really need is MySQL and MySQL workbench or a more lightweight DB administration application.  if you're installing either you already have desktop access to your server and can just RDP into the server, or remotely connect using MySQL workbench

For all of my servers, I use mysql 5.7.xx http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/ and tweak the settings accordingly (believe it or not the defaults are not always the best) https://www.percona.com/blog/2016/10/12/mysql-5-7-performance-tuning-immediately-after-installation/

Anyway, 1.0.6 uses a significantly improved server_monitor.sqf and a new loading method in HiveExt.ini. When looking into why the server took so long to start up in 1.0.5.1, I found that the HiveEXT.ini only took 2-3 seconds to load all objects from the DB into SQF, but server_monitor took minutes to spawn the objects into the game.

@lwbuk any suggestions? im getting this now aswell. using stock epoch files still taking up to 2 mins to for the hive to start.

I just sit at

1:11:44 "PRELOAD_ Functions\init [[<No group>:0 (FunctionsManager)],any]"
 1:11:44 "MPframework inited"
 1:11:45 "dayz_preloadFinished reset"

then

1:14:13 "HIVE: Starting"
 1:14:13 ["TIME SYNC: Local Time set to:",[2012,8,2,13,13],"Fullmoon:",true,"Date given by HiveExt.dll:",[2017,6,9,13,13]]
 1:14:13 "HIVE: trying to get objects"
 1:14:14 "SERVER FPS: 31  PLAYERS: 2"
 1:14:14 "HIVE: found 184 objects"
 1:14:14 "HIVE: Request sent"
 1:14:14 "HIVE: Streamed 184 objects"

installed and uninstalled every Visual C++ just incase that was the issue, still having this problem.

No errors anywhere that i can see. checked client server rpt, hive log, server log.

No major changes made to the server machine since this happened.