How to take away "gear" option for locked cars

The access point of gear is set to be X amount of meters from center.  Reduce that to .01 and you will then have to be inside of the vehicle using the Map to gain access to the gear.

Unfortunately I don't recall how that parameter is set, it could be in the vehicle addon itself but I know the MI17 used to have no outside Gear option because f its size and now it does.

Do the MI 17 gear fix in reverse I would imagine.

How does that work with the UH-1H? As the gear is in the tail is this considered the center of the model?

I think this idea is brill but as Axle pointed out needs to be discovered.

There must be somewhere in the code that has the function to check Gear.. where are you!!

i have been thinking about this and i dont know if its possiable or not but could you not...

make another column in the object_data table called something like Inventory_Locked

when you lock the car it moves all data from the Inventory column to the Inventory_Locked column and as such makes the vehicle look like it has no gear

when you unlock the car, all the data gets moved back to the inventory column and you can once again access the gear.

i have been thinking about this and i dont know if its possiable or not but could you not...

make another column in the object_data table called something like Inventory_Locked

when you lock the car it moves all data from the Inventory column to the Inventory_Locked column and as such makes the vehicle look like it has no gear

when you unlock the car, all the data gets moved back to the inventory column and you can once again access the gear.

This is possible but it would take time for the inventory to be loaded into the vehicle.

Another possible way (same as the safes). Is replace locked vehicles with another class. This class would have no gear in it at all.

The thing is this would require the devs to create a new class for every lockable vehicle in the game.

The access point of gear is set to be X amount of meters from center.  Reduce that to .01 and you will then have to be inside of the vehicle using the Map to gain access to the gear.

Unfortunately I don't recall how that parameter is set, it could be in the vehicle addon itself but I know the MI17 used to have no outside Gear option because f its size and now it does.

Do the MI 17 gear fix in reverse I would imagine.

I have attempted something like this and it did not work, if you can find the fix please link it and I will take a look.

This is possible but it would take time for the inventory to be loaded into the vehicle.

Another possible way (same as the safes). Is replace locked vehicles with another class. This class would have no gear in it at all.

The thing is this would require the devs to create a new class for every lockable vehicle in the game.

That is correct it can be done this way but not really an option as it would be alot of work and makes the whole lock/unlock process more taxing.

With that fix you would need the car to despawn and respawn everytime it was locked or unlocked as editting inventory through the database requires players to be in the lobby.

My suggestions:

1)

Perhaps you could do something like if vehicle locked "copy inventory data to new table" then run a script to remove "addweapon/addmagazine" from the vehicle which is possible to do in game, then when the unlock command is given it checks the db and does "addmagazine/addweapon" in relation to what that vehicle is in the new database table?

2)

If car is locked, it has a repeating aura on it to constantly "removeaction gear" - however not sure how much this would effect the server performance as I know even the safe zone repeating scripts can lag the server. The admin tool I use has an option for "remove scroll options" but when I use it on my safe it removes everything but gear and reload different ammo types. Now I'm not sure if this is instant or not and it just automatically pops back. However I see an issue with it perhaps people could easily just press G to access the gear anyway.

3)

Owners of the vehicle are not allowed within XX distance of the car or they get bounced XX distance away. Could potentially be exploited by pushing people into walls or blocking bases but nothing an admin can't fix if you have active admins.

4)

Use the wasteland gear system for loading items in? Not sure if it works for standard inventory. Or perhaps use the takistan life system?

5)

You use your key to "lock" the vehicle and when it locks it, it teleports it to somewhere in the debug or makes it invisible (localdeleteobj? would that work and be able to make it reappear?). Perhaps for realism it could spawn a prop in its place? Though I dont think there are props over every vehicle.

6)

In the editor you have the option to spawn vehicles in "locked" which stops even your own team accessing anything I believe, would this not work and is this something that can be done in game.. I assume its scripted so there is a way to unlock a vehicle during missions? Then the unlock command be done via the key?

Just my ideas.

That is correct it can be done this way but not really an option as it would be alot of work and makes the whole lock/unlock process more taxing.

I think people would be fine with this if it stopped stuff in their gear from being stolen though wouldnt it negate having safes though I guess if you got the owners car key you could open it.

Surely you can make the lock and unlock time really short so its not so taxing?

I think people would be fine with this if it stopped stuff in their gear from being stolen though wouldnt it negate having safes though I guess if you got the owners car key you could open it.

Surely you can make the lock and unlock time really short so its not so taxing?

even if you stop the gear from being taken the vehicle can still be destroyed. so far safes seem to be indistructable

dont know if this will work, but i have the self bloodbag script, and the text "bloodbag self" only appears when i have a bloodbag, so if the gear option could work on character-id, so if the id on the car and the palyer dont match, and the car does not have 0, then the gear optins dont show.

The problem is the gear function is coded differently I believe so its not a case of just removing that option.

I think having peoples vehicles indestructable while locked would please alot of people, though I don't agree with them being indestructable if the owner is on the server or has been in the past 20-30minutes.

Problem with DayZ is that while its trying to simulate it being real, you dont work in the world of DayZ and you don't sleep inside your base so there are inevitable times when you will have to be offline regardless and these are times when nighthawks and jobless bums can be on destroying your work so it does need something to protect your equipment while you're offline and perhaps this is a step towards it if its possible? Would solve both the gear problem and the losing equipment while offline.

I take offence to your "jobless bums" comment...... not all bums are jobless ;-) same as not all is jobless are bums :-)

Is there any buildings in game you can drive into with out wrecking the vehicle? And if possiable fly a choppa into as well. Maybe the blue hangers with doors??

Maca is right,

there are only two ways of "removing" the option "gear".

1. replace the car with a different model upon locking it

2. clear it's inventory upon locking it

So it looks like it is not possible because of the restrictions arma 2 has :(

3rd Option....

Add extra gear options like R3F/BTC... have this accessible only when holding key. Or chance based access via a Crowbar.

Add all the object classes and give them a size/weight. 

Create a pathway from Gear/Backpack to said extra cargo.

Looking at this option its a lot of work but.. will give you a Boot/Lockbox for vehicles.

All other gear would just be cosmetic and lying around vehicles interior (Access by smashing a window..)

1)

Perhaps you could do something like if vehicle locked "copy inventory data to new table" then run a script to remove "addweapon/addmagazine" from the vehicle which is possible to do in game, then when the unlock command is given it checks the db and does "addmagazine/addweapon" in relation to what that vehicle is in the new database table?

good idea like

- I lock the car then : Copy inventory to colum inventory Lock and removing info in Inventory

- I unlock the Car then : Copy inventory lock in Inventory colum and remove info in inventory lock colum

The problem with that approach is that it takes time to do these sql operations. 

I think it would be kind of annoying if you are for example in elektro for a run.

You lock your car somewhere, collect stuff. When you return to your car you have that seconds of waiting time until you can finally get in your car again.

Just imagine if you happen to be under attack from zombies or players and can't get away because of that silly database stuff.