modern vehicle pack removal question

Gostrydr

Will we need to sell off all of our vehicles from this pack before our servers update, or will the ones we already own stay until destroyed or sold after the update?

Basically:

will my star truck go poof when the server i play on updates to 1.0.2.5?

Since the modern vehicle .pbo files are no longer in the client, all of the vehicles in the pack are going to *poof* disappear.   Better get the word out to your players before updating.  If the vehicle entries stay in the database, you could manually restore lost equipment into another vehicle.  Can someone verify if that is possible?  Or are the removed vehicles also deleted out of the database?

PS to the devs- congrats on almost 3000 Epoch servers according to Dayz Commander!

-Treadd

Since the modern vehicle .pbo files are no longer in the client, all of the vehicles in the pack are going to *poof* disappear.   Better get the word out to your players before updating.  If the vehicle entries stay in the database, you could manually restore lost equipment into another vehicle.  Can someone verify if that is possible?  Or are the removed vehicles also deleted out of the database?

PS to the devs- congrats on almost 3000 Epoch servers according to Dayz Commander!

-Treadd

The vehicles wont just disappear provided everyone updates to the latest epoch.sql. With this they will just be changed out to other vehicles.

Having been around since OFP I understand the spirit of how Vilas came to this decision.  Maybe some server owners are raking in "profits" for their respective servers but it seems like the majority of the donations basically work out to just maintenance.

This simply didn't exist when addons for OFP and ARMA started.  All servers were run by BI and mods of this scale weren't around.  Times have changed and the cost of running full scale mods and servers is just part of the deal. 

Again I understand the reason why any addon maker would want to make sure their work is being received by the community in the intended ways (free or otherwise) but the days of addons ending up as just a download for personal use are far and few between. 

Having been around since OFP I understand the spirit of how Vilas came to this decision.  Maybe some server owners are raking in "profits" for their respective servers but it seems like the majority of the donations basically work out to just maintenance.

This simply didn't exist when addons for OFP and ARMA started.  All servers were run by BI and mods of this scale weren't around.  Times have changed and the cost of running full scale mods and servers is just part of the deal. 

Again I understand the reason why any addon maker would want to make sure their work is being received by the community in the intended ways (free or otherwise) but the days of addons ending up as just a download for personal use are far and few between. 

So the authors of the addon thinks people are making money on their addon? That makes no sense. No one says "I'll donate $100, but only if I get a Hello Kitty smartcar"...

I don't think its an issue of believing that the vehicle pack is "The" reason a donation is given but more of an older OFP/ARMA community standard of not tossing out your stuff to potential profit mongers. 

Its an addon ethics thing that goes way back.  Addons released for "Personal use" typically aren't on public servers, especially ones that accept donations even if those donations don't amount to profit.  Private clans is normal but this whole public process that's as large as DayZ is a new thing and many addon makers don't want their stuff involved.

Bottom line is none of us were involved in the discussion so all of this is speculation and not fact.

I was absolutely gutted when I read about this update - I loved the civilian vehicles they really added variety to the game and that's good for Day Z epoch! I get so sick of seeing the same old vehicles over and over again! Really hope something can be done to get this pack or similar packs back into Epoch in future releases!

Shame on Vilas for forcing this, Epoch was a brilliant promotion of his work.