Is there an incentive to build?

Eegore

So a guy spent most the day assembling sandbags to make a sandbag wall and I took it down in about 15 seconds.  He was pissed.\ and rightfully so considering the time to build vs. time to destroy ratio.

Why exactly would we build anything right now?

Some servers are running an additional base building mod, where the buildables are only removable by admins. Along with this, you are able to use a key coded gate system :)

Feel free to join our server and check it out!

Agreed with Axles on this one, admins can add this at their own risk- the basebuilding is meant to be a team effort imo and is more rewarding when it takes awhile to scavenge before you are able to build your own creation. As a side note, you guys at CPC have a nice server good job!

Agreed with Axles on this one, admins can add this at their own risk- the basebuilding is meant to be a team effort imo and is more rewarding when it takes awhile to scavenge before you are able to build your own creation. As a side note, you guys at CPC have a nice server good job!

I don't want GUID liked bases for the reasons stated above.  Loss is good, but not at the current build/destroy ratio.

My question is if we spend hundreds of hours building bases that take minutes to remove, who will want to do that?

It takes 30 + clothing items to make sandbags that can be bought in less time, so who will craft sandbags?

It would take hours of crafting to build a wall that any guy with an entrench tool can remove in 20 seconds.  Days of teamwork builds to be removed by a guy with tools in just a few minutes? 

The ratio seems severely leaned one way. 

It takes 30 + clothing items to make sandbags that can be bought in less time, so who will craft sandbags?

Add In Sarge AI with Custom Epoch Cloths and chance drop Sandbags, Canvas or even Burlap Also Churchies Strip Clothing From Players/AI with customized to add the Epoch Variants

SolvedStamp.jpg

It would take hours of crafting to build a wall that any guy with an entrench tool can remove in 20 seconds

Change the Remove function to if _playerid does not = owner then "Time takes Longer"

This is an Epoch people, they is gonna take your stuff. Best to get protection.

enhanced-buzz-15345-1296838997-6.jpg

Thanks we appreciate that! :)

Been thinking of the idea of using the function in BB.1.2 to allow removal of others bases on a % chance. Say 99% chance to fail and 99% chance to lose your toolbox, requires toolbox to remove.. so there would always be a chance but itd be very slim and require some effort. Obviously % chances could be changed but I'd have to ask all the people with bases what they thought :)

Add In Sarge AI with Custom Epoch Cloths and chance drop Sandbags, Canvas or even Burlap Also Churchies Strip Clothing From Players/AI with customized to add the Epoch Variants

We could also just make all wrecks have nothing but clothing and have urals spawn with 200 clothing items in them.

The problem is how it takes significantly longer to craft using the clothing method than it does to just buy the bags.  Its a mechanic that has a much better alternative just like boiling water.  Way faster to take antibiotics than it is to go through the steps to boil water, not to mention just drinking soda. 

In most games that is commonly the case. To craft something the long way it usually takes longer than buying the finished product..

Epoch is build so nothing is wasted and everything has its value. Some people will just sell vehicles and use their gold to buy everything they need.

Some prefer to use all those clothes they pick and aren't using.

I am sure epoch will get more refined soon.. early dayz.

I like it Maca. The building times I think is ok at default you are erecting a building/object. 

Non-Owner deconstruction increase I like. I wonder if there is a way to have it also decrease humanity as well.

Housing and safes should be a bit different.

Decorations/resources, walls, shacks anything not tied down in your house should be up for grabs, providing they have the time and are banditee enough to take all your stuff.

Other than that it creates an anti "I win" point to a degree with players always needing something to do if people steal their stuff.

since they serve no real function in the pvp meta-game or anything like that, they should be indestructible

should work just like a classic mmo house that you can't destroy or do any permanent damage.. with the added "dayz" flavor (full loot/perma death): you can kill people inside of it and steal from camping tents/open safes

if you can destroy things there's really no reason to do anything, it's SO freaking easy to find and destroy things, a single person with enough time can destroy everything from a server, just need a little brain and a chopper

Reducing humanity when remove owned building isn't going to be hard to implement. Not sure atm.

If other people would like to know how to adjust the building times, let me know and i will put a tutorial/code online. Im so busy at the moment trying to keep ahead of the Epoch wave, not got the time unless someone wants it.

how bout they die when they try to remove? :3

can a dev please reply with information about their plans? like, will things be indestructible and non-removable? if not, I see no point in building anything, better off hiding a safe in the jungle

how bout they die when they try to remove? :3

can a dev please reply with information about their plans? like, will things be indestructible and non-removable? if not, I see no point in building anything, better off hiding a safe in the jungle

or they break their leg and a swarm of zedz attack! Damn, I could probably come up with some evil things... 

since they serve no real function in the pvp meta-game or anything like that, they should be indestructible

should work just like a classic mmo house that you can't destroy or do any permanent damage.. with the added "dayz" flavor (full loot/perma death): you can kill people inside of it and steal from camping tents/open safes

if you can destroy things there's really no reason to do anything, it's SO freaking easy to find and destroy things, a single person with enough time can destroy everything from a server, just need a little brain and a chopper

If items could never be destroyed I would just make barriers in front of other bases rendering them permanently unusable.

Reducing humanity when remove owned building isn't going to be hard to implement. Not sure atm.

If other people would like to know how to adjust the building times, let me know and i will put a tutorial/code online. Im so busy at the moment trying to keep ahead of the Epoch wave, not got the time unless someone wants it.

What about situations where people have left a server but their stuff is in the way?  I lose humanity.

What about people the block buildings, roads with barriers and I unblock them, I'd lose humanity. 

I do not recommend turning people into bandits over construction issues.  I do however think removing items should take longer than they do now, such as the aforementioned loss of toolbox method.

Adjusting build times would be useful though.

If items could never be destroyed I would just make barriers in front of other bases rendering them permanently unusable.

You can't do that with Epoch buildables, if original DayZ objects are not using the same mechanic (my server is not updated) is just a matter of fixing that.

The 30 Meter Plot Pole gives you the ability to build in a 60 meter radius from the center.

• Tagging someone gives you the ability to build on their plot. They also get the ability to build on your plot.

What about situations where people have left a server but their stuff is in the way?  I lose humanity.

What about people the block buildings, roads with barriers and I unblock them, I'd lose humanity.

There's configuration settings to remove unused objects, they could be expanded to all the buildings if that is a problem (dunno what's the best option like making the owner do some action on the pole itself, there's several ways). You can block the construction of any objects around buildings and roads (just take a look at Daimyo's base building script).

I do not recommend turning people into bandits over construction issues.  I do however think removing items should take longer than they do now, such as the aforementioned loss of toolbox method.

Adjusting build times would be useful though.

Is up to an admin to clean up things that are not used, and from the devs to block mechanics exploitation. I really cannot believe people think objects like this should be removable by other people, they must never played on a hive with bandits. Or at least good bandits.

Give me an helicopter, a few hours and a server with destructible buildings and I will take everything you took days or weeks to gather. It's stupid, really.

I am that "bandit" that destroys stuff, but as of now its so easy I can keep about 4 groups of people from building anything on my server right now.  They know by tomorrow all their work is gone.  I cut back because people were leaving.

On the other end DayZ was designed not to be a regular MMO, its a struggle and to have permanent applications to all things built just makes it Sim City with zombies.  I'm ok with removal being difficult - but there are circumstances where people might need to remove someone else's builds for the betterment of the server, such as abandonment. 

Why should that kill them or remove their ability to use trader cities?

DayZ as I see it should be constant work to survive, not build and forget, that just leads to more rampant hoarding.