Key Recovery Dialogue for Vehicles

mikeloeven

Ok the vehicle ownership is a nice feature and prevents theft but it is still catastrophic if a key is lost of some kind of server fuckup renders a vehicle locked perminantly. appearantly administrators dont even have proper tools for key recovery.

I think vehicles should have a system similar to microsoft's NTFS creator's rights where the original person who purchased/created the vehicle will always have a dialogue option to recover the key bound by their GUID so that it cannot be corrupted

the other option would be to get rid of the asinine autolock on server restart. It is the owners responsibility to lock a vehicle and lost keys should not render a vehicle perminantly dissabled.

there is no excuse for this crap

you should not rely on 3rd party tools for a feature that is a basic maintenance task. additionally there needs to be some sort of automated system to reduce the work load on administrators since keys are so badly designed in terms of both where they are located in your inventory and what slot they take up in vehicle inventory. it is like they are specifically designed to get eaten by server bugs not to mention that key copying kits are difficult to come by. to be honest i think the keykit should be religated to providing access to other players while vehicle ownership needs to be a bit more account bound and robust a cd key or guid is a static value that is much more reliable than some key.

private ["_owner_id", "_key_colors", "_index", "_key_number", "_item"];

_owner_id = cursorTarget getVariable ["CharacterID","0"];

if (_ownerID != 0) then {
_key_colors = ["Green", "Red", "Blue", "Yellow", "Black"]
_index = floor (_owner_id / 2500)
_key_number = _owner_id - _index * 2500

_item = format["ItemKey%1%2", _key_colors select _index, _key_number];
[player, _item, 1] call BIS_fnc_invAdd;
};

I think that should work.

In a few recent cases keys were destroyed due to the database, having a recovery option would be a great boon. I am not talking about losing keys through normal play but recovering keys lost through shitty game mechanics (backpack item destruction) or from just going poof would be a nice thing to have. I have two vehicles that ate the keys stored in them, reverting back to a previous database time when the key wasn't in them. 

item ingame to copy keys... ok really XD and how easy is it to come by them not to mention that on alot of servers these arent even sold at traders making the entire thing retarted and asinine the only way that you can just say make a copy is if all players have that ability out of the gate the requirement of a rare loot item and tin to make the keys makes this unviable for newer players or players who are simply unlucky enough to not find one

UNLESS THE KEY COPY KIT IS REMOVED AND KEYS CAN BE COPPIED FOR FREE YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO BLAME USERS FOR NOT HAVING COPIES

additionally when you buy a car you get 2 keys by default no execptions so when you buy a vehicle in dayz you should get a second key in your pack right off the bat

JESUS CHRIST THE GAME IS ALREADY FUCKING HARD ENOUGH AT LEAST FIX THE KEY BULLSHIT

though in terms of players loosing keys i think that the biggest issue in terms of key loss is the key being dropped on the ground due to a full toolbelt which is a horrible system because a player may or may not notice the key has gone missing till hours afterwards. There is a simple fix all you need to do is add some sort of shining effect to the key like a mirror flash that can be eaisly seen through tall grass. problem solved