Dayz Epoch Server

MrBombaaa

Server Hosts  

32 members have voted

1. 1. What is in your opinion the best host?

• GTX Gaming
    • Vilayer
    • Vert Hosting
    • Survival servers
    • gamingdeluxe
    • Another one, let me know in comment

Hello everyone,

There has probably been a post like this on the forum, so sorry for that.
Right now i'm hosting at GTXGaming. Till now, it has been the worst host i have ever been (had a couple of MC server, no dayz server).
We're having random crashes, sceduled restarts crashes the server, things they forget to change so that rcon doesnt work, files randomly deleting, rollbacks after server restarts etc..
So we want to move to a new host, but we don't know which one is the best.
So please, let me know!

I have personally used dayz.st, survival servers, gtx gaming and vilayer and this is my experience of them.

dayz.st was the first ever dayz host I used and they did not appear to be to bad. They gave access to both the server and mission pbo file and was simple to use. After a while though as they only give basic access it was feeling like I wanted more. (Rating 6 out of 10)

I moved on to survival servers and all I can say about them is there a bunch of thiefs. I was with them for one month and it was the worse month ever. The server kicked more people then it let on and dispite proving there was a problem from day 1 the insisted there was nothing wrong. Ended up wasting a months worth of hosting. (Rating 0 out of 10)

I gave origins a try with gtx gaming, I had next to no access (later found out that was down to origins and not gtx gming) to do anything however the server performance from what I can remember was ok. The thing I didn't like was constantly being told things were going to change in next day or so but never happening. (Rating 5 out of 10)

I have been with vilayer now for well over a year. Yes they have there own problems and support tickets can take a while to get answers but u do really like how there serves are set up. I have full access to the server files and can even run a custom dll. They have uploaded many custom dll files for me (for infistar antihack) and generally try to please. When there have been problems the ceo has even helped fix them. You don't need to make pbo files with vilayer as the server does it every restart. This means you can upload your edited files to the vilayercodecustom folder and on a restart they will take effect so you don't have to disturb players with an update etc. (Rating 8 out of 10)

I know people will say vilayer are rubbish etc but this is just my personal experience.

Voted on Vilayer since I rented a MC server from them a couple of years ago and everything was working perfectly.

I don't know what kind of DayZ servers Fragnet provides, but thats the best hosting company I've been involved with.

Edit: I forgot all the posts I've read about Vilayers crappy DayZ services.

Edited by bFe

Vilayer Pros:

Easy to use versatile interface

Full ftp access to ALL files & folders inc .pbo's

Useful support videos

Price, £20pm will get you the above for 40 players

Cons:

Slow support but good when it comes.

My view after 14 months same server/ip with only 2 database wipes so far, that was going from an Epoch to an Overpoch server.

Everything is poop when you experience issues...that's why people here post such different reviews on all the hosts. Well, except Survival servers...consensus seems to be that they're super poop. That being said, dayz.st was ok but limiting...and they seemed to get ddos'd all the time. GTX was ok, but only had a server with them for a few months. Vilayer - they're ok if everything works. When you have issues and need help, their support can be very slow. 

Been with dayz.st and vilayer, now settled with Vert and loving it. 

dayz.st is too limited to what you can do behind the scenes. Had 2 servers with them and was forced to reduce slots back to 40 for both.

vilayer is fine, but customer support is slow, had lots of trouble with BEC.

Vert uses same CP as vilayer, less useless features, full control over the server.Customer support is not comparable to any other, first class and almost instant.

I specifically went with a non-gaming host, because you don't get the "oooh we're a gaming host" tax added on top of the server cost.

For example, GTX resell OVH servers for double the price. Complete pisstake if you ask me.

Anyway, I'm with Online.net; 35 EUR a month for a dedicated Xeon 1220v2, gives me a solid 50 server FPS.

I specifically went with a non-gaming host, because you don't get the "oooh we're a gaming host" tax added on top of the server cost.

For example, GTX resell OVH servers for double the price. Complete pisstake if you ask me.

Anyway, I'm with Online.net; 35 EUR a month for a dedicated Xeon 1220v2, gives me a solid 50 server FPS.

How many servers can you host on that box? Let's say at 40 slots each.

I only became aware of this recently after being with GTX for about 18 months on an unmanaged dedi - i'm now in the process of switching to Arctic Servers (which still seem to be an OVH reseller), they gave me more memory, much faster network and processor for a little less money and they seem to have excellent support ... which is also very true of Gaming Deluxe whom I used to use some time ago and would always go the extra mile whenever I had problems.

The main factor would be the average load on the database of each server. I'd say 4 high object count servers, although personally I wouldn't feel comfortable running more than 2 or 3 on the same box in general. Even assuming a conservative estimate of 3 though, you're looking at €12 per server per month, which is peanuts in the big scheme of things :)

Kinda makes you wonder why ANYONE uses managed hosting tbh... Not to mention that someone like DayZ.st use servers with high core count but low single-core clockspeed; according to their website their current setup relies on Dual E5 2620s, which give you a lovely 12 core box... but with only 2Ghz cores.

Our previous main dedi was an i5 box with GTX, which cost us a rather insane £80 or thereabouts, with a similar clockspeed to the E5 2620, albeit with less L3 cache. Running a single Chernarus instance with a VERY high object count (~15,000), we were lucky to get a server FPS of 5, and that's with us being the ONLY client using the box. And still people buy managed hosting... it just boggles the mind lol.

And still people buy managed hosting... it just boggles the mind lol.

Been a while I checked prices for dedi boxes, back then pricing was insane for the small amount of performance you get... was around 512MB with 1 core for 30 EUR. Been a while tho, lost the interest. But now it's whole different story, even VPS seems like a bad choice looking at prices vs dedicated box.

I've actually found a 2 euro VPS server, that could easily host CMS gaming website and a teamspeak alone... unreal.

Will definitely move to a dedicated box in very near future, already found 3 quite good deals. I'll literary be able to run Dayz server and headless for the same money and still have extra left for either another one or A3E when it comes out.

But again - that's not for everybody, hence managed hosting becomes a good deal, all you need to do is work an extra hour flippin burgers... While these setups might seem straight forward for some of us (or easy to adopt to), there's still quite a learning curve involved, not everyone around has decade of experience with ... well anything IT related.

Can you pm me the deals you found @raymix , Iam currently struggeling with finding something good :S

Just if you want to.

And to come back to the Topic:

I have experienced, that gameservers, same like TS2/3 servers are much more expensive, while having issues, you cant fix on your own.

I always host Servers on a dedicated machine or a VPS, while a VPS is only able to handle (max) 40 people for the most of the time, but because of the serverstats but mainly because of the shared connectivity

If there were VPS having a guaranteed Bandwidth of 200 MBit, not a single DayZ server would need a dedicated machine...

For that case, I can say that VPS for little servers can be found for cheap at:

strato.de

and webtropia but I wouldnt recommend them, since there were some issues with DDoS in the past.

I've been hosting my server there for about 6 weeks now on live, have a ton of scripts and still have a ServerFPS rate of about 40+ at 30 players, the only thing that comes with the players is desync which is about maximum 1000 for all players at the same time for a maximum of 2 minutes (when players login and that kind of stuff) 

Can you pm me the deals you found @raymix , Iam currently struggeling with finding something good :S

Still looking around ofc, but these are closest to reality (same price as a single server), well capable of running 2 servers with own headless client on each.

http://www.online.net/en/dedicated-server/dedibox-xc

http://www.kimsufi.com/en/

http://www.soyoustart.com/ie/game-servers/

I voted for the last option, because since 2 month we have an server at nitrado. Before i had for about nearly a year a server from gtx. But there have always been a lot of problems. Very interessting is, that gtx ignores to pay back credit balances, although we had quit the server there. Very strange behaviour.

Since we changed to nitrado, everything is working fine.

What does verthosting offer?

I mean, does it have a control panel, scheduled restarts, 1 click mod install etc?

it uses same CP as vilayer to install mods, lets you change launch parameters, and install mods/betas. Customer support is what wins this one, really... almost instant reply to tickets with an actual solution. I have 4 tickets, all were escalated within 5-10 mins during these months.

This is what CP looks like: https://db.tt/QDlvl6vd