Is there a bug with Vaults/Safes?

MGT

Question

Occasionally we get complaints of gun loss from safes, is there a known bug in the game that can cause this, or is it the player over filling/leaving it open or some other player error?

Is vault/safe integrity comprimised by it's location such as glitched into a rock/tree etc?

11 answers to this question

As far as I know safes are working just fine, even when build half inside a wall or any other object. Most likely the player is overloading his safe, it does hold only 20 weapons/tools, so you reach the cap very fast.

This is my thinking also, if the player makes an error it's easy for them to cry "bug" than admit player error.

Would like to know what Awol or Axle say as our server is busy and bugs do tend to show up.

Common reasons people lose stuff from their safe, in no order

• People eating around their safe, thinking they've placed it in the safe but instead placed it in the trash pile on the floor from eating.
  • Not realising that inventory tools/toolbelt items (binos,entrenching, knife ect ect) actually take up weapon slots so over filling pushes them out
  • People locking their safe too quickly after putting items in, not letting the database catch up if really busy
  • People altering their safe right before a restart

Cant say we've had any issues since.. well, I dont even remember when the last safe issue we had that wasnt user error.

Tell them to be more careful around a mod of an alpha mod of a buggy game not designed for this sort of abuse and if they don't like that, tell em to hump it.

I myself have experienced inconsistencies on rare occasions, including some that are most unlikely to include user error.

Mostly loosing items, sometimes gaining some I had taken out before, for example when I once took a sniper out of the safe, went camping, got killed, respawned, went to my safe to reequip and - voila - the sniper I had taken was still/again there - no restart in between, from safe to death approx. 15min, from respawn to safe at least 10min.

ToejaM suggested an explanation

• People locking their safe too quickly after putting items in, not letting the database catch up if really busy

that is new to me.

What is the mechanism saving the safe contents to the DB? Is there a way of forcing a synchronization on locking the safe?

In addition to my example above I can tell of 2 situations when my safe (ID locked, so no 3rd party influence possible) lost some weapons. In both cases I had not touched those for quite some time before the loss (only adding gold/ammo to the safe) and I have separate vaults for guns and toolbelt items.

Having been a system administrator for some years I know that the user always says 'I did not do anything', so you have to take this report with a grain of salt. But, again, I'm writing numerical algorithms for 25 years now and tend to know how to judge oddities and my own reliability. So I'd give this second part of my report a credibility rating of 9.7/10 :-)

On the odd chance that there is something to it, after all (I don't see, how it could, I'd write it off to coincidence): there is the myth (I hope it is one ;-) that vault interaction with nearby items will increase chance of glitches. My first incidence was with 2 safes placed side by side 3/4 into a wall, the second occurred with a safe I had in place for 2 weeks before, just 2 days after I accidently placed the outer fringes of a large camo netting through it. But again, I cannot imagine what the mechanism would be allowing such interactions. 

I've had fairly consistent reports from a player losing the entire magazine space. Weapons and backpacks were ok but occasionally it would delete the contents of the magazine area. It was only one safe on the server that did it so I probably a saving to db issue rather than all safes are broken. There are few problems listed below that fairly easy to reproduce and also easily avoided. 

Other issues include placing safe inside buildings:

• Safes don't place correctly on the floor and will "jump" open when opened *most map placed buildings*
  • Safes placing and staying at angle (like you sometimes get in the mission editor) *confirmed placing safes in the alcoves under the dam is a good place to check*
  • Safe placed above ground level inside buildings dropping to ground level making them inaccessible *confirmed I lost two safes but still in db*
  • Safes placed in proximity will mess up the menu and which code goes where and targeting. 
 friend of mine put his m4a1 right before the restart kicked in. Might be only some db delay tho.

That's fairly common, sometimes any actions including player position, looting and items will not save around about a minute or so before reboot, sometime longer depending on latency.