Epoch release?

MudRacing

98% of Epoch players? I agree with SkyDogs that High? My server members and I didn't get included in that survey.

Oh come on guys, I was obviously generalizing.  But seriously, maybe 96.2%.

Also one hidden benefit of an early dev build alpha/beta would be if you have complainers trying it and then deciding they don't like it and abandon then isn't that a win for those of us who have to put up with them?

Shhh, don't scare away the cannon fodder.  Complainers are tasty.

Because it's an open world zombie survival game similar to the open world zombie survival game that borne this open world zombie survival game that we currently like to play.

Even though Arma3 Epoch won't be an open world zombie survival game, its players would have come from an open world zombie survival game, so it's safe to say that they, the players, have an interest in open world zombie survival games. And if a free to play open world zombie survival game is released and is really very good and addictive like the original open world zombie survival game, we may see a situation that open world zombie survival game fans will play the the really good and free to play H1Z1.

Now of course if H1Z1 was a small, scripted sword fighting game that forced its players to go down certain routes like some single player mission of Medal of Honor, then I wouldn't believe that A3 Epoch is in any way, shape or form in competition with H1Z1 or any other open world zombie survival game.

I think we're going to need acronyms if we're going to go any further with the open world zombie survival games.

However, and this is where my argument stands up (IMO)....if the free to play H1Z1 game is released first and is really good, how many of those H1Z1 players will pay £35-£40 for Arma3 to try out Epoch when it's released? Probably quite a few, but nowhere near as many in a reversed scenario. 

And saying they're two completely different types of games, so one won't affect the other, is nonsense. 

Here is the thing. The "zombies" part of DayZ was never the huge draw for many of us. Nor was the PVP portion of DayZ. 

What was the draw? I for one looked at the early part of DayZ and was sucked in by the fact that you needed to actually go out, find things, and survive. The fact that zombies were "in your way" was an excellent thing but other foils for me getting the gear and other things I need to survive can work just as well. The fact that other players might be in the way or ACTIVELY hunt me because I had something they wanted/needed was another interesting aspect.

So really I fell in love with the original concept Dean had for his game, one of trying to survive in a harsh environment with others doing the same. What creates that hard environment doesn't have to be Zombies. If I wanted to play a game to shoot zombies I have tons of them. I OWN several of them but they are uninstalled while DayZ with all it's various mods and DayZ SA both remain installed. 

I am actually really happy Epoch is breaking away from Zombies being the main antagonist. I've played the ARMA III Breaking Point and find it lacking as the zombies themselves are not much of a threat and don't really get in the way of survival all that often. So the only danger then becomes carelessness and other players. DayZ SA on the other hand bumped the zombies up a bit again and I am finding I have to deal with them on a regular basis. DayZ 2017 is a LOT of fun, mostly because I can't wander around with a silenced rifle popping zombies left and right or camp a hill with a one shot sniper and kill other players. 

It looks like Epoch will have the things I like in these survival games. There will be a need to gather up resources, there will be the potential to protect what you have gathered, and there will be reasonable obstacles to doing the gathering and holding onto it. As long as that remains true and the functionality of the game isn't frustrating I doubt I will switch games.

Let me guess, you were born after 1990? 

Kids!  Dunno, I have about 165 other games, most of which I'll probably never even install, so I'm good.  I'm just hoping they give us a bit of notice before they release it so I'm prepared to set up a server.

Let me guess, you were born after 1990?

Wrong......I'm 42 with a wife & 3 children, youngest child is 18 this September & my oldest is 22. But I am a big kid at heart, hence being into video games. But hey, thanks for the compliment though.

Kids! Dunno, I have about 165 other games, most of which I'll probably never even install, so I'm good. I'm just hoping they give us a bit of notice before they release it so I'm prepared to set up a server.

I must be a rarity. When I find a game I like, I play it pretty much exclusively for a few years.

BHD was my first, played it non stop until Joint Ops came out then we all switched to that.(what ever happened to Novalogic?)

Then BF2 came out and I played that for a couple of years before switching to Project Reality in 2008, which is a mod for BF2.

Then I switched onto Epoch about 13 months ago and I pretty much play that exclusively with the odd game of Breaking Point every now and then.

I must be a rarity. When I find a game I like, I play it pretty much exclusively for a few years.

BHD was my first, played it non stop until Joint Ops came out then we all switched to that.(what ever happened to Novalogic?)

Then BF2 came out and I played that for a couple of years before switching to Project Reality in 2008, which is a mod for BF2.

Then I switched onto Epoch about 13 months ago and I pretty much play that exclusively with the odd game of Breaking Point every now and then.

Yeah, I'm the same way, I rarely play anything else which annoys the shit out of most of my friends when they're like HEY WANNA PLAY THIS OTHER GAME and I'm like... nah, Dayz.  I started out playing Battlefield 2, then played CS:S for a while, then DayZ, Origins, Epoch.  I was playing Altis Life for a while but that kinda got boring.  People suck at RPing.

Wrong......I'm 42 with a wife & 3 children, youngest child is 18 this September & my oldest is 22. But I am a big kid at heart, hence being into video games. But hey, thanks for the compliment though.

I only asked because that amount of impatience is something I typically see in the younger generations. I'm 44 but my wife is 31 and even with her I see some of it. My belief is that it comes from some of the instant gratification our society has built up.

As a simple example think about something as simple as a favorite TV Show. 

1970's - Your favorite show was on ONCE a week for about 28 weeks a year at one specific time that week. If you missed it you couldn't see it later unless you watched it in reruns over the summer or it went into syndication and you could watch it then. There was no way to watch it later and if it went away it went away. If it wasn't convenient for you to watch it at that time... too bad, suck it up. In addition in some places you had ONE station so you watched what was on that channel. In others you might get to choose between 2-3 stations.

1980's -  More stations, VCRs, Cable TV. You still don't get to choose what you want, but there is often a bit more selection and the early VCRs could be setup and left on to record one "block" of time so you could record a favorite show or a movie and watch it later. You could buy or rent movies but you had to go to a video store when they were open. 

1990's - VCRs are much better and can record multiple stations with multiple programmed times. DVDs come out and by the end we have TiVo. Cable is much expanded as well as satellite offerings and now not only movies but some TV series are offered for purchase. You can now literally watch your favorite when every you want show once it comes out on tape or DVD. There are channels that run one specific type of programming all day long so that instead of waiting for Saturday Morning Cartoons you can turn on one of the two channels that constantly shows cartoons and watch that.

Today - I was waiting for a prescription to be filled and it looked like it was going to take 20-30 minutes. Well, I just so happened to have 20-30 minutes left to watch of a Sherlock episode I had started on my TV earlier... or I could rewatch Firefly or Doctor Who episodes if I was feeling nostalgic. I pulled out my phone with my headphones and finished up the Sherlock episode. 

So kids born in the 90s really have very little concept of having to wait for a specific thing for a day... much less a week or a few months.  Movie trilogies would be 3 years between releases but today they aim for a year or at worst 2 years between movies. So even something that slow has been sped up. It used to be 6 years between game releases and add-on expansions would be 2-3 years. Now 4 years is a long wait between games and expansions tend to come out every year. 

So when I see someone who "Can't wait..." I tend to make assumptions that they grew up in an era where you don't have to wait for anything instead of simply having forgotten what it was like when they were younger.  For example: walk in 30 minute oil changes, Urgent Care Dr. appointments, order your groceries online and pick them up as you drive by, and instantly stream/download music/movies/games. I love when my kids say something like, "There is nothing to do." as I roll my eyes at them and think back to the days where options really were limited.

The team started working on this less than a year ago. It is built from scratch... no using DayZ to build off of. That is a lot of work for something they don't get paid to do and do in their spare time. If you want a good product then expect to wait for it. In the meantime we have Epoch of all flavors to keep us entertained or other games. 

I learned years ago to avoid this given my nature. This leads to me playing a game obsessively for a while and burning out on it. So right now I play, Epoch, DayZ 2017, DayZ SA, Diablo III, Marvel Heroes, and am playing through Mass Effect again. I rotate through the games.

I've been playing that Ghost Recon Phantoms online game recently, it's decent fun.  Kinda pay-to-win though.  I like games like these though that you can just dive into and not get too involved, point and click, perfect for coming home from work with a mushed brain.  CS:GO is okay too.. dunno, didn't really get into it like I did Source though.

BUT, if I really get bored, I'll just fire up that ol' Sims 3 and whoohoo everyone in the neighborhood while watching TV shows.

PS: wtf everyone's older than me.. this never happens.

So when I see someone who "Can't wait..." I tend to make assumptions that they grew up in an era where you don't have to wait for anything instead of simply having forgotten what it was like when they were younger.   

Totally understand what your talking about when it comes to not having to wait, the same thing also leads to A.D.D. (Attention Deficit Disorder) and is why so many people from both young and older generations are hopping games so fast. Free to play, multiple games being released every month or so, make people forget that good things can take time.

Will say though that you are showing your age a little  (btw I am close to catching your age, so not meant as an offence) if you take "can't wait" solely as impatience. I know my oldest daughter (15) would say she can't wait as well but only be referring to how excited she is, but she has so many other games to fill in the time she is waiting.