Devs, I've found your new game engine.

airtonix

Forget anything made by Bohemia... it's crap from a software developers point of view.

Head over to http://outterra.com and checkout the tech demo, see that they give you access to use Javascript as the modding language and rejoice that the engine uses all cpu cores.

Features (src : http://www.outerra.com/wfeatures.html

• Realistically looking terrain with high detail
  • Unlimited visibility, detail ranging from thousands of kilometers down to centimeters
  • Real time atmospheric rendering
  • Rendering of vast dense forests and grass
  • Seamless transition from space down to the planet surface
  • Adaptive LOD with continuous transitions. Elevation data are preprocessed using special wavelet compression, the required level of detail is extracted effectively on the fly
  • Partitioned compressed dataset can be downloaded progressively over the web
  • Fractal refinement mimicking the natural processes (erosion, rocks, overhangs)
  • Procedural texture generator combining mathematical models and climatic data
  • Bitmap overlays for specific areas
  • Vector data - roads, rivers, land class polygons
  • ogl_sm.jpgUses OpenGL 3.3
  • Dynamic shadows
  • Fully asynchronous multi-threaded design able to utilize all available CPU cores
  • Terrain and fractal algorithms runing completely on the GPU
  • Stable frame rate system
  • Supports arbitrary and varying resolution of elevation datasets, refined to centimeter resolution by fractal algorithms
  • Embedded web browser allowing for direct web service integration
  • Supports COLLADA 3D model file format
  • Integrates a Flight Dynamics Model library for high fidelity simulation of aircraft, rockets
  • Global physics engine for simulation of vehicle physics and collision detection

For players and storytellers, the game engine is capable of rending a 1:1 map of earth with all that awesome orbit to ground transition  through the atmosphere (imagine the sub-orbital halo jumps!)

I for one would love to see Epoch developed for this Engine.

Changing game engine would ruin everything. Most people know who to code for Arma, changing it to this one, who wreck the development for everyone. Move to Arma 3 in my mind is kind of bad, since only a few people can play with there current pc's. But its kind of the same coding, so development seems easy. Plus people would have to re-buy the game.

Changing game engine would ruin everything. Most people know who to code for Arma, changing it to this one, who wreck the development for everyone. Move to Arma 3 in my mind is kind of bad, since only a few people can play with there current pc's. But its kind of the same coding, so development seems easy. Plus people would have to re-buy the game.

All of this was implied with changing engines.

It's also acceptable, and welcomed. PLEASE ruin everything for the chance at a new, clean, optimized engine and netcode.

So, how does the experience gained from Arma2 Epoch development transfer over to this new engine? Or does it at all? Just asking since Arma2/3 do share similarities and I'm assuming that moving to anything new would involve some major rework from the ground up. If 6-8 months was the original work estimate for A3 Epoch, that would probably get pushed out if a switch is done.

That game engine looks absolutely amazing. Also to the poster above Javascript is really easy to code in much easier then arma code. You have to buy arma 3 anyways to play epoch if they want to play Arma 3 Epoch if they make it using that engine regardless. 60$ isn't worth Arma 3 imo.

Arma 3 is almost constantly on sale, I bought it for 30 during alpha, my friend got it for 30 during new year holidays i bet by the time epoch a3 is going to be released you'd catch it on sale at least once. But I'm agree 60 bucks is a rip of for this game, 30 is a good price though. It doesn't look that amazing yet, and I don't see an awful lot of mods for it.

I bought mine launch date when it was only £20 ($32) and i've already put 700 hours into it.

Even at $60 for the time you get out of it, it's a bargain :)

I really can't find nothing in A3 that would make me spend more than like an hour in the game. May be you have some servers you can share? i will be glad to play it on some good server, may be that will get me into it.

Can't say I'm a fan of A3 at all actually loath it but times change and things have to move on... def looking forward to epoch on new grafics etc.. hopefully they WON'T adopt the damn horrible and outright stupid gear system though... thats what irritates me so much nearly as bad as the dayz sa gear.. I'm getting used to it but boy what a grind!

• 4 weeks later...

Eh, I don't even bother developing Arma mods because the language and development tools required are antiquated, frustratingly restrictive and require compiling even in local development mode (which is another rant).

A move to an engine that uses Javascript would actually make it more approachable, the possibilities would be far greater, development cycles would be rapid. Additionally it also seems that the server could be capable of supporting horizontal scaled deployments, which is something practically any game server requires that claims to support large maps and big player populations.

I would be confident in saying that Epoch won't be coming to this engine any time soon (not until a great deal more tooling and system architecture is supplied), but we will see one like Epoch in the next few years.

With regards to transferable knowledge and the value therein, I would say that most of the value is in the conceptual game design philosophy, not the code written.

Remember, BIS are not the heralds of software/game development "best practices", and I believe that writing software in the "deep end", has given the epoch team a good overview and deep loathing of many immutable facets of BIS products.

Despite all that, I eagerly await Epoch for Arma 3.