Don't Shoot Man's Best Friend

wangtangnoodle

Light-hearted request here

Alone in a post-apocalyptic world, needing a companion? You'd be happy to have a dog by your side. Especially a dog who watches the sky so enthusiastically for heli crashes and weather changes. So why would you ever shoot one? Because you have little humanity.

Shoot a dog dead = 500 humanity loss.

Some country's eat dog so is there any way to do it like with zombies where if you kill it you loose -500 humanity but if you gut it you gain +500 humanity and it balance's it self out if you kill it for eating.

same could be done for all animals but have higher loss for "pet" animals eg dogs and rabbits

• 2 weeks later...

I disagree. 

I cant tell you how any dogs I have gunned down for infection control issues in disaster areas.  In no case would I assume an animal is friendly, rabies/any other infection free. 

For all we know knocking off a dog could be the right thing to do.  I see no reason to have judgment placed upon players for killing any animal.  Its like saying we lose humanity for killing cows because the majority of the playerbase might be vegetarian. 

• 3 weeks later...

If you shoot a dog at all you should get a reduction in humanity, I don't care if you are protecting other players, attempting to stop the spread of disease or eating it yourself (exceptions to cultures who eat dogs regularly).  If you don't second guess yourself when killing a dog (in-game or otherwise) your humanity is in question, period.

Edit: Point being, we shouldn't baby ourselves thinking "Oh, well if I'm doing it to survive ... its OK and therefore should not be penalized". It should be one of those last resort questions you ask yourself and if you NEED to kill Fido to remain alive, you should be prepared to subject yourself to the drop in humanity.

If you shoot a dog at all you should get a reduction in humanity, I don't care if you are protecting other players, attempting to stop the spread of disease or eating it yourself (exceptions to cultures who eat dogs regularly).  If you don't second guess yourself when killing a dog (in-game or otherwise) your humanity is in question, period.

Edit: Point being, we shouldn't baby ourselves thinking "Oh, well if I'm doing it to survive ... its OK and therefore should not be penalized". It should be one of those last resort questions you ask yourself and if you NEED to kill Fido to remain alive, you should be prepared to subject yourself to the drop in humanity.

This should be for animals in general then.  Goats, Cows, Chickens since they are all living breathing creatures. 

If you don't question yourself when killing a breathing creature (in-game or otherwise) then your humanity is in question, period.  Right?

This should be for animals in general then.  Goats, Cows, Chickens since they are all living breathing creatures. 

If you don't question yourself when killing a breathing creature (in-game or otherwise) then your humanity is in question, period.  Right?

Right, though we eat cows and chickens very few of us watch it die by our own actions before consuming it. Those who have been subject to that I would expect to have some feelings of regret.

Right, though we eat cows and chickens very few of us watch it die by our own actions before consuming it. Those who have been subject to that I would expect to have some feelings of regret.

I see your point but growing up on a farm where we raise animals for the purpose of slaughter I can assure you there isn't regret, its just part of life.  These animals aren't supposed to grow old and live long prosperous lives. 

I do however think that lowering humanity for a dog that is owned is a good compromise.  Dogs however will most likely be bugged and useless until they make them part of the joingroup player commands and use them just like an AI group member in standard ARMA.