Dayz without choppers??? Oh the humanity!!!!!!!!

chisel

So just curous, would any of you players play on a server without choppers?

I run a Chernarus Epoch server atm, and I've played Dayz for a long time, I wasn't one of the first to play but I started playing pretty early.  Nostalgic about those days already.  Fixable cars were hard to find, Helis were not even released yet and when there were introduced they were very very rare.  I remember making an evening of it running with my crew from Berezino to the NW airfield to loot.  It was a big deal, it took a long time and was a huge risk.  I loved those days.

Now, with choppers all over the place I can go from Grozovoy to Skalisty in minutes.  It makes the world so much smaller and the game so much easier.

So would you players ever consider playing on a server that had no choppers or possibly a very very small amount of them (1 or 2), none of which you could buy or lock, just spawned in the wild?  I'm considering taking choppers off the server.

Thoughts?

I very much agree. What made the original DayZ so great was how small you felt. You spawn in somewhere, middle of the night, can't see shit. Zombies can kill you, other players can kill you. You're scared shitless.

I remember I found my first vehicle after about a week of playing. Me and my mate ran around for hours on end looking for a car wheel to fix it up. Made it in the end, drove it ever so carefully and stashed it in Black Forrest where we had made a tent camp and used it for our loot rounds the next days. It was a god damn bus. But it was the holy grail to us.

Everything was so precious back then. So valueable. So fragile. And so easily taken away from us.

Epoch was a revelation to us. Base building, traders. Man, this was perfect. No need for looting supermarkets for food or NWA for weapons, I'll just buy whatever I want. But this blessing has turned into a curse for me. When everything is so achieveable, where is the incentive to do anything? I don't care if I die, I got 15 briefs in the safe in my base. I don't care if I get downed in a helicopter, I'll just buy five new ones. And hell if I'll go risk my life looting at NWA for a measly SAW and a GPS.

On our server we've taken a few steps towards making things a little more hardcore. The first step is just going against the trend of 100k vehicles, indestructible bases, self-bloodbagging, auto-refuel and all that stuff. I like to think players like it hard, many cherish that experience. We're also removing GPS, NVG, DMR and L115 from the traders and making them military loot only, to add incentives for moving their lazy asses out of the traders. We're also raising the prices of cooked meat to make hunting a feasible way of earning money, yet again to add to the incentives of doing stuff instead of hoarding.

As for the helicopters and armored vehicles we've bumped the prices at both the hero and bandit trader to about double. But removing them? I'm not sure about that, though I get your point. Epoch is a great mod, but it's self-destructive in the way that players have it a little too easy. I think it needs some re-balancing in terms of that. And god I hate the safes. Nothing should be permanent.

// Grumpy grandpa rant ends

I agree with your opinions and i would gladly play on a server like that just for the nostalgia and the way it felt back when the original dayz mod was out. Playing it back then really gave you a choice. i mean you HAD to risk it all to get those nice military loot or any other loot for that sake, or you could just try to survive in the wild as long as you had your tent, knife, waterbottle and enfield ;P, doing some looting from time to time and really getting paranoid entering loot sites, and if lucky find a vehicle. I love Epoch mod, and tbh i don't think we'll ever get that original DayZ feeling again, the dayz standalone is trying that now, but once it comes out and people can mod it or tweak their servers, we are back to 500+ vehicles etc. Ah the old dayz...

One memory i have is one day me and my crew finally found a chopper after playing the game for several weeks, fixed it up(100 jerry cans to fill it completly) started it up, flew 100 meters then the server crashed and our chopper gone.. for f sake.. but still it just made us more exited to start looking for another one.

I'm right in line with Credible.

Traders and base building are good but I just can't get into the idea of 100's of vehicles everywhere, military grade everything all over the place etc.

I do like the ideas of making meat expensive, removing some high-grade items from traders etc.  A lot of servers these days are just ARMA multiplayer games with a few zombies tossed in.

• 6 months later...

I'm right in line with Credible.

Traders and base building are good but I just can't get into the idea of 100's of vehicles everywhere, military grade everything all over the place etc.

I do like the ideas of making meat expensive, removing some high-grade items from traders etc.  A lot of servers these days are just ARMA multiplayer games with a few zombies tossed in.

I totally agree. My server is set closer to vanilla DayZ with military vehicles limited to purchase or mission theft rather than spawning anyway. But it does not enjoy a large player-base, many want Grade-A guns, apaches, tanks and jets...

I totally agree. My server is set closer to vanilla DayZ with military vehicles limited to purchase or mission theft rather than spawning anyway. But it does not enjoy a large player-base, many want Grade-A guns, apaches, tanks and jets...

People come on my server's, play for a few days and then ask for all of these vehicles/weapons/etc,.  I tell em to go play Overwatch / Wasteland, no loss to me. 

I'm not going to ruin the survival aspect of my servers for the majority of my playerbase because a few individuals want completely OP vehicles and play purely to shoot people.

I'm also quite stern about what I will / will not add to the game and the traders, my players respect that fact that I believe some things just shouldn't be in the game or at a trader (locks/chainsaws/etc) because it ruin's the survival aspect of the game.  I've also increased the cost of certain vehicles and items, because by default I feel the vehicles are too cheap and regarded as a throw-away item.  Besides if everything is available at a trader, whats the point in looting?. :)

Don't get me wrong though, I'm totally up for my players to suggest things and they regularly do.  Most of the long-timers realise I see things from the bigger picture - whats cool to have now may ruin the game for them later - and obviously I nor my admins nor the genuine players looking for a survival game want this.

I feel it's a recurring trend these days though, with server's having every single mod out there and every possible vehicle available in the game. 

It's like a race for players "Come join our server we have big shiny things for you!!"

It's the server owners who pump thier warped up version of a survival mod into nothing more than Wasteland with "Those annoying zombie things" which results in it resembling nothing more than Wastland with a loot spawn/despawn system and base building.  I don't know why these server owners even call it DayZ Epoch any more.

Anyway, I got a bit carried away with ranting there, but frankly that's the way i see it.

Why we call it Epoch? Simple - because it is Epoch, Epoch plays after the initial phase of the apocalypse, people are rebuilding ... etc.
If you want to dwell iin your nostalgia find a way to remove your memories and start playing Vanilla DayZ on Public Hives. I remember when I crawled the whole way from kamenka to balotta and back to zelenogorsk scared of everything avoiding any zeds .. those days are long gone, as soon as you realize how zeds and loot spawning works you are ahead of the game. And survival just becomes a fight against people and common arma glitches.

I dont find any thrill in this running simulator anymore where zeds glitch around and where the only threat are glitches that kill you while you are looting.
I rather have to deal with players trying to kill me, thats where it gets interessting.

People dont want to play for 4 hours finding vehicles fixing them up ply a bit and then log off ... just to find their vehicle blown up by some asshole and all their shit gone from their tents. It is frustrating and quite frankly off-putting for most people. Not for me personally, but I get why people leave servers or mods that do not provide any form of protection to their accomplishments. Epoch provides exactly that.
Plus all the script addons that we can get. For example trader-safezones: without them it would be far more interessting but to be honest most people are too stupid to check their surroundings and then get killed. It all leads to frustration and disconnects.

I rather have a full server than a hardcore server with maybe 5 people online spread over the day, having a server is expensive so I rather have people playing. That doesnt mean I cater to everything they want. For instance Tanks cost around 400-600BC on my server a lot of my playerbase are like 'ugh thats sooo much ;_; ' and I am like 'too bad.'

It'd be great if people stop sounding so dismissive when talking about wastelandish-servers, as there is only one way to play dayz.

your only issue is alot will quit. & move to more better servers

like some say make a Dayz mod Hive not epoch your thread is pointless cause for one. your using Epoch...

people now go for heavy scripted servers that have everything be it hard to unlock or not.

what people forget is your idea alrdy exist its called Offical hives & everyone pretty much 99% who play epoch/overwatch would rather play elsewhere.

so way i see it. enless you want a very very small playerbase. that probly will never increase. & hopefully it's not players who pay for server or your fairly doomed.

i'v seen servers do this & die month after cause everyone left.

i do say gl though. cause last server that did this removed Jets/heli/tank/apc died & they had roughly a full 50/50 server x2 & ended up shutting down after everyone but like 4-5 left for better servers.

It's a fine balance between what's popular and an ideal. Some hosts have an integrity to protect because they see Epoch as DayZ, with building and traders. It is possible to have no traders at all and still function well, but I do remember the Huey from DayZ day 1; the most desired vehicle, the rarest vehicle. Removing helicopters is an interesting idea, and lends itself to realism but this is a game.

I have since added jets, tanks and some unique military/civilian helicopters to my setup, although I have hidden some in key areas to provoke conflict and exploration. They are not sell-able nor can they be locked so I don't see them breaking the economy, and as they always spawn where you'll find them anyone can use them and/or keep them.

Generally players don't spend enough time exploring to really discover what's contained, which is a shame as they could find all they seek/need but in a way which feels rewarding rather than as a cheap handout. Surely that is the key aspect of the game and runs through the basic nature of every server.