To the Epoch Developers....I'm an Origins player

Scholar

Hi guys, I have been keeping one eye on Epoch as it unfolds and I have to say that the Epoch  Development team appear to be making a very appealing mod.  

The first thing that I see that appeals to me is the openness and willingness to interact with its community.... daily it seems.  Highly commendable and such a wise perspective.

Secondly, incorporating crafting and trading. This adds a massive addition to gameplay.

Yet even as I commend your mod highly and I mean that sincerly, I have only played it for 4-5 hours.  The reason being is that Origins has that special lockable house pincode feature. I know you have safes but...we like the idea of safes too...but not at the expense of a real lockable house

Let me be blunt...Origins is winning the MOD DUEL....they have twice as many servers or more and have over 600,000 distinct players....WHY??  On paper the Epoch mod looks tremendous and I can tell you personally that almost every Origin player knows about your Epoch mod,,,, they see that it is the second largest mod behind  Origins on dayz commander.  BUT with all your great features why are most Epoch servers empty...and they really are minus a few???

YOU NEED TO INCORPORATE LOCKABLE HOUSES>>>ITS REALLY THAT EASY>>>YES THAT EASY....I KNOW MY WHOLE CLAN  reads about what you guys are doing with interest and talk fondly of EPOCH...BUT THEY WON'T play it?? why???

YOU GUYS NEED HOUSES that are permanent...lockable...safe...like a safe  :)

IF you do this YOU WILL become the largest MOD, the most popular MOD.  You have so many great things going...put in pincoded locks on permanent houses and you WIN...You have so many creative ideas and you have been so involved in your mods community with feedback and support that its hard not to like and support you guys....

If you allow us to build it......we will come....forgive my arrogance... but after all .. I am trying to convince you...I will come over to Epoch the moment this happens... as will many others....

well spoken... lockable houses are cool. But i personaly don't see them that important.... just build a small house and put like 5 safes in it and ur good :) onlything about the origin houses is that they look REALLY cool, but thats all.

The BIGGEST plus point in Epoch are LOCKABLE Vehicles and SERVERFILES!!! Origins dont have them and you are forced to pay for a server.

the only thing i want to see for Epoch is the you cant access the Invetory of locked Vehicles, and i know they are working on it... so letz wait a bit ill guess Epoch will become (i think it is already) alot better than origins.

greetz

Xen

I wouldn’t say lockable houses, as in the build-able types in Origins but I would say just the ability to fortify and secure an existing open houses and making them secure would be fantastic! 

As I've suggested a couple of times in the whole base building debate I have two suggestions that I think would tackle the who issue of base building being “pointless” if it takes some troll a few minutes to spitefully destroy hours of work.

My two ideas to tackle this are;

Either have bases, or in this case a fortified/secured building completely secure WHEN the player who secured them is offline. However  they could be damaged when the player is online.

Or alternatively you could have fortified bases/buildings 100% secured for a period of 2-3 days before they need “maintenance” by the player who secured it. This maintenance could be simply a player taking time to just go around and manually “fix” the fortifications to make them secure again.

This means that there is a chance that players could breach the fortifications if they just put a bit of time and effort into it, rather than simply wandering into a camp/building by chance and then smashing it. 

The thing I myself am looking forward to, most, is not a lockable house but a lockable garage to finally keep a vehicle safe from those vandals who log in when everyone else is asleep and wreak havok.

Yes, Origins does have this, too, but I think I remember having read that the Epoch developers are working on something like this.

The thing I myself am looking forward to, most, is not a lockable house but a lockable garage to finally keep a vehicle safe from those vandals who log in when everyone else is asleep and wreak havok.

Yes, Origins does have this, too, but I think I remember having read that the Epoch developers are working on something like this.

You could make secure your own"garage" by either making a sealed compound or fortifying an existing large building (such as the industrial hangers) with the suggestions I made and I think this would be much more in keeping with the game. I do like the idea of having a secure compound for vehicles.

The problem with using existing buildings, especially large ones, is that space is scarce - there are only so many suitable places to fortify.

And, on a purely personal aesthetical note, I don't much like the map littered with even small bases (and fortification takes space, even if it is fun), it breaks the theme of the landscape (in RL I don't like cities, either ;-)

So I prefer a small hut and a garage put away in the woods.

I do like the idea of the houses etc however this is epoch and not origins so if epoch did get them then they would prob get sued by origins just like the legal threats etc over the taviana map.

Epoch is epoch, origins is origins... its best to keep ot that way as at least then we get the server files ;-)

Epoch and Origins are mods of a mod....they are borrowed capital.  There is no reason not to align the best ideas of all the mods out there and make your mod better.  EVen at Origins people in the forums are requesting some of the better ideas and fixes form Epoch and Vanilla to be included in Origins.

I don't see how it is best to not take the best ideas and place them into your mod.  Epoch servers mostly are empty, Origin servers are mostly busy.  Lockable houses are not I believe against the philosophy of Epoch if they can succumb to attrition therefore requiring upkeep and repair work...

But know this my friend,,,this is a game and realism is impossible to fully incorporate because it is not real.  For GAMEPLAY reasons a permanent structure like a house is far more inviting than just a safe, although alongside a house a movable safe is a great inclusion...it doesn't have to be one or the other.  It should be both.

Let me be Frank...the building aspect of Origins, quarrying the rock, scavaging the reinforcing material etc etc is a great fun part of the housing  system on Origins...

Again ORIGINS IS WINNING THE MOD BATTLE because of PERMANENT HOUSING/Garages..(although being able to dismantle your house/Garage and move it would be a great idea as well)  nevertheless....a permanent safe house is why Origins is busy.  I check Epoch servers on DAYZ commander all the time out of curiosity...THEY ARE 90-95 percent empty ALL THE TIME...E M P T Y...you want them full????....make a house that is safe and secure like Origins...maybe not the three tier complex housing system etc, but 1 safe house

...Bungle has a nice picture up showing what a bandit house(brown) and a  Hero house ( green) could look like....If you want this mod to succeed you have to do this because the majority of us "gamers" who play this game want to know that the gun they just bought or cool skins they just found will be there when we log on again when we get home from work ....without it all the looting of stuff seems  just futile.... houses are more asthetically .pleasing than a safe...(keep the safe though)..

If you want Epoch to gain numbers you need this.  Epoch is a creative great looking mod that will win all types of artsy awards for its innovative ideas and concepts...yet the servers will REMAIN EMPTY...crtically acclaimed and admired from afar BUT...not played....adding such a simple thing could change all that

I just got home and am dead tired so I'll just say this for now...Epoch development shouldn't turn into a competition. It has its own direction and features that make sense will be added in due time. Housing was mentioned a while ago, but with vbawol being the main (only) guy, stuff takes time. Epoch seems to be doing fine and really isn't "losing" anything, with the number of servers growing quite steadily. Quite frankly, I couldn't care less what those guys at lamers platoon do.

I"ll  just say this for now as well....Epoch IS actually not doing fine..., look at the stats.....if you check out the server list other than your favorites, you'll see that there is hardly any players populating the Epoch  servers generally speaking.

Secondly, if you like it or not it... IT"S already is a competition and you saying it's not, doesn't change the fact that it is. There are only so many players playing DAyz ARMA 2 mod/s...Origins has twice the number of servers and more than double the players easily....

Quite frankly, you not caring what "lamer platoon does" ,,,what???  What kind of response is this...nobodies trying to hurt your feelings dude nor challenge your loyaties...I'm just telling you like it is.... if you like it or not...your loyalties and biases aside the numbers speak clear...

I'm not here to hurt anyone's feelings, nor am I here to provoke anyone to anger.  You don't realize how important a lock house is for players....again I repeat..

"If you want Epoch to gain numbers you need lock houses......  Epoch is a creative great looking mod that will win all types of artsy awards for its innovative ideas and concepts...and yet even though there are over 500 servers.. the servers are mostly EMPTY as I speak...critically acclaimed and admired from afar BUT...not played by the majority

1) IT IS a competiton for players in choosing what mod to play day in day out

2)  Epoch is not doing well according to player numbers although there are many servers..they are empty..EMPTY!!!

3) The direction and features that Epoch adds without incorporating a lock house will not be enough to move players from Origins to Epoch,,,please don't give me any nonsense such as "lamers platoon" or that  "we don't wan't them anyways"...or "who cares" or "Origins sucks" or any other fan boy propaganda....what I'm saying is the FIX for EPOCH......SIMPLE....if you like it or not....incorporate Lock houses .... and we will come in droves because EPOCH has almost enough to bring us here already.......vbawol please check out bungles take on the housing for bandits and heros 

I don't think Epoch Team are doing it for the Glory, Capital or to be "The Best"..  hence they can work as slow as they feel and if there is only a handful of people play it, its still a success.

The mod itself has done exceedingly well so far with less than a handful of developers/contributors and will continue to turn heads as the current staff are amazing at what they do (As modest as they are).

To create the features you speak of may be "Easy" but overall finding the correct method and balance for the game that the Epoch Team wish to develop is not. Time will be needed and there is no current finish line defined. 

bb_tbh00.jpg

The tortoise may not be the first to finish, but usually does it in style.

First,  I'm full of crap because I say that a perma house would draw more people to Epoch???  OK, maybe I'm wrong, but please instead of flaming tell me why you think I'm wrong.

First,,,,begin with why Origins has over twice the players and twice the servers...this isn;t hard...cause and effect...what do they have as the main draw that differs from Epoch ...what aspects of the "game" have they successfully  incorporated that the MAJORITY of players seem attracted to...yes Perma houses...

...remember...when you open your house to add inventory or remove imventory you are vulnerable to being shot and your house then raided..so your stuff is potentially always at risk when you access it even though the structure is perma...

I understand what Bungle said to a point, except this is not a scolding as the cartoon suggests.... but what I clearly perceive to be what the majority of players want... based on the numbers. 

I think the Epoch DEVs want  their mod to be successful.and what shame is there in that......who doesn't want that????

A perma house you can build your entire base around..

Maybe perma housing isn't what the Epoch devs want to incoporate, fair enough, but maybe it is... they have already incoporated a perma safe...it is not logical to conclude that a perma house somehow philosophically compromises or contradicts what the Epoch developers have already created  in principle

like all of us...I'm a fan of making dayz the best game experience...I think that means being creative and potentially borrowing concepts and ideas from all available sources...

Thanks for your feedback! Borrowing concepts and ideas from all available sources is not exactly what I would call creativityEpoch is more successful that I ever imagined it would be and everyday more players are finding out about it. I feel the reason there are so many servers is that there is at least as many people that wanted to have their own server to experience epoch in. Some have even decided to customize their servers in ways I do not particularly approve of, but hey that isn't even possible to do in most mods.

Persistent storage has been a feature of epoch for a long time, even before Origins had "player housing". Whether it be in the form of a house or a safe the same goal is obtained. You get killed while your safe is unlocked it can be raided, once again the same goal is obtained.

Thx for you feedback Vbawol....to a certain extent the definition "mod"  implies plenty of borrowed capital initially.... so borrowing furthur concepts and ideas and just making them plain  better is an excellent  form of creativity alongside your originality which you bring  No need in reinventing the wheel each time out.. but putting cool looking mags on that wheel and making the tire lower profile..etc..etc creates a whole new look and image.  Your house could have a roof that is accessible with guard rails protecting the owner from the chest down......

Your house could have a beer fridge that works....your house could...etc..etc..etc...it's your take on the house... having BOTH the safe and the house available is a win win idea IMHO.  I think you understand the appreciation I have for

your work with Epoch...I have stated that in above posts clearly I believe even though I have aggressively pursued this idea.  This thread has never been nor was ever intended to throw Epoch under the bus, but was an intent to catch your attention

I appreciate your demeanor as well as I chime away here...I hope your Sabbatical does not last 2 long. Thank you for your response to this thread and I hope your work becomes even more successful and creative...peace.

okay just so we can get the facts rights

there is 807 EPOCH servers & 1079 ORIGINS servers (date 22/07 04:52 gmt+1)

im not a math genius but that's only 252 more origins servers than epoch not the double as claimed, yes more than half of the epoch servers is empty but so is half of the origins servers.

people cant refuse to listen to arguments such as "lamers platoon" etc. cause it is a valid point.

if the origins server files where up for grabs(just like all other mods) u will see 2000origins servers where 1500 of them will be almost empty all day.(just like the the vanilla)

for the "competition" discussion it really is a competition between the servers not the mods.

im sure that when vbawol gets back from his much deserved he will look in to the base building system. since we have just scratched the surface of what the system can do, not that i think he will make the houses from origins(or in that way at all) but im sure we will see that aspect of the epoch mod grow a lot.

hope i made myself understandable if not im sorry :(

OFFTOPIC:

Some have even decided to customize their servers in ways I do not particularly approve of, but hey that isn't even possible to do in most mods.

safezones ? :P

Some have even decided to customize their servers in ways I do not particularly approve of, but hey that isn't even possible to do in most mods.

Pretty much everything from the custom pack?? Sorry if so, I just wanted to provide some of the features I personally enjoy and didn't/don't want to steer people away from the default experience, unless they want to add the extras.

So far it seems to be pretty popular with the general public being that it is generating almost 1000 views every couple of days.