trader menus breaking

kenx

Question

18 answers to this question

This is an issue even on dedicated servers when the server gets busy the trader menu's break. In rpt log errors are like below. Restarting of the server fixes the issue. To be honest its a bit of a game breaker having to restart the server all the time to get them working again.

0:13:01 "HIVE: Menu Request by ClientID: 5"
 0:13:01 "HIVE: Request sent"
 0:13:01 Error in expression <status = _result select 0;

if (_status == "ObjectStreamStart") then {
_val = _r>
 0:13:01   Error position: <== "ObjectStreamStart") then {
_val = _r>
 0:13:01   Error Generic error in expression
 0:13:01 File z\addons\dayz_server\compile\server_traders.sqf, line 20

I think its the other way round champ..

The dayz.st team should be approaching the Epoch Dev Team for minimal support if they can spare the time as Epoch will bring them a lot more customers if they can host it correctly and stay updated...

Considering the Epoch team are doing this entirely Pro-Bono (For Free) they are doing enough.

I think its the other way round champ..

The dayz.st team should be approaching the Epoch Dev Team for minimal support if they can spare the time as Epoch will bring them a lot more customers if they can host it correctly and stay updated...

Considering the Epoch team are doing this entirely Pro-Bono (For Free) they are doing enough.

I'm not convinced to be honest, as much a I love it and prefer it,  Epoch isn't as popular as other mods such as origins and Breaking point yet. One massive advantage Epoch has is that it can be hosted easily from a popular host (.st), anything the developers can do to work with them will get an edge over rival mods. It's as much the developers' responsibility as it is the host's and lets face it's in everyone's best interest. 

We certainly do want to fix any issues that come from using our files, The error TayTay reported could happen for a number of reasons so it will be harder to diagnose. 

We do not know what the deal is with dayz.st as they don't seem to want to work with us.

Just posted this in another related thread:

We attempted to work with DayZ.st before we even released 1.0. They did not even reply to my email. Axle asked again and got the answer that they would look into supporting it after it was on DayZ commander. After that happened we contacted them again and they said it would need to be based on Reality hive... And now all on their own they add support for epoch and run it poorly...

BTW, I purchased a server from vert hosting for our dev purposes and they seem to know how to make epoch run well.

Also, keep in mind  We get no kickbacks from anyone and will never charge money for anything related to epoch.

We certainly do want to fix any issues that come from using our files, The error TayTay reported could happen for a number of reasons so it will be harder to diagnose. 

We do not know what the deal is with dayz.st as they don't seem to want to work with us.

Just posted this in another related thread:

We attempted to work with DayZ.st before we even released 1.0. They did not even reply to my email. Axle asked again and got the answer that they would look into supporting it after it was on DayZ commander. After that happened we contacted them again and they said it would need to be based on Reality hive... And now all on their own they add support for epoch and run it poorly...

BTW, I purchased a server from vert hosting for our dev purposes and they seem to know how to make epoch run well.

Also, keep in mind  We get no kickbacks from anyone and will never charge money for anything related to epoch.

That's fair enough if they are ignoring your efforts and approaches then there's not a lot you can do. My point was if it were a mod I had created I would be making the same kind of approaches and trying to work with as many hosts as possible, especially the bigger hosts. Now I can appreciate that's what you have tried to do and the onus is on DayZ.ST (who I think have done a good job of trying to support this mod - kudos to them for making the attempt).

Half the battle is exposure. We're only running Epoch as it was available from our hosts and we thought we'd test it out. I'm glad we did, but if we'd have had to actively seek out a new host for it we would have probably never have got round to it; or we would have had to consider otehr good mods such as Origins or Point Break and possibly went to another mod.

Again I think Epoch is the best mod available personally but I, we, only know that becuase it was made available to us quickly and easily and I think that's worth bearing in mind.

There seems to be a lot of inaccurate stuff thrown around in this thread...

I am one of the DayZ.ST support staff, and I want to start by congratulating the Epoch team on making a successful, compelling mod.

As one of the largest DayZ hosts, we have mod authors petitioning us every day to help them with hosting/support/provide test servers, etc.   The vast majority of these pre-release projects fail before delivery, or manage to release a buggy mess. Of the ones that make it to a stable release that is playable, more than half never push another update and are broken by the next DayZ code patch.  Because of this, we most often do not even consider a new map/mod until it is proven stable, a large enough community seems to want it, and the dev team stays active.   Once a mod reaches that stage, we assess how much work it will take to get the mod compatible with our custom backend. A new map (not a rework of cherno, etc), with a Reality build, that uses standard cfg and ini options  is pretty straightforward for us to implement, so we tend to attempt those sooner. 

Epoch being a rework of an existing map, using it's own db schema (radically different than ours),  and handling many things differently than all the rest of our code was set up for...  well it took a lot of people asking loudly for a while to convince us it was worth the amount of work necessary to make it happen on our nodes.  Any changes we make are strictly to resolve a problem that came about in our testing during the process of adapting the release to work in our structure. As Epoch was never designed with instanced hosting in mind, there are tiny things here and there that error out for us, that work fine on a dedicated server.

Most of the time there is a workaround or minor code fix that sorts things pretty well, so if anyone comes across a bit of script that works on all the standalone installs and fails in ours, we would love to see the code snippets causing the issue and any fix suggestions so server owners can spend less time debugging and more time playing. Report these to our support email- [email protected] or our IRC channel.

The board used to be called 1.0.1.1 but was updated with the latest update etc.

Im sure the main question most people would like you to answer is why the server/database appear to loose sync with each other so oftern? I was a dayz.st customer and after moving to epoch i looked for a different host due to the desyncs and also the time it takes you to release the next patch.

This ^^

To be fair its not about the Dayz.St company, the support staff or the incompatibility of the release that was not built to fit into "Your".. model.. is quite irrelevant.

It was a happy dayz.st customer for over 6 months with 3 servers running. However in this "instance" you may have to look outside the box a bit and notice that this mod is making a massive splash and if you want to get on board you may have to work with what the mod is releasing and not expect them to re-design it again under a model that just fits in nice and easy for you

These guys are making no income via under the table scraps by making their mod exclusive to only a hand full of hosts and also work damn hard to get this to where it is currently with such a short staff.

If the hosts wish to distribute this in mass numbers and make a profit doing so they should have to work towards it a bit and not just have it handed to them in a reality build.. 

All In all I had a great experience with dayz.st and its where I learnt how to mod my servers. But Cmonnn guys..

Hosting Epoch is not rocket science and if you find a need to re-write it around the old Bliss Model then just do so. Else make a new admin panel, Loose the "Hacker" Map and be done with it.

This ^^

To be fair its not about the Dayz.St company, the support staff or the incompatibility of the release that was not built to fit into "Your".. model.. is quite irrelevant.

It was a happy dayz.st customer for over 6 months with 3 servers running. However in this "instance" you may have to look outside the box a bit and notice that this mod is making a massive splash and if you want to get on board you may have to work with what the mod is releasing and not expect them to re-design it again under a model that just fits in nice and easy for you

These guys are making no income via under the table scraps by making their mod exclusive to only a hand full of hosts and also work damn hard to get this to where it is currently with such a short staff.

If the hosts wish to distribute this in mass numbers and make a profit doing so they should have to work towards it a bit and not just have it handed to them in a reality build.. 

All In all I had a great experience with dayz.st and its where I learnt how to mod my servers. But Cmonnn guys..

Hosting Epoch is not rocket science and if you find a need to re-write it around the old Bliss Model then just do so. Else make a new admin panel, Loose the "Hacker" Map and be done with it.

I have to agree with you fully there bungle.... 

clicking that advanced button took some guts but once i clicked it i didnt turn back :)

Just to get back on topic while we do have a .st admin here; clearly there IS a problem with the trader system on .ST servers whereby the menus are bugging out after a period of time.

We're presently running 3 hour restarts just to get traders working for a period of time for our users. I get feedback on this daily about how it's not working and I dare say it wont be long before people start either leaving our server or suggesting a new host.

As We're committed to Epoch now I dare say I would have to consider switching. I don't want to switch because thus far Ive been really pleased with .st (after 6 months of disappointing Vilayer support ) and as other users on this thread, .st is where I have learned so much about administrating a server .