Been away from Arma3/Epoch for a while, is it still fun?

phm

I attempted to get a vanilla server instance going, and discovered through trial and error that "beserver.so" had to be copied from arma3/battleye to arma3/sc/BattlEye.  Ok, so the server's up.  Pure vanilla, no other mods and vanilla server settings.

But I couldn't connect from a client.  On the client side, I got "Script: epoch_code\system\dummy.sqf not found" (that might not be precisely verbatim).  But I can't be sure that was fatal to my connection attempt (I clicked the OK box to make it disapper).

But my connect attempt failed.  I eventually got the "kicked" client message and see lots of this on the server at the same time:

NetServer::SendMsg: cannot find channel #[REDACTED], users.card=0

After reading more, it seems that the "difficulty makeover" has now disabled 3rd person view?  It looks like the Babycore Police are running the show now.  Can anyone fly a chopper without 3rd person view?

29 minutes ago, phm said:

After reading more, it seems that the "difficulty makeover" has now disabled 3rd person view?  It looks like the Babycore Police are running the show now.  Can anyone fly a chopper without 3rd person view?

I know this isn't helpful - but I can't fly a helicopter in third person view...

On the dummy.sqf issue - search the forum, there's a thread for that. Sorry, sent from my phone in a work meeting - can't give you the URL right now

The difficulty menu problem has a thread, but the latest build of the Epoch mod server fixes it for you I believe

46 minutes ago, Grahame said:

I know this isn't helpful - but I can't fly a helicopter in third person view...

On the dummy.sqf issue - search the forum, there's a thread for that. Sorry, sent from my phone in a work meeting - can't give you the URL right now

The difficulty menu problem has a thread, but the latest build of the Epoch mod server fixes it for you I believe

Thanks for this.  Now I recall I typically would run the server as "recruit" difficulty so that I can see my position on the map.  Hopefully the Babycore Police haven't taken that away.

I also see that Build 436 came out after I snagged 0.3.8.  I made a brand new, totally clean instance with steamcmd, Epoch Client 0.3.8 (doesn't look like Build 436 applies to the client) and Epoch Server Build 436.  I'll fire up the client when I get home and see if "[Fixed] remoteExec Battleye kick fixed." fixes my issue.

The only reference I could find to the "dummy.sqf" issue has to do with someone unpacking/modifying/repacking PBO files.  That's not my problem.  I got the issue with a straight, totally vanilla and unmodified instance.

29 minutes ago, phm said:

Thanks for this.  Now I recall I typically would run the server as "recruit" difficulty so that I can see my position on the map.  Hopefully the Babycore Police haven't taken that away.

I also see that Build 436 came out after I snagged 0.3.8.  I made a brand new, totally clean instance with steamcmd, Epoch Client 0.3.8 (doesn't look like Build 436 applies to the client) and Epoch Server Build 436.  I'll fire up the client when I get home and see if "[Fixed] remoteExec Battleye kick fixed." fixes my issue.

The only reference I could find to the "dummy.sqf" issue has to do with someone unpacking/modifying/repacking PBO files.  That's not my problem.  I got the issue with a straight, totally vanilla and unmodified instance.

Third/First Person views have nothing to do with Epoch. The difficulty settings for Arma 3 changed, so servers using the old format revert to the new defaults. To restore third person view, simply create a custom difficulty. Search the forums. There's a thread that explains all of it.

25 minutes ago, BetterDeadThanZed said:

Third/First Person views have nothing to do with Epoch. The difficulty settings for Arma 3 changed, so servers using the old format revert to the new defaults. To restore third person view, simply create a custom difficulty. Search the forums. There's a thread that explains all of it.

I did search the forums.  But it seems you are suggesting that third person view cannot be restored unless additional code ("profile" configuration?) is added.  I think you just answered the "fun" question.

1 hour ago, phm said:

I did search the forums.  But it seems you are suggesting that third person view cannot be restored unless additional code ("profile" configuration?) is added.  I think you just answered the "fun" question.

You just have to make sure your difficulty settings are configured for the new Arma 1.58 way. You create a custom difficulty setting and set third person on. With the new Arma 3 difficulty configuration, "Veteran" defaults to 1st person view.\

*Edit* I'll explain even though this is posted elsewhere.

In your server's config file, find the section of code that looks similar to this (This is from my server):

class Missions
{
	class Epoch {
		template = epoch.Esseker; // DO NOT CHANGE THIS, IT WILL BREAK YOUR SERVER
		difficulty = "custom";    // difficulty settings: veteran == NORMAL, mercenary == HARDCORE
	};
};

Note that "difficulty" is set to "custom". Normally this would say something like "Recruit", "Veteran" etc. Now, in your "SC" folder, you should see a "Users" folder. "SC" might be something different for you. It's where your server cfg and basic.cfg files are. Usually the BE files are in a folder off of this one and your server logs are usually in this folder too. In the "Users" folder, you should have a file called sc.ARMA3PROFILE. The "sc" part might be different, but it will have ".ARMA3PROFILE" on the file name. Open it up and use this as a template. Replace everything in that file:

difficulty="Custom";
class DifficultyPresets
{
	class CustomDifficulty
	{
		class Options
		{
			groupIndicators=2;
			friendlyTags=0;
			enemyTags=0;
			detectedMines=0;
			commands=1;
			waypoints=2;
			weaponInfo=1;
			stanceIndicator=1;
			reducedDamage=0;
			staminaBar=0;
			weaponCrosshair=1;
			visionAid=0;
			thirdPersonView=1;
			cameraShake=1;
			scoreTable=1;
			deathMessages=1;
			vonID=1;
			mapContent=0;
			autoReport=0;
			multipleSaves=0;
		};
		aiLevelPreset=2;
	};
	class CustomAILevel
	{
		skillAI=1;
		precisionAI=0;
	};
};
singleVoice=0;
maxSamplesPlayed=96;
sceneComplexity=1000000;
shadowZDistance=100;
viewDistance=3800;
preferredObjectViewDistance=3200;
terrainGrid=3.125;
volumeCD=10;
volumeFX=10;
volumeSpeech=10;
volumeVoN=10;
vonRecThreshold=0.029999999;

Since BI documented the settings u can prefer this one here for your "sc.ArmA3Profile"

difficulty="Custom";
class DifficultyPresets
{
	class CustomDifficulty
	{
		class Options
		{
			// Simulation
			reducedDamage = false;    // Reduced damage

// Situational awareness
			groupIndicators = 2;      // Group indicators   (0 = never, 1 = limited distance, 2 = always)
			friendlyTags = 0;         // Friendly name tags (0 = never, 1 = limited distance, 2 = always)
			enemyTags = 0;            // Enemy name tags    (0 = never, 1 = limited distance, 2 = always)
			detectedMines = 0;        // Detected mines     (0 = never, 1 = limited distance, 2 = always)
			commands = 1;             // Commands           (0 = never, 1 = fade out, 2 = always)
			waypoints = 2;            // Waypoints          (0 = never, 1 = fade out, 2 = always)

// Personal awareness
			weaponInfo = 1;           // Weapon info        (0 = never, 1 = fade out, 2 = always)
			stanceIndicator = 1;      // Stance indicator   (0 = never, 1 = fade out, 2 = always)
			staminaBar = false;       // Stamina bar
			weaponCrosshair = true;  // Weapon crosshair
			visionAid = false;        // Vision aid

// View
			thirdPersonView = true;  // 3rd person view
			cameraShake = true;      // Camera shake

// Multiplayer
			scoreTable = true;       // Score table
			deathMessages = true;    // Killed by
			vonID = true;            // VON ID

// Misc
			mapContent = false;       // Extended map content