2 Servers 1 Database

Willids

Question

13 answers to this question

I think It should work just fine, as long as you keep the instance variable of the servers different. Epoch already has many preconfigured instances for different maps. If you want them to use the same map, you'll have to manually change this variable for the second server.

You'll find this variable in the mission init.sqf file:

dayZ_instance =	11;	

Personally I'd prefer to have each server have its own database, as I use a backup script. In case a hacker shows up on one of the servers and messes things up, a rollback would only restore the server the hacker was on.

You can only share the characters, not the vehicles because they are only loaded on server start and not synced.. Like the official dayz hive is doing it

That's not entirely correct, After the server starts up (loading all vehicle objects from the object table in database) they are still updated during game play (position, inventory, damage etc)

You could theoretical share vehicles but it would be a nightmare and cause more problems then anything, so in short 'no don't share vehicle tables'.

That's not entirely correct, After the server starts up (loading all vehicle objects from the object table in database) they are still updated during game play (position, inventory, damage etc)

You could theoretical share vehicles but it would be a nightmare and cause more problems then anything, so in short 'no don't share vehicle tables'.

Well yeah that's what I said, of course the updates are saved but only loaded once.

Theoretically it could be synced but it's not like you have many performance reserves left in DayZ.. and it would be a pain to add that haha :D

Also it would look weird what if on one server a car is driving around and the other server it just moves without a driver? Or base building parts appearing out of nowehere because someone is bulding on the other server.. idk :D

It would work insofar as you could easily share character data.  Object positioning data would only be updated to each server on restart.  So let's say you find a vehicle on server 1 and drive it to your camp.  You then log out and go into server 2.  The vehicle you found and drove to your camp on server 1 would NOT be there.  It would still be at its original position.  You could also have cases where you log out, someone else drives a vehicle into your camp, you log back in after restart and find yourself stuck underneath said vehicle and are consequently crushed and killed.  The database is a slave to the game.  The game tells the database where the vehicles are and what shape they are in.  Not the other way around.  So you couldn't have vehicles magically driving around the map without a driver.  They would just be magically disappearing and reappearing with every server restart.  I'm sure a programmer could explain it better.  All that being what it is, there's not much point in having two servers share a db.  

You COULD specify a different instance for either server and have them run on the same physical database.  THAT would work fine.  But to follow the previous example, whatever you do in server 1 (obtain gear, place a tent, drive a vehicle) would not be transferred to server 2 at all.  Also, it could make server administration more challenging, since whenever you needed to make edits in the database you would have to pay very close attention to which instance you are editing for the item in question.  I'd say overall it's more headache than it would be worth.  

Also if you share the character data it would be very easy to "glitch" into player bases because you can just hop to the other server and go in there (where usually would ne nothing because the base is only on one server/instance), so more problems, only to share a single character.. I woiuld not do it, some people like to have different chars for different servers..

Anyway about a year or so ago I did develop my own multi character thingy. you can simply log on to a website and create or switch characters. E.g. play with one char and then go to the game lobby, open the website and click on create new char, it will then save the old one and when you log back into the game you can start fresh, but still switch back to the other char if you want later.. I 'm not using it atm but I might update it and release it maybe it was quite fun to have multiple characters for every player and it works (without the need to buy multiple arma keys).. no idea why nobody released something like that yet? :D

I would like to share all character info except world position on to different maps, napf and panthera.

I want people to be able to carry gear from one map to the next in their inventory, and also for humanity, blood, etc to not be affected.

I do however want the world positions to save for each map, so the player logs in to the same spot they logged out at.

Any ideas? or way to much trouble?