How to take away "gear" option for locked cars

The Gear option could be smaller like a glove compartment/car interior.. and another db column and damageaction/selfaction added for locked gear, requiring a key or chance breaking a crowbar?

Would require some coding but would make for an interesting addition to make purchasing a car that little bit more "Worth the Effort"

You would need to get the id of the original addaction to remove it..

They can be added to the vehicle as a setvariable then returned with getvariable, have done the same on the AI bus route..

Would take some digging to find the gear addaction, would suspect it is in the arma code. .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If there is a way to see if the gear of a vehicle is accessed, how hard would it be to just close the gear menu?
It's not as pretty as game logic or a swap, but it could serve as a workaround.

Player accesses gear on locked vehicle, gear menu closes due to the vehicle being locked.

I would like to see a sort of "Break Window" function when it comes to locked vehicles. Maybe break a window to get access to the gear if you have a crowbar? Maybe be able to jimmy the lock with a crowbar, takes 5 attempts and after the 5th failiure, the crowbar breaks?

Excuse me for chiming here guys, I don't really understand the coding and all the stuff....

But the GAZ LIMO, can only access it's gear from the inside.....

Maybe the way it works might help get you on the path..

just something that occured to me while reading the posts

• 5 weeks later...

i have been thinking about this and i dont know if its possiable or not but could you not...

make another column in the object_data table called something like Inventory_Locked

when you lock the car it moves all data from the Inventory column to the Inventory_Locked column and as such makes the vehicle look like it has no gear

when you unlock the car, all the data gets moved back to the inventory column and you can once again access the gear.

This should work, i know it works in origins, the houses there have this kind of feature, when you lock the door and you are inside and access the gear, it is a different gear menu, but when you open the door, the gear is back.

Excuse me for chiming here guys, I don't really understand the coding and all the stuff....

But the GAZ LIMO, can only access it's gear from the inside.....

Maybe the way it works might help get you on the path..

just something that occured to me while reading the posts

There is a very specific access point for the gear menu. You basically need to be standing next to a front door (closer to the front), facing the same direction as the car, while looking down at the ground (angled slightly towards the side-mirror). It's a bit tough to describe in words but I guess my point is that it can be done.

How about having a check for locked vehicles when a vehicles inventory is updated to the database? Then you could remove magazine/weapon cargo globally when locked and it won't update the empty inventory. Then when unlocked add it back in. It would also have to check for locked in the server_moniter when spawing in locked.

How about having a check for locked vehicles when a vehicles inventory is updated to the database? Then you could remove magazine/weapon cargo globally when locked and it won't update the empty inventory. Then when unlocked add it back in. It would also have to check for locked in the server_moniter when spawing in locked.

Would be lovely, however, a ural that is filled, or better yet, if someone bought a SeaFox (2000 items, 400 weapons, 80 backpacks I think?) and filled it up to the brim, this would cause major lag and desync among all clients since it has to update all of that data to each and every client.

Just an idea, and by no means a proper solution but might be something easy to do that would not cause any kind of lag.

Detect when the player is accessing the gear of a locked vehicle, and have it immediately close the gear menu, and disable all controls while that gear menu is open for the milisecond it will pop up, thus disabling their ability to successfully loot it.

This kind of functionality is already written in some code using finddisplay, and disabling player controls can be done with disableUserInput.So the only bit would be detecting something like when the player is near a locked object and/or their cursor target of the object they are looking at is locked, then executing this code. Adding a message saying cannot access gear of locked vehicle will be easy to do at the end of the code so new players are not confused. Only problem I can forsee is that if a player is dysnced, will this still detect them opening the gear? If not they might have free access to take what they want, or worse, if they have a slight lapse and resync then dysnc again while that menu is open, they might get stuck with controls disabled until they resync again.

So in the end its not a real fix, but a work around to prevent most of a players ability to loot a locked vehicle. Truth be told, what will happen next is that vehicle being blown up by the player who cant access the gear. Besides, we got safes, so I dont see this as a real issue, except when transporting goods to be sold. What would be far more useful is an ability to lock the car from the inside as a driver, without needing keys, and having that built into epoch itself rather than having to add it via custom script (which is totally possible, check opendayz.net, takistan life revolution code, etc).