redis-server.exe only uses 2920MB RAM

larsmos2011

Question

14 answers to this question

I really cant see why it needs this much memory. The data is so simple, the entire db is probs less than 100mb, if that. I'm thinking there should be no need for our little servers (even 100+ players is nothing to what redis is designed for) to consume anywhere over 500mb. imo.

Confused as to why the default was 4gb, surely that is a standard setting for enterprise solutions, not back yard server hosting?

If I was a guessing man, I would say you should be able to get away with 1gb max mem, but i take no responsiblity for lost data!

Maybe do a test one day, see how low you can get that maxmemory down to and see what difference it makes. dont forget, redis uses the pagefile too! so all that 4gb is being read/written to/from a file on DISK which imo will slow it down, but apparently redis is fastest for key/value storage but i dunno it just doesn't make any sense to me.

lol so quick google took me to some useful info about redis -

http://dba.stackexchange.com/questions/72661/redis-takes-up-all-the-memory-and-crashes

some more light reading;

http://redis.io/topics/memory-optimization

If it only needs 10-100mb why have it set at 4gb? surely we would never exhaust that threshold on our server? even with 1000 unique players? Ah wel,l the linsk above explain what you can do to optimize the memory usage. Since you're here @vbawol haev you considered using "hashes"? as explained in "Optimizing" link above?

I guess its not needed for the mod to run, it just seems silly to need 2-3 gb of ram to run a database less than 100mb in size. Pretty sure hashes solve that issues (afaik/understand from that article).

Thanks awol!

Thanks for the useful posts!

Btw. how long are your login times after a restart with about 20-30 players joining instantly? on our server it sometimes takes up to 8minutes to login after the restart, after the restart the login is just like it should be. ok we have no SSD but for Arma2 Epoch and A3 Altis Life it worked fine with our 10k rpm hdd.  we have about 6000keys in redis and the database is arround 2MB. maybe this has sth to do with it :)

If it only needs 10-100mb why have it set at 4gb? surely we would never exhaust that threshold on our server? even with 1000 unique players? Ah wel,l the linsk above explain what you can do to optimize the memory usage. Since you're here @vbawol haev you considered using "hashes"? as explained in "Optimizing" link above?

I guess its not needed for the mod to run, it just seems silly to need 2-3 gb of ram to run a database less than 100mb in size. Pretty sure hashes solve that issues (afaik/understand from that article).

Thanks awol!

You can easily set this to 1GB and or even 512MB. The idea is to make sure it is higher than what is needed to store your data. Just keep an eye on your actual memory usage in relation to object/player counts and expiration times to know what you can get away with.

Okay something must be wrong. We just needed 25mins after a restart to log in. Everytime there is "Starting epoch, please wait..." and then "server not ready yet 0.2" . We have a HDD with 10.000RPM but it never took that long. it used to take about 3-5mins.

then test...remember to modify!

start "Epoch_Altis" /min /high "Epoch_Altis.exe" -port=2902 -mod=@Epoch;@EpochHive;  "-config=D:\Servers\Arma 3 Server\Epoch_Altis\config.cfg" "-profiles=D:\Servers\Arma 3 Server\Epoch_Altis" "-cfg=D:\Servers\Arma 3 Server\Epoch_Altis\basic.cfg" "-name=Epoch_Altis" -enableHT -autoInit -malloc=system "-bepath=D:\Servers\Arma 3 Server\Epoch_Altis\BattlEye"

then test...remember to modify!

start "Epoch_Altis" /min /high "Epoch_Altis.exe" -port=2902 -mod=@Epoch;@EpochHive;  "-config=D:\Servers\Arma 3 Server\Epoch_Altis\config.cfg" "-profiles=D:\Servers\Arma 3 Server\Epoch_Altis" "-cfg=D:\Servers\Arma 3 Server\Epoch_Altis\basic.cfg" "-name=Epoch_Altis" -enableHT -autoInit -malloc=system "-bepath=D:\Servers\Arma 3 Server\Epoch_Altis\BattlEye"

Thanks for the help but I also have these parameters inside firedaemon. anyone else has got any hints or sth?

edit: maybe the -autoInit and -loadmissiontomemory parameters are causing this issue. maybe this causes to run all epoch stuff and missions etc. before the players could be initialised. so the server first needs to mess arround with these things than with players. gonna test this at the next restart

Edited by larsmos2011