Building Glitches

happydayz

As server admins the #1 complaint is base glitching. Agreed? Now having spent the last couple of gaming hrs on Mells house 0.3 TEST SERVER - testing all the current glitch methods into and out of bases. Conclusion... it seems to be even easier to do it now than it ever has been in previous versions. Now you can rail about the legitimacy of testing glitching but if its not addressed then what is the point of testing?

Two of us have spent days testing the RC even before the 1.40 update was pushed out making it harder for people to join the server, and still the average number of people on the server has consistently not really gone above about 20 players. Yes, 20 people willing to test the 0.3 RC.

Ok so we have about 20 players on average who are willing to invest time into finding the bugs. We all run around the first day, get killed by the new sappers, try out missions and new loot items etc. Whats next? Oh right the reason we all play Arma 2 & 3 Epoch? To BUILD THINGS!!!!!!!! Problem is the world limit was reached within 2 days. It gets upped a few days later. Fantastic lets get building!

Halfway through base building the slow way so as to test everything is working well (yep good ol' maul and hatchet) World limit is reached again. Sigh :'( Cool our base closes up enough to be relatively secure so that's fine for the time being. 

Fantastic. So all 20 or so regular players build our own little kingdoms. What do we do next? In the words expressed so eloquently in Age of Empires 2... "Raiding Party"!

Oh whats that? Not one person that I have spoken to has found a single satchel or explosive charge? And unloading thousands of rounds into jammers also appears to do nothing? hmmmmm thats a dilemma...

Oh what do the players on my server try to do over and over again..(and usually fail miserably due to both a custom antihack and another 'unnamed' antihack?) GLITCH!!!

To my dismay, either I am just a natural and getting really good at it (and I spend nearly all my 'gaming time' working on server additions so I'm not that crash hot at playing), or its gotten even easier than it has ever been.

To those reading this, I dont know about you, but I find that really disappointing.

AWOL, Axle, Sequisha, Kiory, [VB]GREEN, Skaronator, Axeman, Fank... I know you guys are working your butts off for this Mod, spending all your free time developing this game we love, and I appreciate it immensely.

Sure maybe not everyone loves every idea and it seems some people just want a new Arma 2 Epoch just with better graphics. I read the forums day in day out listening to people whinging about when is 0.3 going to be out, why are you doing this and not that. And im sorry to have to do this, but Im going to add my voice to the crowd asking for one thing.

I know its hard to fix properly, and I know that people will always find a way to cheat because yes I said it, thats what glitching is, its that ugly word... CHEATING. Please from the bottom of my heart PLEASE fix/focus on building.

You have every right to ignore this post, and I know that its already on your incredibly long list of things to work on, but please can it be bumped up the priority listing?

Do it for the server owners who spend hrs dealing with glitchers every week.

Do it for the admins who have to put up with the countless arguments back and forth about who glitched this and who glitched that when so and so was offline...

But most of all I implore you... do it for your fans!

Epoch's root is in building. I cant wait to see all the new items you are making that we will be able to make. The new things we will be able to craft. But that is all useless if it disapears in the middle of the night due to 1 guy wearing a white shirt, running around in his jocks throwing himself against a wall.
Because that's what my head feels like its doing day after day after day sorting out all the glitching issues.

PS: I confess... I glitched into a base...

:o

-----I'm going to get flamed for this post but hey its the web and everyones anonymous and trolls are gunna troll just like a glitchers gotta glitch----

To get this truly fixed we are going to have to coordinate amongst ourselves, the Epoch devs and BIS.  Some things the Epoch devs can fix, but they are limited by what's allowed by the engine, which is where BIS comes in.  If there are holes or limitations in the engine then we need to sound the alarm with BIS and create tracker tickets so they can fix the problems in Arma.  I agree that this is a problem, but to fix it is going to have to be a team effort and it won't happen overnight.  

@1man - I don't know any of the current dupe methods but if you do you could test them out?

@Darth. I agree it's not an easy fix. But there are things that can be done to disallow the actions that people use to glitch in the meantime that could be added into the AH. One of our guys wrote up a fix in a few afternoons that used a speed measure when near epoch buildables that prevented certain actions. Only to find that it was blocked by the AH for anyone bar admins.

@1man - I don't know any of the current dupe methods but if you do you could test them out?

@Darth. I agree it's not an easy fix. But there are things that can be done to disallow the actions that people use to glitch in the meantime that could be added into the AH. One of our guys wrote up a fix in a few afternoons that used a speed measure when near epoch buildables that prevented certain actions. Only to find that it was blocked by the AH for anyone bar admins.

Only problem is sometimes you need the ability to vault in your own base or to use those actions as you get trapped in a wall or a floor. I could see it being bad and good though!

@crazycorky - tie it to whether its your or your groups plotpole

One problem I see with this is that if an enemy is in your base and you do something like glitch in to flank them when they are watching the door, that wouldn't be fair. 

you could put a speed restriction/keydown restriction in place so that they cant do the multiple actions that are required for the glitches whilst within 3m or so of the buildables but yes its hard to make it 100% secure. yes it would mean you cant do things like speed crawl in your own base if under attack... but isnt that better than having people glitch in constantly...

Thanks for the post. Exploits such as base glitching do need to be tested and tried to be refined, but like you said, Epoch devs can only go so far. 

As for being banned by admins, if you are testing exploits in any way, a person should do it in their own base. Don't be testing exploits on other bases and then proceed to steal loot. This doesn't help the developement. Test in a legit way, not a naughty way ;)

Well, it is a problem not of Epoch but Arma 3. It is as if the models are just some kind of sprites (don't know graphic lingo sorry) but not actually full models. Glitching is the same as looking through walls currently in Arma 3. If you can look through walls, you will always be able to glitch in to it. Yeah it is the problem of the engine, not mod itself and I am really skeptical that epoch devs can do anything about it.

Better for server admins just to ban glitchers... but even in this case, many admins are jsut too forgiving and give warnings instead which only delays the time an abuser will be expelled from community. There are few ways to make glitching in less possible for a base, like double gates for your base/garage (otherwise if it is just one door, someone can drive up with a car to the gate and glitch in. Couldn't reproduce, but I know the general idea). Also building fake walls inside, or double triple walls. Of course it means either bigger bases or smaller interiors. But I would rather have 2x2 room for my shelfs and lockboxes than 6x6 big ass garage with helipad where anyone can glitch in.

The current problem with glitching through walls was in Arma2 and persists to Arma3.  It's part of the core mechanics of the game.

When you enter a vehicle you don't open the door rather you pass right through it.

I saw a video a while back that talked about how to minimize it and/or prevent it. It involves Tank traps and Wire fencing.

You place those around the perimeter of your base and this will prevent anyone from being able to get to the wall to glitch through it.

I have suggested this already.

In my opinion it would be the quickest thing to put in right now until they can fully fix it which may not ever happen as it was never fixed in Arma2.

This  is probably not a full-proof method but at least it's a start.

If they could detect what a player is attempting to pass-through (ie: cinder/wood wall/door etc..) then maybe they could deal with it but I suspect there is nothing in the code that indicates what object the player is passing through.