Any plans for Bicycles?

kikinshits

Isn't there already a way to add temp bikes in that other thread? Really don't think the Epoch team would add this to the core mod..

Couldn't find what you're describing after doing a few forum searches. An addon script would be fine if somebody has got one working, doesn't have to be part of core. 

Just too bad I assume it'll require clients to download in addition to the mod as well, I know our player base will do it though.

Couldn't find what you're describing after doing a few forum searches. An addon script would be fine if somebody has got one working, doesn't have to be part of core. 

Just too bad I assume it'll require clients to download in addition to the mod as well, I know our player base will do it though.

Some chatter about it. Have no idea what works and what doesn't in that thread, or the scope of file changes. I remember seeing the thread posted a while ago but never read through it.

Ah yeah, that script made me laugh. Deployable... vehicles, is what he's got working, using the existing ebike, quad, or mosquito already in Epoch. Completely unbalancing in my opinion, and frankly unrealistic. I never really liked deployable bicycles in Arma 2 Epoch though, prefer that they had to be bought not crafted from a few pieces of scrap.

I saw in another thread somebody mention a foldable bike that would take up the sledgehammer slot. This would be neat, however I still see a problem with the bicycle using up a vehicle slot on the server. I think just a simple, buy the bicycle from trader or find on map, limited supply on the server, and you own it just like a vehicle sounds cleanest. You could make them super cheap at trader, rent-a-bike, and despawn on restart too if somebody preferred that style. 

• 2 weeks later...

I don't like them. Every server I've played on they became the primary method of travel and completed negated the use of vehicles.

You popped a tire? Repack it.

Need to logoff? Pack it up.

Need to go somewhere? I've got a vehicle in my pocket.

As for adding a bicycle, go for it, but I'd rather see new unique vehicles like the ebike. Maybe something like a bank truck or similar.

I don't like them. Every server I've played on they became the primary method of travel and completed negated the use of vehicles.

You popped a tire? Repack it.

Need to logoff? Pack it up.

Need to go somewhere? I've got a vehicle in my pocket.

As for adding a bicycle, go for it, but I'd rather see new unique vehicles like the ebike. Maybe something like a bank truck or similar.

Agreed, "deployable" bicycles are not great, and don't even make sense from an immersive point of view. I would enjoy just bicycles on the map, like you find gokarts. The advantage being they're quiet, disadvantage being they are slower, break easy, and an exposed moving target while riding one. 

You cant use realism as an argument in a game like this without expecting the same arguments to be made about lots of other features.

The deployable bike is fantastic for gameplay, no-one is arguing that its realistic and so doesnt break immersion.

Its essential to sacrifice realism for gameplay, otherwise you get a shitty game.