Your preference: PVE or PVP Epoch servers?

Snakeyes

Which type server do you prefer to play on, PVE or PVP? I enjoy both for different reasons. If I'm focused on building a base I prefer to play on a PVE server. There is enough to do without the PVP element. Otherwise, PVP adds some excitement and tension to the gameplay. I'm considering changing my server over to PVP until the Antagonists/AI Missions ramp up. It would give players more to do in the meantime.

Which type server do you prefer to play on, PVE or PVP? I enjoy both for different reasons. If I'm focused on building a base I prefer to play on a PVE server. There is enough to do without the PVP element. Otherwise, PVP adds some excitement and tension to the gameplay. I'm considering changing my server over to PVP until the Antagonists/AI Missions ramp up. It would give players more to do in the meantime.

Just an idea that some Altis Life servers are already using (probably not achievable yet without AI missions anyways). Have it so that some part of the map is PVE only and some part of the map is full PVP (WEST pve, East PVP). make players want to go to the full pvp area by giving better rewards for doing so.

This would fit both the PVE and PVP crowd.

Just an idea that some Altis Life servers are already using (probably not achievable yet without AI missions anyways). Have it so that some part of the map is PVE only and some part of the map is full PVP (WEST pve, East PVP). make players want to go to the full pvp area by giving better rewards for doing so.

This would fit both the PVE and PVP crowd.

I considered that on an Epoch server that I ran previously for ArmA2. I wanted to set-up markers and triggers for the PVP zones. The triggers were meant to notify a player that they were either entering or exiting a PVP zone, similar to the way it works with the traders. One of my admins asked how we could possibly manage that since we were not always online. I considered his comments and agreed. We would probably run into PVP killings on the map outside of the designated PVP zones. Then you run into problems with players. I like the concept though. It gives players a choice while playing on the same server. 

PvP all the way for us on our server, the antagonists are too rare, there has to be an element of risk.

Finding loot up North to take back to my base down South makes for some arse twitching moments, when you see a car and think please don't see me, I have all this loot :lol:

PvP all the way for us on our server, the antagonists are too rare, there has to be an element of risk.

Finding loot up North to take back to my base down South makes for some arse twitching moments, when you see a car and think please don't see me, I have all this loot :lol:

LOL Richie. :lol:

Pucker factor is what makes this all fun. Without the risk of losing anything it gets stale pretty fast.

Yeah, until there are missions to run PVP is the only real game play. Looting if fun and all but after a few days what is there really to find other than food and drink? Vehicles are limited and all of them can be found on the map. 

The real issue for PVE will be keeping players interested. With A2 you could put expensive toys in the trader that they had to work long and hard to obtain, but in A3 that won't really be the case since the traders only have what it there. 

Now if the missions are story line based like we have been teased with and can be set to be difficult then a PVE server might be fun for some. 

I personally like the PVP servers, just not really the base raiding aspect. As it sits right now, you can take a week to find all the stuff you need to build a base. Then one fresh spawn who finds a couple of explosives (which are more common than metal) can come along and take it all and you have to start over. Can be fun if your the one doing the raid, not if your the one being raided. :)

<snip>

I personally like the PVP servers, just not really the base raiding aspect. As it sits right now, you can take a week to find all the stuff you need to build a base. Then one fresh spawn who finds a couple of explosives (which are more common than metal) can come along and take it all and you have to start over. Can be fun if your the one doing the raid, not if your the one being raided. :)

It seems like there needs to be a better way to secure bases. I won't invest much time in base building if they can be destroyed so easily. Some players want to see the world burning.

I appreciate your comments. I'm going to flip my server to PVP soon.

PVP - All day. Sure there is lots to do in PVE, but to me it's boring. What's the point of a base if you have nothing to protect and everyone is friendly? If you die, someone grabs your stuff and picks you up. In a PVP environment it's much more of a challenge. You die, you struggle to get to your body in hopes its not looted, and if you fail, then turn to your base for resources. And missions are no challenge what so ever when the entire server is there helping each other.  Edit : My feelings on the base raiding. Correct me if im wrong, but from what i have read A3 Epoch servers limit how many bases are built and if that "fresh spawn" wants to build a base, sometimes it requires to remove a base to open up the plot space. However i dont think it should be as easy as everyone describes.

Found this old screenshot from 4 years ago when I ran my first dayz server. I basically split the entire map in half, top was PVP and the bottom half was PVE.  There was a large area in the middle that allowed players to cross over with plenty of warning, through title text and system chat. It also meant that snipers couldn't snipe in from the Red zone at pve'rs who were just on the edge of the green zone.  Worked fine for about a week, then everyone got bored because nobody wanted to hit the redzone in fear of dying and nobody wanted to hit the green zone because it was too boring.. lol.. you can't win! they'll ask for PVE one minute, then moan there isnt much action the next and demand PVP.. 

2013_01_27_00001.jpg

Epoch is both .... but people need to start to learn to role play, if you want the pvp go to Wasteland or the other mods Arma 3 has to offer... This is supposed to be about survival... Within the context of the story, of course .. Spawn killing people and doing all that shit that pisses people off when they are just trying to do their own things, I understand ... Yes there is going to be severe players interactions shootouts and what not over gear/loot that's fine, but people need to start role playing ... when everyone role plays it's more fun makes the game more immersive, like if youre going to go for people and kill them for their loot at least have it be out there in the playing field ... People need to understand this is about banding together and surviving make or breaking allegiances to survive ... Like when someone is decked out and you see a fresh spawn player 50 meters from the spawn trader and you just kill him ... See that's not okay. Even in times of apocalyptic survival the rules of engagement still stand and people should follow them if the person is no threat to you ... then why the fuck kill him, that just makes you an asshole, and ruins the game for a lot of the people... The mod is fun and should fun for everyone ... This is not wasteland, this is not king of the hill this is certainly not Battlefield or Call of Duty... Thank god for that shit BI (Love you guys) It is PVE and PVP, but the game is mainly PVE. 

great job guys love the mod. Keep up the good work, you have my vote. 

I personally don't think it matters what a player is in to.

There is something for everyone.

The only thing I would say is ... If you want to get on a big server with lots of big groups.. You would be wise to be in a group yourself.

One vs. Many usually doesn't end up in your favor. 

This is supposed to be about survival... 

The key point here. When it comes down to "surviving" key elements are, food/nutrients, water/hydration and maintaining body temperature. Now when you are are freezing & starving to death because these supplies are nearly non existant... are you going to just watch a fully dressed man walk by munching on a can of tuna? Doubt it. I think at that point an animal like instinct will develop in all of us and you will indeed kill for the means to survive.

Note: If they wanted a PVE based mod, then killing players wouldn't be the key trigger to spawn certain antagonists.

Both, depending on my mood.  Our main server is Epoch Overwatch Origins and is primarily PVE (with a little PVP).  We're working to make the missions such that cooperative play is necessary for completion.  So far so good.   Once that server is working well, we're probably going to set up a pure PVP server where or development server is today, with all the necessary mods and scripts to foster that.

I agree, the post-apocalyptic feel is an important aspect of the gameplay regardless of PVP or PVE.  So far, last time I played A3, it's pure role-play with no sense of post-apocalyptic anything.  Just take a role, run around (or drive around) doing their flavor of missions.  The map is too expansive and too many people just take on a bandit-type role and try to hold you up.  I also don't like the requirement that if someone says "hands up" that you have to comply rather than fight back.  Not too real-life.  I want the option to either do that or fight back and have the consequences be appropriate for the situation (e.g., was he a bandit and I was defending myself?).

The key point here. When it comes down to "surviving" key elements are, food/nutrients, water/hydration and maintaining body temperature. Now when you are are freezing & starving to death because these supplies are nearly non existant... are you going to just watch a fully dressed man walk by munching on a can of tuna? Doubt it. I think at that point an animal like instinct will develop in all of us and you will indeed kill for the means to survive.

Note: If they wanted a PVE based mod, then killing players wouldn't be the key trigger to spawn certain antagonists.

That's the whole point, I never said anything about not killing people .. the ROE still stand even in post apocalyptic world, you're a survivor of a mass extinction, so are others ... and sometimes you will have to kill people to survive (Be it just to take something they have) but the ROE still stand even this far ... Although killing people for no reason makes no sense in this MOD (Killing fresh spawn in spawn traders or killing a player that is nor armed and not a threat) and that's what people need to understand. You're the supposed to follow the story and I am sure the developers can agree to this... 

Check out my Epoch selfie :D

post-27034-0-13264600-1418069312_thumb.j

(Killing fresh spawn in spawn traders or killing a player that is nor armed and not a threat) 

I also agree with that 100%  and i consider those folks trolls, and wasteland is indeed where they belong. But they dont have the required talent to play wasteland because they'll get killed long before they get to a camping spot.