Shoot first, ask questions later.

Elzeth

Is this the main approach for every Epoch player? 

My game session consists of running around for, approximately 1 - 2 hours, depends on how lucky I am with gear etc.

And when I get decent enough gear, I start looking for vehicles/items to build a home base.

But then, I run into a random player, with my guns down or in my backpack and try to be nice. And all I get in return is led to the face, this has happened now 21 times today (actually counting).

This is one of two scenarios when meeting another player. The other thing I'm thinking about is these Snipers that are laying way up in the mountain somewhere, just waiting for a non geared player to enter there sight... I mean, come on. I know there's a thrill when it comes to sniping from a far. But my god, this seems to be every players agenda.

I am not on a furious rant, I just had to get it out.

Is there anyone out there who is playing, perhaps alone and want to group up, not killing every non AI you see..

If you want a friendly play session, stay away of the entire west island, as that's where the spawn points are. Play with some friends, and stick to far away locations (ie. not the airport, not Lakka, nor Athira). Essentially people who want that "respawn, loot for a gun, shoot to kill, die, rinse repeat"-stick to those areas.

This is a sandbox, all playstyles are valid.

Friendliness is all server community based. It depends on the players in the server. 

In Mells house it's kind of "you shoot, basically say GG and give the person their gear back" . As a trophy, the person that got killed gives something to the person that killed him. Just something friendly. Not all the players play like that, but most. 

I too tend to find this is the mentality of most of the players of the MOD. Again not bitching but in all seriousness some of us actually want to be able to start base building and testing stuff. If all you are going to do is go around and shoot people go and play wasteland or something the holster weapon feature of Epoch is there for a reason to show that you are not a SOS player and that you are friendly and have no intention of shooting on sight / sniping like a lame asshole.

Unfortunately it seems all the gear is on the west of the island where all the traders are spawning i'm unsure if there is a correlation between the two but you can hunt round kavala for a day and find literally nothing but junk however go to pyrgos and your kitted relatively sharpish.

Could we perhaps all agree to have an gentlemen's agreement and not SOS those players with holstered weapons just so those of us who don;t have a crew of 10 people actually get a chance to test instead of constantly gearing up and that's all? I'm not here to gear up constantly I am here to test the functionality of the MOD which includes base building.

/rant

Pry

Are the servers available to play?

The official ones are either passworded or whitelisted due to hangender and his motley crew of skiddies. You would need to request a password from a server owner / Epoch Mod Developer to gain access. Of which you can thank Hangender for as it was previously opened to the public until he tried blackmailing the dev's.

Regards,

Pry

@Pry

I agree.. I think we've tested the repawn and spawn teleports enough. I understand people want to have fun however people need to rest other things. This stage of the development is to help find bugs and test aspects that might not have not been tested/found yet.

If nothing else try to make contact with the person before shooting, a little role play hasn't killed anyone.

I too tend to find this is the mentality of most of the players of the MOD. Again not bitching but in all seriousness some of us actually want to be able to start base building and testing stuff. If all you are going to do is go around and shoot people go and play wasteland or something the holster weapon feature of Epoch is there for a reason to show that you are not a SOS player and that you are friendly and have no intention of shooting on sight / sniping like a lame asshole.

Unfortunately it seems all the gear is on the west of the island where all the traders are spawning i'm unsure if there is a correlation between the two but you can hunt round kavala for a day and find literally nothing but junk however go to pyrgos and your kitted relatively sharpish.

Could we perhaps all agree to have an gentlemen's agreement and not SOS those players with holstered weapons just so those of us who don;t have a crew of 10 people actually get a chance to test instead of constantly gearing up and that's all? I'm not here to gear up constantly I am here to test the functionality of the MOD which includes base building.

/rant

Pry

I generally hang around by myself or one other mostly holstered. I generally will SOS if they have a gun out but it's not because I am an asshole it's mostly because I just don't want to be killed myself. If they are unarmed or have holstered their weapon I generally will leave them be, if they salute I will generally see them as friendly. 

I'm not a huge fan of SOS/KOS but sometimes it does call for it after hours of gathering loot it can be troublesome coming across someone with their bug gun. I just try to avoid most players though and go undetected. If I know someone is around I leave the area quickly and quietly.

As for base building if I could find more than like 1 salvaged metal a week then yeah I'd love to lol.

I feel your pain Elzeth.

Our group have been following the development of Epoch since it was announced and have had a Arma2 Epoch server since it was first available, we have always placed PvE first and helped other players when we could, by not having a SOS mentality we have developed some good gaming friendships over the past couple of years.

PvP is part of Epoch sure but i think more there should be more emphasis on PvE in the development stage.

That being said, there is always going to be a player base in Epoch as in Arma2 that find scavaging/building and interacting with others just to much work.

There are alot of players out there in groups and singles that i feel have a valuable contribution to make to the development and at this stage have given up joining the servers (myself included) for the very reasons you have outlined.

Speaking for myself, i will not join the unofficial servers as a matter of respect to the dev's and continue to support the development by trying to stay active in the streams etc.

Me and my crew shoot on sight. It don't matter if they're geared, freshspawns or have their weapons holstered. 
Too many times have we been killed when giving players with holstered weapons the benefit of the doubt.
Freshspawns are the most dangerous ones, there's no way of telling if they have a pistol holstered.

Dying 21 times on one day when your not looking for trouble, how do you even manage to do that? It really sounds like you must start moving more careful and pay more attention on your surroundings.

KOS is there because it's a ARMA engine which is a shooter, every mod out there that's based on ARMA has a large portion of KOS' ers exept the hardcore RP servers but even there they often seem quick on the trigger.

The humanity system kept me from KOS but it had other problems and removed some of the sandbox feel. I will try being more open minded like I once was to strangers but after the first couple of days in this mod it's going to be hard I think.

Keep your spirit up and remember that this is in alpha and when it's released there will probably be RP servers.

Is this the main approach for every Epoch player? 

My game session consists of running around for, approximately 1 - 2 hours, depends on how lucky I am with gear etc.

And when I get decent enough gear, I start looking for vehicles/items to build a home base.

But then, I run into a random player, with my guns down or in my backpack and try to be nice. And all I get in return is led to the face, this has happened now 21 times today (actually counting).

This is one of two scenarios when meeting another player. The other thing I'm thinking about is these Snipers that are laying way up in the mountain somewhere, just waiting for a non geared player to enter there sight... I mean, come on. I know there's a thrill when it comes to sniping from a far. But my god, this seems to be every players agenda.

I am not on a furious rant, I just had to get it out.

Is there anyone out there who is playing, perhaps alone and want to group up, not killing every non AI you see..

I also am a solo player and this too is my experience. I will say that i have had much less KOS SOS incidents since the mod opened up to unofficial servers. When it was whitelist only i was lucky to survive a hour without being killed! Never found a hatchet or a vehicle. 

It is only lately that i have started to have time to get geared and try crafting and building, (although i still have not got the knack of the latter ).

As to your last request yes am open to teaming with someone who wishes to explore the mod and test features and learn what it has to offer.

You all should be happy to know that a system I've been putting together for a couple months should address this issue....to an extent.

If all goes as planned, it should accomplish 3 things.
-Add another layer of strategy to all player encounters.
-Provide lone wolves with enough advantage(if prepared) to level the playing field.
-most importantly, will NOT make veteran hostile players feel dragged into care-bear land.

I'm not going into it in this thread.

...but I've been considering every angle into and around this system....and feel we may actually solve the shoot-on-sight dilemma; without stripping players of choice.

I think everyone knows by now that both of those systems didn't actually achieve what they were intended to.

Oh yeah, what I meant was that i like that your actions makes what you are and not you when you spawn.

Can´t wait to see what you bring to the table.

KOS is not a new thing. Why would you expect it not to happen here? Just because its Alpha? Some players join these servers just to shoot people. I have tried giving people the benefit of the doubt but after so many times of getting shot in the back you tend to stop giving anyone the benefit. Just the other night Stugots and I was running north of Infectious I think its called. Some guy opened fire on us thankfully he was a bad aim and we took him out. If you are not in my group and on our teamspeak server you are a target. Sad but true.