Cloaking Device Uniform

FFDP

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?183717-Cloaking 

thanks to  DreadedEntity and HallyG for their scripting knowledge in making this work. 

When I start up an Arma 3 Epoch server after official release, this script will be going on my server. 

I made a mission with it in action, if any of you want to try it out. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=320152937&searchtext=

The cloak is setup to work only with one of the VR suits. The condition can be changed to use any other uniform, or you can just add a simple addaction into the init.sqf for anyone to use. I prefer that it's restricted to certain uniforms. 

init.sqf

player addAction ["Cloak", "cloak.sqf", [], 6, false, true, "",
"
    (uniform player) in
    [""U_B_Protagonist_VR"",""U_B_Soldier_VR"",""U_C_Soldier_VR"",
    ""U_I_Protagonist_VR"",""U_I_Soldier_VR"",""U_O_Protagonist_VR"",""U_O_Soldier_VR""]
"];

Cloak.sqf

_id = _this select 2;
player removeAction _id;

_Unit = _this select 0; 

_nil = [] execVM "HeatEffect.sqf"; 

sleep 3;

_Unit hideObjectGlobal true;  
SystemChat "Cloak Active";  
_Unit setCaptive true;  

sleep 60;

_Unit hideObjectGlobal false; 

sleep 2;

deleteVehicle Heat;  
SystemChat "Cloak Deactivated"; 

sleep 120;

SystemChat "Cloak Available For Use";
player addaction ["Cloak", "Cloak.sqf", [], 6, false, true];

HeatEffect.sqf

Heat = "#particlesource" createVehicleLocal getpos player; 
Heat setParticleCircle [0, [0, 0, 0]]; 
Heat setParticleRandom [0, [0.25, 0.25, 0], [0.175, 0.175, 0], 0, 0.25, [0, 0, 0, 0.1], 0, 0]; 
Heat setParticleParams [["\A3\data_f\ParticleEffects\Universal\Refract", 1, 0, 1], "", "Billboard", 1, 12.5, [0, 0, 0], [0, 0, 0.75], 0, 10.3, 7.8, 0.075, [1.2, 2, 4], [[0.1, 0.1, 0.1, 1], [0.25, 0.25, 0.25, 0.5], [0.5, 0.5, 0.5, 0]], [0.08], 1, 0, "", "", XXXOBJECTXXX]; 
Heat setDropInterval 0.05; 
Heat attachto [player,[0,0,0.25]];
interval =  0.05; 
CircleRadius = 0; 
CircleVelocity[] = {0,0,0}; 
particleShape ="\A3\data_f\ParticleEffects\Universal\Refract"; 
particleFSNtieth =1; 
particleFSIndex =0; 
particleFSFrameCount =1; 
particleFSLoop =0; 
angle =0; 
angleVar =0; 
animationName = ""; 
particleType = "Billboard";                  
timerPeriod = 1 ;                 
lifeTime = 12.5;                  
moveVelocity[] = {0, 0, 0.75};                  
rotationVelocity = 0;            
weight = 10.3;                          
volume = 7.8;                         
rubbing = 0.075;               
size[] = {1,1};                    
animationSpeed[] = {1};                    
lifeTimeVar = 0;                  
positionVar[] = {0.25, 0.25, 0};            
positionVarConst[] = {0, 0, 0};         
moveVelocityVar[] = {0.175, 0.175, 0};       
moveVelocityVarConst[] = {0, 0, 0};      
rotationVelocityVar = 0;             
sizeVar = 0.25;                  
colorVar[] = {0, 0, 0, 0};              
randomDirectionPeriodVar = 0;        
randomDirectionIntensityVar = 0;        
sizeCoef = 1;                             
colorCoef[]={0,0,0,0.1};                    
animationSpeedCoef = 1;                   
destroyOnWaterSurface = 0;                
destroyOnWaterSurfaceOffset = 0;         
onSurface = true;                         
keepOnSurface = false;                    
surfaceOffset = 0;                      
bounceOnSurface = 0.6;                    
bounceOnSurfaceVar = 0.0;                
postEffects = "";            
particleEffects = "";  

The way it works is, you put on the uniform, and in your action menu will be the option to cloak. Cloak is set to last for 60 seconds. When the cloak deactivates, it will take 120 seconds till the suit can be used again to cloak. If you don't have on the VR suit, you will not be able to cloak. Put on the suit and you are able to cloak. 

By restricting this to a rare type of uniform, it prevents it from being overly used on a server. Also the VR suits do not have cargo space for inventory, I believe. The 60 seconds cloaked and 120 seconds cooldown/recharge prevents it from being used all the time. 

I'm curious to hear what yall think about this. 

If you could add in the use of energy that's apart of the MOD already to also make it work then I think this would bring in an extra dynamic for the MOD. It would either help get out of a firefight you are caught in the middle of OR can help you sneak up and take out that pesky bandit / douchebag that kept killing you at a Spawn point trader / trader.

Pry

Very cool.  Nice work.

This is always a matter of balance and taste, so allow me to take this opportunity to ask all of you 2 questions.

Those of you who out the gate think it's too OP:

1: If it were in the game, under what stipulations would you even remotely accept it as a factor in Epoch?
(example: Consumes an entire energy pack within 10 seconds, maxes out player's fatigue; exhausting the player entirely after a short use of cloak; extremely rare, etc)

2:  Why do you think, no matter what cost or rarity...that it should never ever make it's way into a competitive server?

Thank you, all of you for being here and offering your feedback; we really friggin' appreciate it!

I'll take a crack at question two:

"Just two years after the mass extinction of billions of people. Those that remain are left with remnants of a once technological society"

That is all.

Edit: After reading the description again I realized it could be interpreted as if the world was a thriving technologicaly advanced society until a recent catastrophe. I originally assumed there was 25+ years of zombie apocalypse before epoch and that technology hasn't really advanced since real life present day.

I reckon the technology needed is theoretically possible already,  but to bend that much light to that extreme would require huge forces of gravity. But hey, it's 2035 and we already have cinderblock-monsters and body-less cloaks that hurl fire, which are far more unrealistic than invisibility devices. Plus, it's a fecking game to enjoy, so more fun stuff the better, in my opinion.

1: If it were in the game, under what stipulations would you even remotely accept it as a factor in Epoch?

(example: Consumes an entire energy pack within 10 seconds, maxes out player's fatigue; exhausting the player entirely after a short use of cloak; extremely rare, etc)

I would remotely accept it as a factor if this ability "cloaking" was attainable via an ultra rare item pickup.By making it an ultra rare item it would get people out and looking for it making more use of the map.Or let it be known/common knowledge that it drops in a part of the map that isn't traveled to as much compared to other parts of the map. I use to play Everquest back in the day. People would literally sit and camp area's for hours. People didnt have guns because it was PvE. By making cloaking a rare /ultra rare drop, in a known area this would create fighting for a specific areas or two on the map. I think it would be pretty cool. Has to be kept PvP though. There should be nothing nice about waiting around for it =p.

In your example you said it could cost energy packs, max out fatigue, exhaust the player. That all can be worked out and is doable. Thats not really the issue. The issue is balance.

You have to give a little to take a little. And how I would balance it is make some sort of infrared heat radar HUD if you are going to give players the ability to go unnoticed.

Or what would be even cooler is to code something that lets you cloak your base.

2:  Why do you think, no matter what cost or rarity...that it should never ever make it's way into a competitive server?

Personally I am a huge fan of using the terrain to move unnoticed.

Lurk in the shadows so to speak. That takes skill.

Not be the shadow----> "cloaking"

Why only melee weapon ?

I think this can be use in Epoch, but with huge requirement.

Like VR suit really rare, consume huge amount of energy, and stay active for a short time, like 30 secondes, and a huge Cooldown, like 10 minutes.

An other effect could be run faster and make no sound when running.

And, well, as Sequisha said, it's just a matter of balance.

And i think it's not so unrealistic. Come on, it's future !

I am a little hesitant about a Harry Potter cloak. I agree with the extremely high energy consumption and extremely long cool down. In addition there should probably be a reserve required, hell, full energy 2500/2500, lasts 60 sec, drains all 2500, takes 1hr cool down. Or something around those lines. So that it's used for like booking it outta a hot situation rather than camping. Maybe like someone else suggested, it spawns in predetermined areas only, maybe guarded by a bunch of AI. Or if there are ever AI based missions implemented it could be obtainable from specific missions. Shouldn't be for sale, if you sell it to a trader it gets removed from the traders inventory. Maybe putting it on removes your backpack and chest gear, maybe it takes up the chest slot even when inert, puts off a low hum or something, refracts the light like predator so it's not completely invisible, Just a few thoughts.

No. simply no. Arma is a military based sandbox game. if your gona add a body based cloaking device , your just gona have people demanding klingons and borg and tribbles. no body wants tribbles.

Have you not seen the next antagonist they're developing? It's a fecking 50ft rock monster!

What's a tribbles btw?