Three Little Pigs my @$$

Eegore

So Ive spent the past few days doing nothing but finding planes/helicopters and crashing them into bases.  PvP servers can not have wooden bases.

With that said I understand the upgrade to "cinderblock" housing but my question is why bother with the wood system to begin with?  Why have this full system that works decent become obsolete in a week? 

Will people actually choose to have a weaker base for some reason?

Wow, you sound like a fun guy to have on a server. :P

Just because something can be destroyed, it doesn't mean you have to.

There are quite a few PVE/RP servers where any form of basebuilding is a nice addition, because we don't have players who love to wreck other peoples hard work.

Have to agree, I've visited a few servers recently where people either want no PVP or simply no griefing. They state it from the off. One particular server I've played on a lot recently has zero tolerance for pointless murdering and also griefing. They've around 10-15 regular players and the admins will just ban anyone doing the kind of thing Eegore seems to be doing. Still has firefights etc. No server can surely be moderated 24/7 but with the rules stated in the server name & load screen, it's worked at putting off the folk who just want to wreck other people's things for the sake of it.

As much as the highest ranked Epoch servers are full of PVP, there's a growing number who just want more of a roleplaying experience or a server with more emphasis on battling NPCs. Main reason I like Epoch is for the fact it's so versatile.

It's down to the server owners what they do with this mod. If they allow griefing for example, then they can turn to things like Base Building 1.2 to protect buildings more and just treat Epoch as more of a base. Other things that can be edited are the weapons and vehicles available, how much they cost, how much they spawn, plus how strict rules are and whether there are enough admins / mods to enforce them

So Ive spent the past few days doing nothing but finding planes/helicopters and crashing them into bases.  PvP servers can not have wooden bases.

With that said I understand the upgrade to "cinderblock" housing but my question is why bother with the wood system to begin with?  Why have this full system that works decent become obsolete in a week? 

Will people actually choose to have a weaker base for some reason?

A couple questions you may want to ask yourself:

What would happen in real life if you crashed a helicopter into a wooden shanty?

Would players want to waste their helicopter ruining someone's work if they were in limited or rare supply?

If such destructive tools are available in excess, nearly to the point of being freely expendable...

...then why are they so readily available?

This form of crafting is not only an *option*, but this modular base-building system also asks the question to individual server operators:

"Are we capable of adapting and balancing the cumbersome arsenal we provide to our player-base?" (if this is in fact a concern)

This question is, of course...if they're open minded enough to take a step back and review what their players really need.

Their hands aren't tied, the configs are there for amending; their choice entirely what changes they'd like to make.

The main thing is, they have complete control over weapons available, vehicles available and their own general set of guidelines; all of which are capable of

governing the concern you have.

It's neither our decision nor responsibility to balance drastic changes that have been made by server operators.

Wood building should be much easyier to do then the concrete system.

As durability gets harder so should building it and so then people have the choice of what level they want to do.

But since wood can just be pushed over why would people even waste the time?  Just store things in safes until you have the supplies to build concrete. 

Also will concrete just fall over too?  Is there a reason to build at all?

I see a serious lack of critical thinking here by the users.

1.  If the developers are going to introduce multiple types of building materials into the mod-u-base system (< I copyright that if it catches on btw (: ), AND this system doesn't include a deconstruction option, only destruction of the objects, it would make sense to release the "finished" system with the least durable components.  Testing time is reduced that way and player feedback can be obtained while the first version is live.  During this time the other tiers of durability are being developed based on feedback about the system as a whole.

2. Just because a component is weaker doesn't make it obsolete.  Consider the material cost of building an entire base from concrete then consider the cost of building just the outward facing walls out of concrete and inner walls out of wood.  If you don't get where I am going with this right off the bat ... just go back to sniping helpless new spawns in elecktro.

3. If everyone's base is destroyed in a night or two from some d-bag who crashed choppers into them for the heck of it, it's not the fault of the developers, its the player and the server admins who made it too easy to quickly and cheaply obtain the tools to go on such a rampage and did not enforce sufficient rules or policies to balance the gameplay.

If all servers ran the traders with no/little stock and fully destructible bases, they would be dead and empty. You would need a huge server population and turn over for the traders to gain any kind of sustainable stock.

It would get to a point where the traders were always empty and people wouldn't bother with them. Especially those who get enough buildable materials together, they would stop selling what they find. Add to this no safezones for the traders and there would be another element to stop people trading.

Money is also unlimited, the traders all have an unlimited supply so eventually people would just end up entirely rich, there would be no money sink, nothing to buy and no real need for the currency.

This might work if the server could hold 100's or even 1000's at a time but for the model this is aimed at, there isnt the population for it per server, and take this from someone who is running a very busy server and has done since Epoch first launched. Another reason dayzepoch.com should just host the servers themselves and not allow others to host, allow us to host and we will make it the game we want as we have that option.

DayZ is a mod that is orientated around PvP, not PvE.. there is little to no PvE content. Without PvP this would just be The Sims. PvP adds the danger that the zombies don't. If people wanted to just build houses, they'd play minecraft with PvP turned off. They're here to kill each other in the majority of cases and in the mean time when theres no action they do other things like restock their killing tools and build a bigger hideout.

You're missing the OPs point, as most servers are orientated towards destruction, no-one will bother with the wooden structures as they are so easy to destroy. You can just run them over.

Talking about full realism in a game is ridiculous, it does not and will not ever work. The first issue here, there are zombies in the game and you call the realism card? lol

I agree ToeJam.

And on top of all your well made points, there's the absolute joke amount of time needed to build these Wendy Houses only for abandoned Lada to knock them down in one go, lol.

Each to their own though, but wouldn't it be nice if you could just buy a stencilled flat pack house that you erect at the push of a button, if the laborious crafting of houses didn't appeal to you?

And just another point. If the Devs have a problem with indestructible houses, why don't you write a script that allows the destroyment of the many houses that are part of the map?

HEY GUYS
DID YOU KNOW THAT YOU CAN USE SANDBAGS AND TANK TRAPS IN ORDER TO PROTECT YOUR BASE FROM PEOPLE RUNNING IT OVER?
NO? WELL, NOW YOU DO!

I've created sandbag walls with tank traps surrounded a garage I am building.
The wood is for the structure, and it helps lay out a base without having to blow it up with satchels in order to take it down.
It is also used for aesthetics in my place. The concrete will be layered between my sandbag/tanktraps and my wood walls.

The reason for the modular base building system is to build up.
You guys are the reason DayZ has become shit.
The damn server owners who spoil their players ruin it for the rest of us who want to play the game under survival roles instead of robbing other people's work from them.

Now that DayZ Epoch has built up a great base for server admins to restore DayZ (I applaud the servers that have great up-keep without base building), it paves the way for a better experience.

If you don't like the damn mod, uninstall it or make your own.
It's not rocket science.

Kind-Sir, heres an idea.. how about you play it your way and we play it our way?

I have a fix for destructible buildables btw. Coming shortly :-)

Yeah, which would be swell if the guys who want indestructible bases would stop pestering the mod authors about it.

Fix your own damn sit, and batch it up yourself if you want to play it your way.

You sound far too emotionally invested in this mod and your beliefs to have a coherent conversation with. You don't want indestructible bases, the majority do. So we have a fix.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbPaj-75fG8&feature=youtu.be

Currently processing but thats it working on our test server :-)

Wow, so now you can build bases inside or near all mayor lootspots, and snipe people who come near them, without anyone being able to do anything about it.

Have fun doing a NWAF run when there's some idiot who build an indestructible bunker in the middle of the runway.

Even more brilliant, build a wooden wall right infront of everyone's base entrance.. 

You sound far too emotionally invested in this mod and your beliefs to have a coherent conversation with. You don't want indestructible bases, the majority do. So we have a fix.

-snip-

I am not "emotionally invested", I am simply expressing my opinion to get guys like you off of the dev's backs.

Glad you figured out how to change the HandleDamage event...

Wow, so now you can build bases inside or near all mayor lootspots, and snipe people who come near them, without anyone being able to do anything about it.

Have fun doing a NWAF run when there's some idiot who build an indestructible bunker in the middle of the runway.

Even more brilliant, build a wooden wall right infront of everyone's base entrance.. 

Seeing as we've had indestructible bases on our server since mid April and had less than 5 instances of this happening, I don't see a problem with it, easy to remedy and easy to trace. Players who do this get a holiday for it.

Bases arent built near cities, they're not allowed. High traffic areas are banned to. They're easy to see and easy to remove. These are our server rules.

Why do people who have absolutely no idea keep chiming in without engaging that meat lump in their skull first? Think things through before you sound off. Not everybody makes changes without thinking it thoughroughly through. Funnily enough, those making these assumptions and berating those for their decisions are the ones with empty servers. Go figure.