[Suggestion] Dog tags and faction.

Ballz

Sup homies, ballz here with another quick suggestion.

Originally my idea was a joke against a previous post of "ways to reduce pvp" I wanted ways to increase pvp.

Now I actually have a nice suggestion around the idea of dog tags. Basically when you kill someone you can remove their dog tags. These would be a physical item on the corpse.

The item would have a discription with the killer, weapon used, range etc.

These tags can then be traded in for reputation at either faction trader cities.

Dog tags can be kept or traded.

Reputation is stored in your own dog tags. If you die you lose 50% of your reputation which your killer can gain by handing in your tags.

Let me know what you lot think an comment suggestions etc .

Since you can alter your name easily in the game it sounds like this would be a great way for a clan of players to farm reputation. A bunch of players all kill one guy over and over and over then he kills them each once and everyone gets reputation. 

Also when you are killed you can't run back and pick up your lost rep if your attacker has left it. It will be lost forever.

The tags would only show up to your attacker.

Lose enough rep and you can no longer speak to your traders.

Gain rep by doing the mission and taking tokens from the mission back to the neutral traders.

Trade some rep to your friends so they can enter your faction.

Reputation isn't something you can store like gold. You carry it always.

Wouldn't be possible you don't spawn in with reputation.

That isn't what you said in your first post. Killing someone gives you reputation. If you die you lose half your reputation. So by what you stated what I said someone could do to work the system would be very easy to accomplish.

Basically it sounds really easy to farm for multiple players just like Bandit status is very simple to accomplish for multiple players. 

That isn't what you said in your first post. Killing someone gives you reputation. If you die you lose half your reputation. So by what you stated what I said someone could do to work the system would be very easy to accomplish.

Basically it sounds really easy to farm for multiple players just like Bandit status is very simple to accomplish for multiple players. 

You're taking the reputation directly from the player you are killing.

You're taking the reputation directly from the player you are killing.

Yes, I understood that. I don't think you understood my point. 

People will farm reputation and the way you laid it out it seems extremely simply to farm. For example:

Player 1 = me

Player 2 = Friend

Player 3 = ARMA II account I bought during one of the Steam sales and installed on my wife's Steam Account and thus my other computer. 

I see where 3 logged in, I move to that location and kill 3. Next time I respawn on 3 I let my friend on 2 kill them. Then I change names on player 3. Log in to server, kill with 1. Lather, rinse, repeat until I have all the reputation I need. 

People will farm reputation and the way you laid it out it seems extremely simply to farm. For example:

Player 1 = me

Player 2 = Friend

Player 3 = ARMA II account I bought during one of the Steam sales and installed on my wife's Steam Account and thus my other computer. 

I see where 3 logged in, I move to that location and kill 3. Next time I respawn on 3 I let my friend on 2 kill them. Then I change names on player 3. Log in to server, kill with 1. Lather, rinse, repeat until I have all the reputation I need. 

Any good script will not matter about changing your name. the player id under the hood never changes and that can always be used to identify who you are. I administer a server where some players think if they change their name before. logging in they can get away with breaking the rules anonymously but our tools show that person with all known names they have used on the server.

as for the what you choose to kill your spare accounts Bambi there would be many ways you could combat that. you could have it so fresh spawns are worth nothing. and each player becomes for valuable as they survive. maybe kinda like the exp on minecraft. you kill things and build up points. on death you drop x amount of points to be gathered by the player who killed you. - make it so you have to loot them and maybe have it so you have to do it quickly or it disappears.

you could also add a system in so that if the same person keeps getting killed by the same couple of people that it flags them for admins to monitor automatically as as an admin I would class that as exploiting a system and could result in a temp or permanent ban.

also one of the comments was that dog tags might be a little unrealistic for survivors as they would not all be ex military but I do believe that everyone has ears, so at least for bandit rep you could have it so you turn in the left ears of your victims.

you could also add a system in so that if the same person keeps getting killed by the same couple of people that it flags them for admins to monitor automatically as as an admin I would class that as exploiting a system and could result in a temp or permanent ban.

So a group of 5 people with alternate accounts decide to farm reputation... how long before you kill the same account twice? People often come back to the same area they were just at so killing someone and then killing them a second time is pretty common so where do you set the threshold? How many kills over how many days is too much and triggers the script?

Besides, I wasn't critiquing what "could be done to prevent abuse but hasn't been mentioned" but what he stated the system was. My point still stands that OP system is exploitable... thus prompting others like yourself to brainstorm for ways to improve it.

So a group of 5 people with alternate accounts decide to farm reputation... how long before you kill the same account twice? People often come back to the same area they were just at so killing someone and then killing them a second time is pretty common so where do you set the threshold? How many kills over how many days is too much and triggers the script?

Besides, I wasn't critiquing what "could be done to prevent abuse but hasn't been mentioned" but what he stated the system was. My point still stands that OP system is exploitable... thus prompting others like yourself to brainstorm for ways to improve it.

first off, if you are only replying to the OP then you miss the purpose of a forum. the conversation morphs and changes over the course of the thread.and the idea is to come up with interesting idea that the Epoch team or fellow scriptwriters might like and implement.

secondly if you have any sort of gather mechanic then there will always be ways of exploiting it. you will find that most servers have a no exploit rule. meaning if your caught doing something the admins feel is exploiting then you get warned or banned.

That being said you could make the cost of death being much more.important. maybe when you die you have no reputation with the faction at all and have to start from scratch. being that you are technically a new survivor and not just a re-spawn of the person they were dealing with.  Maybe have it that you need to turn over 30 ears before you can talk with them. being player or AI ears doesn't matter.

You will always have people who decide to buy additional copies of the game so that they have mules or cannon fodder and there isn't much you can do but have active admins and moderators to check for that sort of thing.

You will always have people who decide to buy additional copies of the game so that they have mules or cannon fodder and there isn't much you can do but have active admins and moderators to check for that sort of thing.

You mean except not come up with ideas that make it even more rewarding to do that? Levels of exploitation vary as well, as presented the idea was an exploiter's dream especially when as he went on he started adding rewards for reputation and penalties for lack of it.

Reputation is something that doesn't need a mechanical aspect except for the crew that feels the need to put a value on something in order to boost their self esteem. Leaderboards and crap like that have no place in a SURVIVAL SIM. Living is it's own reward. 

You mean except not come up with ideas that make it even more rewarding to do that? Levels of exploitation vary as well, as presented the idea was an exploiter's dream especially when as he went on he started adding rewards for reputation and penalties for lack of it.

Reputation is something that doesn't need a mechanical aspect except for the crew that feels the need to put a value on something in order to boost their self esteem. Leaderboards and crap like that have no place in a SURVIVAL SIM. Living is it's own reward. 

Sorry but I don't understand your first point there, it doesn't seem to relate to my post and certainly not relating to the part you quoted?  

"You mean except not come up with ideas that make it even more rewarding to do that?"

I don't believe I said anything about not coming up with ideas, I said before that in definition forum is a place for people to discuss and generate new ideas.

Of course levels of exploitation vary, as do the different types of game mechanics. you are also right that the opening post and then his responses did contradict a little and would need to refine a system that would stay balanced. 

Why do leader boards and crap have no place? this is still a game and some (maybe even most) people like to challenge themselves to see if they can perform better then there last attempt, or the attempts of other veteran players.

If leader boards and achievement based systems were not important then why is it that almost every console and online gaming community site and online distribution programs (steam, uplay etc) have a achievement and score based ranking system.  I personally believe that "crew" you talk about is a major portion of the Gaming community. and that lots of big developers do market research to find what works and what doesn't.

Sorry but I don't understand your first point there, it doesn't seem to relate to my post and certainly not relating to the part you quoted?

It was directly related to what I quoted. "Nothing you do will stop people from..." "Except not REWARDING them EVEN MORE for cheating." which is what the system would do. Hey look, bonus reward for killing your other account.

I don't believe I said anything about not coming up with ideas, I said before that in definition forum is a place for people to discuss and generate new ideas.

I don't think you did either. I, however, was stating we shouldn't come up with ideas that will encourage more cheating for what amounts to no real gain in gameplay.

I personally believe that "crew" you talk about is a major portion of the Gaming community. and that lots of big developers do market research to find what works and what doesn't.

Just because something is popular, doesn't mean it is good.

Justin Bieber proves that statement.

Since the Epoch crew is not making money off the mod I don't see the need for duplicating "what works" instead of developing something innovative. As I stated, E-peen comparison tools are not needed for a survival sim. If you lived through another gaming session... you won! Go You!

1. The Idea of having some form of tag can be implemented with out giving reasons to cheat if it is implemented correctly.

2. The Idea of rep isn't a new Idea as it is already heavily implemented in Epoch A2 servers

3. New Ideas should be talked about even if the initial implementation might be exploitable as the community and clever developer will be able to fix loopholes.

4. the Bieber reference made me laugh out very loud at work and get some funny looks.

I really do like the idea of having some form of ranking system in the came. things like how long you lived on longest life and stuff.  if your the longest living survivor on a server and other can see it maybe have a way to make it you get lots of points if they kill you. but I believe the points shouldn't be persistent over lives. and I think if your killing less then day old (and I mean in game play time, not log in once a day) players they are worth nothing. then this idea could give more challenge.

you could also have wanted lists and kill on sight for bandit classes where you can trade in something of theirs as proof for a bounty. now I bet there would be a way to exploit but why should we not add things that are fun and cool just so the hacking and cheating community can't do it. that is what active admins and The Ban hammer is for.

and DerangedPony

They still wont be making money from the mod as such. They will have won some prize money for an entry in a compitition. If they were only after the money then way was A2 Epoch even created. 

Any good script will not matter about changing your name. the player id under the hood never changes and that can always be used to identify who you are. I administer a server where some players think if they change their name before. logging in they can get away with breaking the rules anonymously but our tools show that person with all known names they have used on the server.

as for the what you choose to kill your spare accounts Bambi there would be many ways you could combat that. you could have it so fresh spawns are worth nothing. and each player becomes for valuable as they survive. maybe kinda like the exp on minecraft. you kill things and build up points. on death you drop x amount of points to be gathered by the player who killed you. - make it so you have to loot them and maybe have it so you have to do it quickly or it disappears.

also one of the comments was that dog tags might be a little unrealistic for survivors as they would not all be ex military but I do believe that everyone has ears, so at least for bandit rep you could have it so you turn in the left ears of your victims.

Player 1 = me

Player 2 = Friend

If you kill 3 you won't get any rep unless 3 has actually gained some. You wouldn't start with rep.

I have 5k rep.

Someone kills me.

I lose 50% of my rep.

I have 2.5k rep.

My killer gained 2.5k rep.

I spawn in with no rep.

Someone kills me.

I lose 50% of my rep.

I have 0 rep.

My killer gained 0 rep.

I have 5k rep.

I get killed by a npc.