[How To] Set up a local server

Achmed

Question

After seeing a lot of people having problems setting up a local server for testing or just a few friends to play on I decided to do this how to guide.

To make sure we don't mess up the Arma2/Arma2OA folders we will make a copy of them in a new folder.
You are going to need between 20GB and 25GB of free hard drive space for this along with a small amount for the database.

Having wrote this from memory there may be some mistakes or missing parts. If you have any problems let me know and i will update the post.

[Required Downloads & Installs]

Latest version of Epoch server and client files. Available from http://epochmod.com/ After download extract them to your desktop ready for later.

Install Visual C++ x86 Redistribution Packages for Visual Studio 2013. Available from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784 The file required is called "vcredist_x86.exe".

Install a MySQL server. A lot of people recommend XAMPP however I had nothing but problems with it so I use MySQL server. Available from http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/ 

Install HeidiSQL to edit the database. Available from http://www.heidisql.com/

[Creating the server]

1) Create a new folder where you want the server to be located and give it a name. Personally I have mine on my second hard drive called "Dayz Epoch Server" however the location and name are not important.

2) Copy all files from your Arma2 folder ("C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Arma 2" if purchased through steam) to the folder you created in step 1

3) When step 2 has completed, copy all files excluding any folder that starts with a "@" from your Ama2 OA folder to the folder ("C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead" if purchased through steam) you created in step 1. When prompted, click overwrite all files.

4) Copy the "@DayZ_Epoch" folder from the Epoch client files to the folder you created in step 1

5) Copy the "@DayZ_Epoch_Server" folder from the Epoch Server files to the folder you created in step 1

6) Copy all files and folders from "Epoch Server Files\Config-Examples\" to the folder you created in step 1

7) Copy the folder "MPMissions" from the Epoch Server Files to the folder created in step 1. If asked, click yes to merge the folders.

8) Copy the folder "Keys" from the Epoch Server Files to the folder created in step 1. If asked, click yes to merge the folders.

9) Copy the .dll files from the Epoch Server Files to the folder created in step 1

[setting up the database]

By now you should already have a MySQL database installed, if not go back to the "Required Downloads & Installs" section and complete the installs.

1) Using HeidiSQL, login to your database using "localhost" as the hostname and what ever username/password you set up while installing the MySQL database.

2) Right Click on "Local Server" (Near top left of screen), navigate to "Create New" and click on "Database". Name your database "dayz_epoch" and use collation "utf8_general_ci". Close HeidiSQL

3) In the "Epoch Server Files\SQL" double click on "epoch.sql". Providing you have set up HeidiSQL correctly this will now launch, connect to your database and select your database. Then click the blue play button in the tool bar. After it has finished it may show you a couple of errors, this is normal. 

[Configuring the server]

1) Inside the folder you created back in step 1 of creating the server, open the "instance_11_Chernarus" folder and edit "HiveExt.ini". Most of the information in here should be correct already, but you will have to change the database username & password to match what you set yours to.

2) In the same folder as step 1, edit the "config.cfg" file to change your server name, give it a password etc.

[Running the server]

1) Inside the folder you created back in step 1 of creating the server, double click on "DayZ_Epoch_instance_11_Chernarus.bat"

"9) Copy the .dll files from the Epoch Server Files to the folder created in step 1"

did i take the wrong server files? I dont find any *.dll file in the github download.

Additional i did everything as you wrote in your tutorial ... there is still no mission loaded after starting the server, any ideas?

Thanks for the guide, it made things pretty quick when the drive in my own server failed.

A couple of notes on installing to a dedicated server (bare metal or VM).

• Server OSs do not usually come with DirectX installed so this will also need to be installed.
  • Battleye client install will need to be run for both ArmA 2 and OA.
  • Extracting the Epoch_server_files archive directly in to the EpochServer directory (the one created in step 1) puts the keys, dlls etc all in the right place.  You then just have to copy the map folder and bat file to the EpochServer directory and edit the server map dir / config files and you are good to go.

It is also best practice to add a dedicated MySQL localhost account with only access to the dayz_epoch schema.  If someone gets access to your server, they can only affect that schema if they dig the login info out of the config files. 

RB

3) When step 2 has completed, copy all files excluding any folder that starts with a "@" to the folder you created in step 1. When prompted, click overwrite all files.

What files are you talking about here? Since at step 2 you copy all the Arma2 files into 'Dayz Epoch Server'-folder :S Little confused here. And what about the Arma 2 OA files?

Cause when I click the .bat is says it can't find \Expansion\beta\arma2oaserver.exe (Not even when I merge Arma 2 OA files with the Arma 2 files INSIDE the Dayz Epoch Server-folder)

What files are you talking about here? Since at step 2 you copy all the Arma2 files into 'Dayz Epoch Server'-folder :S Little confused here. And what about the Arma 2 OA files?

Cause when I click the .bat is says it can't find \Expansion\beta\arma2oaserver.exe (Not even when I merge Arma 2 OA files with the Arma 2 files INSIDE the Dayz Epoch Server-folder)

Sorry my bad, i forgot to put part of the step in lol. Have updated the post to fix this

With this i finally got my test server up and running! Thanks so much! It will be nice to actually test and implement things without downtime now :)

Quick Question: My test machine does not have an arma2.cfg with those min/max values. Do I create that from scratch? If so, where do i put it?

Worked great! Thanks :D But one last question; whenever I adjust something in the server PBO (Dayz Epoch Server -> @DayZ_Epoch_Server -> addons) it will stop me from joining in; if I use default it's fine. Or do I have to adjust the server pbo somewhere else?

Many thanks for this one, Just setup my first local development server on XP.

Its a bit of a squeeze and I had to ferkle mySQL so it didn't grab 450mb of memory whilst idle

Editing C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.6\my.ini

I dropped table_definition_cache=1400 down to table_definition_cache=400

This leaves the MySql service drawing just 70mb. 

note if you use the portable version of Heidisql you will have to change the .sql file association manually to follow the above instructions.