Re-Worked WAI 0.173 - Supported System

@DaVIdoSS: I never fully understood what the customspawn was for, since i didnt use it i decided to remove it alltogether. If you want i can re-add it though :)

f3cuk, yes custom spawn in important for admins who want to configure AI to spawn at set areas on the map independent of missions.

So, if making an AI city or turning Skalisty into an AI zone, you can set up different types of AI (heli, heli para, groups & vehicles) to spawn there independently of missions.

I have some Errors in rpt that caused no starting missions i think.  Version before has worked. Now armed vehicle should spawn, but there are some error messages, and the mission doesn`t appear. in other threads they talk about this and they wrote that these are standarderrors with 112555 and they doesn`t effect any issues. My Server is on epoch 1.0.5.1 and arma 125548, and this error seems take effect.

15:15:53 "WAI: Starting mission armed_vehicle"
15:15:53 "WAI: Mission Armed Vehicle Started At [12604.4,12287.2]"
15:15:53 "WAI: Mission Armed Vehicle spawned a HMMWV GPK (M2) AL"
15:15:53 Error in expression <ret = _this select _ret;           
};

_ret;>
15:15:53   Error position: <_ret;>
15:15:53   Error Undefined variable in expression: _ret
15:15:53 File z\addons\dayz_code\compile\BIS_fnc\fn_selectRandom.sqf, line 24
15:15:53 Error in expression < call BIS_fnc_selectRandom;
_weapon         = _weaponandmag select 0;
_magazine         = _w>
15:15:53   Error position: <_weaponandmag select 0;
_magazine         = _w>
15:15:53   Error Undefined variable in expression: _weaponandmag
15:15:53 File z\addons\dayz_server\WAI\compile\spawn_group.sqf, line 38
15:15:53 Error in expression <;
removeAllItems _unit;
_unit addweapon _weapon;

for "_i" from 1 to _mags do {
>
15:15:53   Error position: <_weapon;

>
15:15:53   Error to: Undefined variable in expression: _weapon
15:15:53 File z\addons\dayz_server\WAI\compile\spawn_group.sqf, line 77

Any fix for this ?

Update

So i did quite a bit of work on this yesterday. I've started using proper version control and have decided to continue enhancing it. I'll try to get in contact with the original author to get his approval so that we can use the original name and possibly start a new topic. I'm not the most creative of minds so if you got any ideas on what would be cool to add, please let me know.

Changelog

1.9.x

• Added possibility to blacklist certain area's (default left, top and stary are blacklisted, check heatmap below for results);
  • Overhaul making missions more dynamic;
  • Equipped more missions with dynamic loot;
  • Updated the dynamic loot arrays with more items;
  • Fixed armed military mission with M2 spawning inside eachoter;
  • Fixed crashed blackhawk with loot crate spawning inside helicopter;
  • Added difficulty levels to mission titles;
  • Re-added custom spawns as per request;
  • General code cleanup including removal of unused private vars;
  • Fixed spawn_group.sqf generating errors.

1.8.x

• Customized loot;
  • Tried to nerve the 50 cals a bit, making them less accurate;
  • Improved weapons (removed all the non-sellable);
  • Improved vehicles;
  • Changed skill settings;
  • Randomized clothes;
  • Fixed some missions;
  • Removed the C130 mission cause i cant seem to fix the glitching;
  • Removed EMS cache cause its the same as Weapon cache;
  • Dynamic loot on Weapon cache missions;
  • Fixed the heli para backpack issue;
  • Fixed the heli para spawning in after the mission has already been done.

Mission heatmap

As you can see from the below image the blacklisting is working properly. No missions spawn on either the left, top or area near stary. Missions spawn all over the map where the ground is not too steep and there is actually some open area to spawn in.

v7fn1k.jpg

Download

I dont know if it is possible but i know some sort of inside mission would be amazing! Ive tried to make this happen and cant seem to get it to work and just get really annoyed with it! 

Nice work though you two!

Ai in ArmA 2 are pretty dumb, they don't do buildings well without extra addons and scripts.

I know this may be way out there and maybe require a whole rework of the system, I don't know.

Hero and Bandit missions. So as it is now all missions have bandits and you gain humanity for them. What about some missions that if you do them you lose humanity, like a group of survivors have purchased a vehicle and you have the option to go and try and steal it from them. But if you do you lose humanity, it just gives some options to those trying to be a bandit.

Like maybe if you could set the humanity gain or loss per mission rather than a global setting.

I have some Errors in rpt that caused no starting missions i think.  Version before has worked. Now armed vehicle should spawn, but there are some error messages, and the mission doesn`t appear. in other threads they talk about this and they wrote that these are standarderrors with 112555 and they doesn`t effect any issues. My Server is on epoch 1.0.5.1 and arma 125548, and this error seems take effect.

15:15:53 "WAI: Starting mission armed_vehicle"

15:15:53 "WAI: Mission Armed Vehicle Started At [12604.4,12287.2]"

15:15:53 "WAI: Mission Armed Vehicle spawned a HMMWV GPK (M2) AL"

15:15:53 Error in expression <ret = _this select _ret;           

};

_ret;>

15:15:53   Error position: <_ret;>

15:15:53   Error Undefined variable in expression: _ret

15:15:53 File z\addons\dayz_code\compile\BIS_fnc\fn_selectRandom.sqf, line 24

15:15:53 Error in expression < call BIS_fnc_selectRandom;

_weapon         = _weaponandmag select 0;

_magazine         = _w>

15:15:53   Error position: <_weaponandmag select 0;

_magazine         = _w>

15:15:53   Error Undefined variable in expression: _weaponandmag

15:15:53 File z\addons\dayz_server\WAI\compile\spawn_group.sqf, line 38

15:15:53 Error in expression <;

removeAllItems _unit;

_unit addweapon _weapon;

>

15:15:53   Error position: <_weapon;

>

15:15:53   Error to: Undefined variable in expression: _weapon

15:15:53 File z\addons\dayz_server\WAI\compile\spawn_group.sqf, line 77

Any fix for this ?

Anyone?

I know this may be way out there and maybe require a whole rework of the system, I don't know.

Hero and Bandit missions. So as it is now all missions have bandits and you gain humanity for them. What about some missions that if you do them you lose humanity, like a group of survivors have purchased a vehicle and you have the option to go and try and steal it from them. But if you do you lose humanity, it just gives some options to those trying to be a bandit.

Like maybe if you could set the humanity gain or loss per mission rather than a global setting.

I have actually seen this been done before. I will look into the possibility of adding it, think is should be able to make that work.

Medical Supply Camp mission calls Large_Gun_Box rather than Medical_Supply_Box, just thought you might want to correct that in the next release.

Otherwise looking really good, thanks!

Thanks have updated this.

--

@edhunter: You could simply use the version i've been working on OR look at the changes i've made to that file.

Still getting a lot of this.

9:34:36 File z\addons\dayz_server\WAI\compile\heli_patrol.sqf, line 42
19:34:36 Error in expression <_skill]} forEach _skillarray;
{_gunner2 setSkill [_x,_skill]} forEach _skillarra>
19:34:36   Error position: <setSkill [_x,_skill]} forEach _skillarra>
19:34:36   Error Type String, expected Number

Is there a problem with using "Random" for the skills of vehicles?

Could you check which mission is above that?

Edit: Ah these are from the custom spawns right? I haven't actually looked into those files as i didnt need them myself. Could you give me your custom_spawns.sqf so i can check?

Edit 2: Looking at the file -> It does'nt support a Random skill. However i could change that. You want a random skill between 0.1 and 1 when using "Random"?

Edit: Ah these are from the custom spawns right? I haven't actually looked into those files as i didnt need them myself. Could you give me your custom_spawns.sqf so i can check?

Edit 2: Looking at the file -> It does'nt support a Random skill. However i could change that. You want a random skill between 0.1 and 1 when using "Random"?

Yeah they are, thanks for looking into it for me.

http://pastebin.com/HfVMsSJL

I'd like it to use the same random array the missions use please.

f3cuk, this is excellent work and certainly sorts out the problems with the old system and improves it.

Meowzers, great work on the respawning heli, f3cuk are you going to add that into your version?

I think you should definitely go for your own [RELEASE] thread as I know people have tried to contact both the authors of WAI before with no luck, including me. So, I can't see why they would or should be bothered.....

If you want to take this to the next level I think we should add a few more things:

1/ AI config to toggle 'Use NVG's' - True / false and with the option to remove on death - I know this can be done by editing the ai spawn and killed files but thought it would be nice to have a switch in ai config. Same for RPG's below.

2/ AI config to toggle 'Use RPG's - True / false and option to remove on death. If you use RPG7V then it gives the admin the option to equip with either PG7VR or PG7VL. R being super tough one hit, vehicle down and if I'm right with L (as I don't use them) then I think they will just disable the vehicle in one hit.

3/ Nerfing 50 cal - could this be either switchable or just done by skill arrays as I like to keep mine hot! :) 

4/ Some additional config to control the rate over the random items added to the dynamic box. It would be great if you could break the items and tools in further different arrays and then have some control over the random number e.g.

ammo_box_items = ["FoodNutmix","FoodPistachio","FoodMRE"]

ammo_box_items1 = ["PartFueltank","PartGeneric","PartGlass"]

ammo_box_items2 = ["CinderBlocks","ItemCanvas",""]

and then the ability to control the min/max amount of these items at each array like:

ammo_box_items = 5-15

ammo_box_items1 = 0-5

ammo_box_items2 = 10-80

But still keeping which items are picked inside those arrays random. So sometimes, for items 2 there will be cinderblocks and sometimes there will be canvas and sometimes both. (I know irl those arrays would have many more items in, my example above is just to get the random control idea above across..)

Then if you could somehow configure for super rare items to be picked and sometimes added to the dynamic box and also have multiple arrays for those e.g.:

Rare items = ["ItemComboLock","Chainsaw"]

Rare items1 = ["M107_DZ","whatever the ammo is called..."]

Rare items chance = 0.05 (being 5%)

Rare items1 chance = 0.01 (1%)

I think this will keep players interested in the missions as admins can make the payout much more chance related and leave admins less work messing around with the missions to freshen them up all the time. At the moment in WAI 0.173 I can't use the dynamic box as it doesn't give me enough config options and that means I have to use the fixed boxes and just keep changing the contents all the time to keep the missions fresh.

Let me know what you think but, these are my thoughts for improvement having been a heavy user of the old system.

Thanks! :)

In the old system, if using random, it would then pick from the list of skill arrays so if you had aiskill0, 1, 2, 3, 4 with different arrays for each, it would randomly pick one of those arrays. Otherwise, when not using random, you would just type the number instead in skill in custom spawn to pick that array.

Yeah they are, thanks for looking into it for me.

http://pastebin.com/HfVMsSJL

I'd like it to use the same random array the missions use please.

Updated the files on github, but am not able to test them right now. Could you check if it works?

--

In the old system, if using random, it would then pick from the list of skill arrays so if you had aiskill0, 1, 2, 3, 4 with different arrays for each, it would randomly pick one of those arrays. Otherwise, when not using random, you would just type the number instead in skill in custom spawn to pick that array.

Yeah that part works for spawning groups. Not for vehicle or heli patrols. I changed the files to include a Random skill level. What it does is select a random number between 0.1 and 1 and set that skill for each of the subskills.

f3cuk, this is excellent work and certainly sorts out the problems with the old system and improves it.

Meowzers, great work on the respawning heli, f3cuk are you going to add that into your version?

I think you should definitely go for your own [RELEASE] thread as I know people have tried to contact both the authors of WAI before with no luck, including me. So, I can't see why they would or should be bothered.....

If you want to take this to the next level I think we should add a few more things:

1/ AI config to toggle 'Use NVG's' - True / false and with the option to remove on death - I know this can be done by editing the ai spawn and killed files but thought it would be nice to have a switch in ai config. Same for RPG's below.

2/ AI config to toggle 'Use RPG's - True / false and option to remove on death. If you use RPG7V then it gives the admin the option to equip with either PG7VR or PG7VL. R being super tough one hit, vehicle down and if I'm right with L (as I don't use them) then I think they will just disable the vehicle in one hit.

3/ Nerfing 50 cal - could this be either switchable or just done by skill arrays as I like to keep mine hot! :) 

4/ Some additional config to control the rate over the random items added to the dynamic box. It would be great if you could break the items and tools in further different arrays and then have some control over the random number e.g.

ammo_box_items = ["FoodNutmix","FoodPistachio","FoodMRE"]

ammo_box_items1 = ["PartFueltank","PartGeneric","PartGlass"]

ammo_box_items2 = ["CinderBlocks","ItemCanvas",""]

and then the ability to control the min/max amount of these items at each array like:

ammo_box_items = 5-15

ammo_box_items1 = 0-5

ammo_box_items2 = 10-80

But still keeping which items are picked inside those arrays random. So sometimes, for items 2 there will be cinderblocks and sometimes there will be canvas and sometimes both. (I know irl those arrays would have many more items in, my example above is just to get the random control idea above across..)

Then if you could somehow configure for super rare items to be picked and sometimes added to the dynamic box and also have multiple arrays for those e.g.:

Rare items = ["ItemComboLock","Chainsaw"]

Rare items1 = ["M107_DZ","whatever the ammo is called..."]

Rare items chance = 0.05 (being 5%)

Rare items1 chance = 0.01 (1%)

I think this will keep players interested in the missions as admins can make the payout much more chance related and leave admins less work messing around with the missions to freshen them up all the time. At the moment in WAI 0.173 I can't use the dynamic box as it doesn't give me enough config options and that means I have to use the fixed boxes and just keep changing the contents all the time to keep the missions fresh.

Let me know what you think but, these are my thoughts for improvement having been a heavy user of the old system.

Thanks! :)

Wow thanks for taking the time to really look into it.

1. I like the NVG and making them optional (or maybe even check if it's night and add them if true). Will add in a feature release;
  2. I'll look into optionally adding the RPG's. I was thinking of spawning tank traps around major missions to prevent the vehicle abuse, but an option to use RPG is not half bad :P
  3. The nerfing of 50 cals has been done by changing the static skill array, you can easily revert this to suit your needs;
  4. Nice one. This is definately something that we should do. When i was adding stuff to the dynamic item array i was already thinking of splitting it up in Food / Clothes / Medical / Building / etc. so the Ural mission could be made more dynamic in terms of "Bandits have destroyed a _type Ural and are securing the loot, go ambush them and make it yours!".

Updated the files on github, but am not able to test them right now. Could you check if it works?

--

Yeah that part works for spawning groups. Not for vehicle or heli patrols. I changed the files to include a Random skill level. What it does is select a random number between 0.1 and 1 and set that skill for each of the subskills.

I understand that is how some of the old settings worked in custom spawn but, I think it could be a lot better to normalise all the spawn types into working one way.....

e.g. if i have 3 arrays with the difficulty ranging from no. 1 = 72%, no.2 = 80% & no. 3 = 94%, I would prefer that the helis and vehicles etc would follow the same route so, that i could set random and get one of those settings above or, just key in 1, 2, 3 and fix it to that skill array same as spawn group.

I'm not sure I'm keen on the 10% to 100% fixed idea for random unless I suppose I then went to that variable and manually changed the random select to 0.72 and 0.94....but, I'm worried with new admins adding the system about the added complication. Especially when you already have random skill arrays that they can call from....

I think you're sat on top of an opportunity here to finally fix and normalise the skill system in WAI which has been tricky to get right before....

I understand that is how some of the old settings worked in custom spawn but, I think it could be a lot better to normalise all the spawn types into working one way.....

e.g. if i have 3 arrays with the difficulty ranging from no. 1 = 72%, no.2 = 80% & no. 3 = 94%, I would prefer that the helis and vehicles etc would follow the same route so, that i could set random and get one of those settings above or, just key in 1, 2, 3 and fix it to that skill array same as spawn group.

I'm not sure I'm keen on the 10% to 100% fixed idea for random unless I suppose I then went to that variable and manually changed the random select to 0.72 and 0.94....but, I'm worried with new admins adding the system about the added complication. Especially when you already have random skill arrays that they can call from....

I think you're sat on top of an opportunity here to finally fix and normalise the skill system in WAI which has been tricky to get right before....

Hmm that would fit the new (which i already added) skillsets already in place. I added 4 types (easy, medium, hard, extreme). On selecting "Random" I think easy and extreme should have difference percentage of chance, so i'll change it to something like this: (which can easily be customized by adjusting the ai_skill_random var).

• Easy 10%
  • Medium 40%
  • Hard 40%
  • Extreme 10%

This will allow admins to define their own settings for each of those skillsets.

--

I think you are right about the opportunity we have. Think we just aswell could get rid of the different ways of using the skills and normalize this throughout the different files.

Wow thanks for taking the time to really look into it.

1. I like the NVG and making them optional (or maybe even check if it's night and add them if true). Will add in a feature release;
  2. I'll look into optionally adding the RPG's. I was thinking of spawning tank traps around major missions to prevent the vehicle abuse, but an option to use RPG is not half bad :P
  3. The nerfing of 50 cals has been done by changing the static skill array, you can easily revert this to suit your needs;
  4. Nice one. This is definately something that we should do. When i was adding stuff to the dynamic item array i was already thinking of splitting it up in Food / Clothes / Medical / Building / etc. so the Ural mission could be made more dynamic in terms of "Bandits have destroyed a _type Ural and are securing the loot, go ambush them and make it yours!".

This is an awesome idea, I've kind of done that by creating more random gear arrays and adding the item I wanted to be a rare spawn to only one of them, but I'd prefer if I could set some rare spawn items with a very low chance to spawn.

I would like to see the whole system standardised, it also allows admins to customise it more easily and make other little missions to add in.

Update

Started with the normalization / standardisation of WAI.

Changelog

• Normalized the use of Random throughout, when you want something random, use "Random" and not "Random" or ""
  • Implemented custom_ai_skill throughout. In the future use either "easy", "medium", "hard", "extreme" or "Random" to define a skillset. Numeric skillsets will fallback on "Random"
  • Added IsServer checks on all files that could possibly be used in a harmfull matter (will probably roll this out on more files)
  • Updated the custom_spawns.sqf file with some new descriptions
  • Updated the missions to make proper use of "Random"
  • Updated weapon array names
  • Update heli and vehicle patrol with possibility of random skill

Download