Plot Poles see 0 Building Objects. Bases are expiring and disappearing.

mjrhzrd

Question

I'm copying this from another thread. From Dec 19th :

We ran into a problem where players like myself are putting up  plot poles  in their bases.  The maintain area preview states something like   "0 building objects  found   Two 10 once gold to maintain."  and that is in the middle of a building that once stated 65 objects found, 1 briefcase to maintain over 1.5 week ago.  It seems that the 1031 patch broke it.          I  fed it the two 10 oncers  3 days ago and now the entire  bottom two floors of a once awesome base are now gone.  And  only 21 days after the last time I maintained these same walls with  lumber/plywood/ mortar.      I even took down the plot pole and bought a new one this morning and it still does not see any building objects  yet it is inside a 4 story building...

Other players  walked right in  took anything of value and burned the rest of what they could not take until they ran out of jerry cans.

Update from today...

Almost alll bases  have timed out and disappeared.    Most players have left our server  because of it.   Any Devs  got an ideas?       My 4 story is completely gone  sans the safes and a couple tents in mid air.  Pretty damn sad.

This was broken by the 1031 patch it seems.

17 answers to this question

Epoch 1.0.3.1 is not broken, your server is and it seems you don't know how to use the maintain feature.

Sorry that all your bases disappeared but the area maintain feature was changed with Epoch 1.0.3.1 so that it works like the manual maintain of single objects, so it only maintains damaged parts (parts who needs maintenance, so you don't have to maintain everything in range of the plot pole but only parts who actually need maintenance, that is why it may say "0 objects")

there are daily MySQL events to set damage to base parts to enable the maintain options, seems like you do not use these so bases disappear!?

from the wiki: http://epochmod.com/wiki/index.php?title=Server_Installation_Instructions_Extended

Sets minor damage to walls so the game can identify when a maintain option should be available. It it recommended to have this set to half of your CleanupPlacedAfterDays value. The default is 6 days so "INTERVAL 3 DAY" should be used as shown below.

DROP EVENT IF EXISTS setDamageOnAge; CREATE EVENT setDamageOnAge
ON SCHEDULE EVERY 1 DAY
COMMENT 'This sets damage on a wall so that it can be maintained'
DO
UPDATE `object_data` SET `Damage`=0.1 WHERE `ObjectUID` <> 0 AND `CharacterID` <> 0 AND `Datestamp` < DATE_SUB(CURRENT_TIMESTAMP, INTERVAL 3 DAY) AND ( (`Inventory` IS NULL) OR (`Inventory` = '[]') )

that is what you might need?

Axe, the problem is your code and the SQL routine don't work together.

Your code is looking for a damage greater than 0.1 and the SQL only sets the damage to 0.1 so the plot pole will never see the object as needing maintenance.

Either your code needs changed to be >= 0.1 or the SQL routine needs to set the damage to 0.11 or higher.

I just tweaked my SQL code to set the damage to 0.2 and it's fine.

UPDATE `object_data` SET `Damage`= 0.2 WHERE `ObjectUID` <> 0 AND `CharacterID` <> 0 AND `Datestamp` < DATE_SUB(CURRENT_TIMESTAMP, INTERVAL 10 DAY) AND ( (`Inventory` IS NULL) OR (`Inventory` = '[]') );

After the application of 1.0.3.1,   not once did the plot poles  see any building parts needing maintenance (from the damage)  and therefore they simply expire?     I'm not trolling,  this is what happened on the server.  Not all variables considers it seems.

Axe, the problem is your code and the SQL routine don't work together.

Your code is looking for a damage greater than 0.1 and the SQL only sets the damage to 0.1 so the plot pole will never see the object as needing maintenance.

Either your code needs changed to be >= 0.1 or the SQL routine needs to set the damage to 0.11 or higher.

I just tweaked my SQL code to set the damage to 0.2 and it's fine.

UPDATE `object_data` SET `Damage`= 0.2 WHERE `ObjectUID` <> 0 AND `CharacterID` <> 0 AND `Datestamp` < DATE_SUB(CURRENT_TIMESTAMP, INTERVAL 10 DAY) AND ( (`Inventory` IS NULL) OR (`Inventory` = '[]') );

This damage is set to happen daily no?  Well every 3 days anyway.  If it applies 0.1 damage each time it runs, would there not be 0.2 damage on day 2 and so on?  If so, why would 0.1 not work?

SQL doesn't work that way, it's not an addition, it's just a static value. It won't run every 3 days and "add" 0.1 + 0.1, it will always set the damage to 0.1.

So what you need to do is change the routine to set the damage to 0.11 or higher, like 0.2 which is what I do.

I didn't add the part with the damage filter to the maintain area code, but looking at the code it should work with 0.1 damage because it checks for >= 0.1 so i dont knwo what you are talking about? :D

if (damage _x >= 0.1) then {

https://github.com/vbawol/DayZ-Epoch/blob/master/SQF/dayz_code/actions/maintain_area.sqf#L20 (and that is in there since 1.0.3.1 and wasn't changed lately)?

Tja you are right Axe, that is what I saw in the code couple weeks ago, but did not worked with 0.1 damage for sure, I changed it to 0.2 damage and then it worked, posted this I guess 8 weeks ago.

I don't want to go into much technical details but there might be problem with floating point arithmetic as computers represent numbers like .0.1. 

in short the number 0.1 can most likely be not exactely represented by the computer and more like 0.09999999999 or whatever which is close enough for most things but not for a comparison like this. :/

just saying this might be the problem, so better use a value slightly higher like 0.11 or 0.2 or whatever with the MySQL event to be safe :D