I broke it (Dedicated server no longer connects to hive)

Darce

Question

I run a dedicated server on my machine for testing purposes.  An issue I have been having is that Steam doesn't let me start the server and then the game, so I was trying to sort that out.

After several days of searching for answers, it seemed like the steamcmd line was going to work - I could start the server first and then the game, but the server was failing the Battleye initialisation.

Fed up, I decided to shoot some zombies and followed the old routine of starting A2OAfirst, then the server.

Server now hangs on Authentication as it fails to connect to the hive.  I'm getting the following in the console (No lovely green hive read/writes at all);

15:41:17 XXXX uses modified data file
15:41:17 Player XXXX connecting.
15:41:18 Mission DayZ Epoch Panthera read from directory.
15:41:20 Player XXXX connected (id=yadayada).
15:41:26 Roles assigned.
15:41:26 Reading mission ...
15:41:39 Mission read.
15:42:04 Game started.

and in the server report;

15:41:57 Error in expression <erver_hiveReadWrite;
_outcome = _result select 0;
if (_outcome == "PASS") then {>
15:41:57   Error position: <select 0;
if (_outcome == "PASS") then {>
15:41:57   Error select: Type String, expected Array,Config entry
15:41:57 File z\addons\dayz_server\system\server_monitor.sqf, line 23

Driving me crazy.  I've reinstalled the server, database, all the c++ redistributables - all the usual stuff

Any ideas what else I can try?

7 answers to this question

Cheers Mig, saw that post.  In my case, the server was working this morning.  I only started mucking around with it because I couldn't restart Arma once the server was running.  Game froze and I had to reboot, which dumped the server and the guys playing on it (testing *cough* ).  Uncool.

See, I found that if you try to start Epoch using Dayzlauncher, after the server is running,  simply drops from Steam back to the server console.  Turns out that Steam sees A2OA is already running and stops.  Starting Epoch first and then the server is fine.  When I first started writing stuff for Dayz, a few years back, this didn't happen.

So I tried using the steamApp ID to launch the server using a desktop shortcut from Steam, but it fails the Battleye initialization every time.

steam://rungameid/33935 -port=2302 "-config=D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead\PantheraServer\panthera.cfg" "-cfg=D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead\PantheraServer\basic.cfg" "-profiles=D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead\PantheraServer" -name=server "-mod=@DayZEpochPanthera;@DayzOverwatch;@DayZ_Epoch;@DayZ_Epoch_Server;"

I could still start the server using the standard batch file, just not before launching the game.  This is fine when I am simply test running scripts but not when people are on the server. "Sorry guys, game's crashed I need to restart everything" followed by the inevitable  "Can ya wait a couple (40) minutes while I finish this mission and put everything in my safe".

Then I went down the rabbit hole of using the SteamCMD process, with no joy as I couldn't get the server to start with BE using the appID.

I tried a heap of other stuff as well, with no joy, and eventually gave up.  I needed a fix so launched the game, started the server and discovered I'd broken it .  [very sad face]

As soon as the server tries starting the hive it reports the error above.

So now I've just finished uninstalling all the runtime libraries before rebooting and reinstalling and I'm typing this while I wait for Arma 2 to install from Steam.  I should have A2OA and the Beta installed sometime tomorrow evening and I'll start again.

On 9/21/2018 at 1:35 PM, Ghostrider-GRG said:

Just start Arma3Launcher before starting the server. It will stay running if configured appropriately. You can start/stop your server and Arma 3 client any time and come back to restart Arma 3 client at a later time if for some reason it freezes or crashes.

Uhmmm.. You do realize this is Arma 2 Right?