What's happening with this mod?

Havoc302

I've noticed in Australasia that there's literally a total of 5 servers, 3 of those never have populace, ours and DAT have up to 10-15 at peak times. Is the mod dead? Has development all but stalled? Or is the playerbase just moving onto other things?

Even mods like Exile are appearing to get very quiet and Exile is a lot newer. Sadly Altis Life still has pop but that's all annoying squeakers, a few of which have spilled over into my Epoch server only to complain that it's too hard. Has the ARMA community been reduced to a heap of squeakers and the MilSim / Survival crowd gone somewhere else?

Any ideas anyone?

I can't speak for everyone. But people come and go. Depends on what the player is wanting to play. Arma is a rare beast with so many different play styles. But I don't see the Arma being ditched at all. In fact Arma is becoming so much easier for people to make it their game. Especially with Eden, Steam workshop, and the mod/server integration it will be easier for the average gamer to play. But I can tell you as far as Epoch is concerned. It's going to be around.  And I'm going to quote Awol, (Hope you don't mind Awol)

"X,Y,Z mod doesn't matter to me in the long run I'm still all in to take the Epoch gamemode to feature complete and make the custom map and other goodies for 0.6-1.0. Doing anything worth while takes time"

Support these guys.

There are only 3-4 high pop servers (which reach their full, or close to full capacity during the day). And it has been like that for at least 6 months, so it isn't like something which came out of the nowhere. Nobody knows why, people play different games I guess. There are still too many servers, thankfully majority of them are dead which brings playerbase of this specific game closer together but that's only from my perspective.

For instance, Japan has 2 maybe 3 servers (which I found on server list) yet only one is populated, so obviously there is demand only for one server. Same with Australia. Certain countries will have certain amount of players, Europe and US has bigger pops. Arma 3 is pretty old game (actually nowadays games get old after 3 months, thanks to modern developing and marketing and god knows what else.)

Take obscure game and make an even more obscure mod - where is everybody? :D It's just a game, lol. Also there are tons of mods too, some like Exile, some Breaking Point, some still play BR. Though majority of people probably standing in circles and talking to each other on Altis Life servers.

P.S. oh and we also got new mod on horizon called Desolation. Will withhold my judgement about it :D

17 minutes ago, Robio said:

Desolation?? Not new at all. Played it a year ago.  http://makearmanotwar.com/entry/8lyGi7iUoG  And with the latest one everyone is streaming/playing...Look in the mod folder.  Ohh, you can't download on the workshop!! You have to jump through hoops to play it. Sorry my sarcasm is 40 years old.

Wow really? Had no idea it was that old. Then why everyone keeps saying it is "new"? I admit, I learned about it only from Twitch, though I heard that there were some obscure A2 DayZ ports already, which again, required to jump through tons of hoops as if you were getting business license from a government lol. Heard rumours they just changed the name as they couldn't use DayZero for IP reasons? And this is the problem with most people doing creative work and it annoys me into madness. However I never liked the idea of workshop too much. It is just not enough to make your work visible. It is necessary, I suppose, but not enough. Advertising your product should always be a priority.

One of the reasons I do not play Breaking Point is that it requires 13 GB to download. Like Arma 3 twice. And I heard Desolation takes up similar amount of space too.