Suggestion: Add keypad locks as an upgrade one can purchase for vehicles

Ghostrider-GRG

The lock system used for Epoch 0.2-0.36 poses one major limitation, which is that a random player can run around the map locking vehicles to reserve them for some later time, that vehicles are easily stolen, and that there is no permenant link between a player and vehicle.

My suggested solution is to add a key pad that could be attached to vehicles as a means to gain permanent ownership of specific vehicles, which is more robust than the key system used for Dayz_Epoch in that the code is harder to loose and easier to 'clone'. If such a modification is in the works, then cudo's and I hope it will be released soon.

Best,

Ghost

The server I play on (MGT) has the vehicle lock set to 30 minutes.

This is a good amount of time as it means if you leave it someone else can come and take it 30 minutes later, you need to build a good base if you want to keep vehicles for a long time.  

5 hours ago, TheStainlessSteelRat said:

This has always been an issue and it is why some servers do limit the length of time a player can lock a vehicle to less than the server restart cycle.

Thanks, we have tried to find a comprimise as well and currently use 48 hours. There is plenty of abuse of locking going on but at least our regulars have a chance to hang on to a vehicle while they build their palatial garage.

5 hours ago, FiddyB said:
5 hours ago, FiddyB said:

The server I play on (MGT) has the vehicle lock set to 30 minutes.

This is a good amount of time as it means if you leave it someone else can come and take it 30 minutes later, you need to build a good base if you want to keep vehicles for a long time.  

These are all good points and I am aware of each of them. I was simply saying that I thought Epoch would be a richer game if a more robust lock system was introduced.

2 hours ago, Ghostrider-DbD- said:

These are all good points and I am aware of each of them. I was simply saying that I thought Epoch would be a richer game if a more robust lock system was introduced.

Of course, hope my comment did not undercut the legitimacy of your lock suggestion! Lets hope the Epoch gods are listening and able to grant Christmas wishes?

10 hours ago, Ghostrider-DbD- said:

Thanks, we have tried to find a comprimise as well and currently use 48 hours. There is plenty of abuse of locking going on but at least our regulars have a chance to hang on to a vehicle while they build their palatial garage.

I would advice regular to not keep any vehicles until they built a garage or helipad for it :) Less hassle this way.

On the locks, I am not sure. Having them in would be another "too forgiving" feature for Epoch. If they could only be bought from a trader for like 2000 krypto and could be installed only 2 times per player, then maybe it would work.

Another feature someone else suggested, making vehicles "permanently" locked if they are around the frequency jammer which makes much more sense this way. If vehicle in the wild, then battery will allow to lock it for only 30 min for example. If it is in your base in jammer radius, you can lock it for 7 days or whatever. Sure, someone can blow them up or hook lift it, but it would be much more rational this way, in my opinion.

So I would vote for jammer lock feature myself. And of course there should be a strict limit how many vehicles can be locked this way around jammer. 2 vehicles per person is more than enough. I am a hoarder myself, but realize, that I can not use them all at once so I do not need that much. :D

Lockable vehicles  with keys in the pipeline, plus chance to make key copies with key maker kit and break a lock with hot wire kit.

Also nice to see the vehicle upgrades  back in document form, hopefully they will work across a variety of vehicles this time round.

As always much to be pleased about for the continued future development of Epoch.

Thanks Devs.

1 hour ago, TheStainlessSteelRat said:

Lockable vehicles  with keys in the pipeline, plus chance to make key copies with key maker kit and break a lock with hot wire kit.

Also nice to see the vehicle upgrades  back in document form, hopefully they will work across a variety of vehicles this time round.

As always much to be pleased about for the continued future development of Epoch.

Thanks Devs.

@Robio - That is wonderful news, and thank you for sharing it! I second everything TheStainlessSteelRat has said above. Thumbs up to the devs for all of their efforts and hard work, and I look forward to upcoming releases for 2016.