Disabling simulation on vehicles and server performance?

Tobias Solem

Question

One of the issues that tanks client as well as server-FPS is lots of vehicles being present on the map, and since there are physics applied to all the vehicles, the issue is compounded for every added vehicle. 

So here's my shot in the dark: What if we would disable simulation on all the vehicles in ARMA3 up until the point they were unlocked? Would that not work?

If that would increase performance, perhaps we could accept the oddities (like vehicles not exploding when being locked, stationary and fired upon for example)?

What did I not think of?

7 answers to this question

Epoch has has a Vehicle simulation handler for a long time now, without it 150+ vehicles would cause client fps drops with even just one player. The problem is that the more players there are the more simulated vehicles as well so eventually you will not be any better off if most of the vehicles are near players.

I'm willing to make some sacrifices in order to gain some performance, yes.  But having locked vehicles be indestructible certainly has the potential to cause all sorts of exploits and player issues.  That's probably one thing that shouldn't be messed with.  Just my 2 cents.

Whatever the solution to this, the exploding vehicles I reckon is a bigger issue. It seems when the simulation is enabled, this causes all manner of exploding vehicles to the point where most of our regular players don't see the point in owning a heli when they just randomly expire for no reason. I haven't seen any major fps issues with 170 vehicles, but then again, my server is rarely, if ever, above 20 players at a time.