Performance in 1.0.2.5

Hummuluis

Just thought I'd say awesome job guys on the latest build, 1.0.2.5, and the performance changes that came included. Will of course differ between each individual, however I easily noticed a 30 to 40% boost in frames with my rig. Almost creepy how smooth it runs now.. didn't affect a friend as much, but I sure felt the improvements which was greeted with welcomed arms. B)

It's a shame we cant see these improvements with serverload FPS though (a serverside measurement for performance, not frames per second, ignore its stupid name). Im glad it runs great for clients though, the performance is great for client side FPS.

There is something within vanilla epoch, that even on the most powerful dedicated box, will drop the score of 50 (top score on serverload)  to below 15 if more than 50 players are on. Talking with other admins, its the same across the board on all the major populated servers, in some cases it was reported that the score was at 10 and less, some even at 5! I know its apples to oranges, but other servers with different mods that theses admins run, dont have this issue when the server is full. Its majorly noticble on epoch once past 30 players, scripts that loop or calculate time begin to lag (ex. time calculations for 5 minutes may take 7 minutes, a script that uses sleep for say 100 seconds, might take 140 seconds).

Don't know if its the AI vendors, and arma is still processing some kind of AI on them, but I dont think so as each vendor has simulation disabled. Might be something to do with clean ups, or the un-normalized stapos lite DB that epoch uses, but that shouldn't really matter unless records are in the millions.

I hope one day this gets figured out, so that we can have those huge servers with 100 player count like in taki life and wasteland, or like the top vanilla dayz 1.8+ servers with 70 to 80 players. The world feels more of a challenge when you always run into somebody :) but for those who don't like high population servers they need not worry, so long as their player count is not above 30, and they are not on a VM. Servers run really good at 20-30 players.

• 2 weeks later...

I had asked Mad Hatter awhile back about this and he said the server FPS that Vanilla epoch has with that many players is comparable to DayZero servers. I believe he said they are pulling around 8fps with a full server. This is not to say we cannot make the performance better, but that its not out of the ordinary to have low server FPS with that many players. Certain mods like AI and anti-hacks can make the server fps even worse.

Vms are worse because arma likes to use cpu. Recommended specs for vanilla dayz specify a dedicated server.

http://support.dayzmod.com/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=1

I personally think that hard drive access and mysql performance are the next most important issues after cpu.

Try and reduce logging (HDD access) as much as possible. Mysql does start to suffer and sometimes quickly.

Am not convinced that normalisation is key here as I see issues with websites that are extremely well structured.

The issues i have with them is Google spidering them. When an error is generated, during the hammering that Google gives them, it often causes mysql to wig out.. fixing the errors sorts it.

Arma is greedy, errors in the chain is where the issues really hurt performance..