Fog/Sandstorm effect 2.5 update

FFDP

DayZ players never cease to amaze me with their need for 24/7 day light and view distance beyond 1000m.

Learn to fly at night, no nvg's and full fog. Thats what I consider fun in Arma.

... and a 1m view distance.. LOL As if the movement mechanics weren't clumsy enough in ARMA

I dont have any issues with the game mechanics. 

Chances are it'll get removed since so many are complaining about it on the forums. That's a shame too because it means going backwards for the people who do like the effect. 

They'd remove it because it doesn't do anything. It's a few puffs of smoke going by on occasion. It's not mass fog, unless my video settings are preventing me from actually seeing the effect that people are saying is lowering their FPS.

Maybe someone can post video of what they are talking about because other than occasional little smoke puffs, I'm not seeing this game stopping fog that people are bitching about.

• 2 weeks later...

Seriously, how do you turn this sand storm crap off ? NON of my users like it, several of us confuse the sandstorm effects for people shooting at us (its exactly the same dust effect you get when someone snipes from far away and you can't hear the shot, but you see the puff of dust).. Please, just tell me where to turn it off and I'll do it myself.  I was even sneaking up to a bandit base at NE today, no clouds, no wind, full sunshine and yet still dust clouds floating around, how does that even make sense???? 

I dont have any issues with the game mechanics. 

Chances are it'll get removed since so many are complaining about it on the forums. That's a shame too because it means going backwards for the people who do like the effect. 

Not really, all the devs need to do is add an option to turn it off or on.  I don't see why so many mod developers miss this trick.  Imagine a mod that didn't force the developers chosen gameplay down your throat, but instead allowed you to choose between NO AMMO at restart or FULL AMMO , between NO STUPID ASS DUST FOG THINGY and GO ON THEN YOU NUMPTY HAVE IT!! But seriously, I love Epoch and I appreciate the effort that goes into keeping it moving, but I really am starting to tire with the constant changes that don't give the server owner a choice in the matter ... :(

Before on 1.0.2.4 I never noticed this "sand" before...but now I see it constantly....even during rain...which makes no sense since the ground is wet and would never cause dust to spring up unless I was sitting in a desert which I am not.  

Would be nice to just be able to get rid of it...ground fog would be nice if there was any actually....in the morning hours - up to your knee perhaps....but nothing like that in game.

Helo dusting....think its a tad overdone again....now if I was in Baghdad or some other Muslim shantytown then it would be appropriate as they have primarily sand everywhere and it would be appropriate to see so much dusting for a Helo....to see it like that in a grassland field would be ridiculous and again especially so if its raining.  I have had plenty of first hand experience with UH1H, UH60 and MI-8 helos to not see the results the same as in game.

It's bloody annoying, I'm getting increasingly fedup with whisk of dust blowing past my scope, it actually makes my eyes go funny after a while.  All my players say they hate it, which makes me hate it even more.. If someone could just tell us where to turn it off, because to be frank with you I couldn't give a toss whether it decreases, increases or whatevereses it does, I just want it gone.  I feel like a fricking hostage to the sand dust gods right now!!!

Yeah, for about 3 seconds.  Then my nerves couldn't take anymore.

It's in the next release, they're hard coding it in with some weird anti reverse-engineering algorithm. They're adding in tornadoes, tumble weeds, meteorites and whatever else they can find that doesn't fit with Cherno on a lovely summers morning!