Suggestion: Fire Barrel and Shipping Container

A couple suggestions for craftable items. Maybe they can be considered for a future release?

Fire Barrel: Made from several pieces of scrap metal and an empty jerry can. It creates a barrel that can be lit, like the barrels found at traders. Doesn't disappear after a restart like a fireplace (camp fire).

Shipping Container: Like the ones found at some construction sites. Big metal boxes that are seen in ports, big enough to walk in. Holds a large amount of loot. Lockable with a combo lock. Built from several metal panels.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm working on the fire barrel now.  I added the recipe and item but havent gotten around to testing it yet.

The shipping containers IMO are a bit too large or an item to be able to craft...you'd never be able to build that in the post apoc world.

I don't agree. Craft shipping container walls from metal panels and scrap metal. Upgrade shipping container walls to create metal doors. Craft 7 shipping container walls and 1 shipping container door to create a shipping container. Slap a pad lock on that door and you have a large, secure box to hold your stuff.

I'm working on the fire barrel now.  I added the recipe and item but havent gotten around to testing it yet.

The shipping containers IMO are a bit too large or an item to be able to craft...you'd never be able to build that in the post apoc world.

Any update to this? What about making a small stove? Can you tweak how far does the fire effect spread away from it?

• 4 weeks later...

Screw that, we can't even handle string length for a safe without losing items written to the database, forget trying to save 1,000 items! :o

I have the solution, like any proper database just use numeric ID's instead of long strings for every item lol

Nobody knows what the item is by reading the database entries but that is it, faster and less data to be transferred over the network, good luck mapping all items to ID's though :D

An opinon not being yours doesn't make it a bad opinion. It only makes it a different opinion.

Very true, but pointing out that we already have issues with storage on safes which hold 50 guns and 200 items would imply that having a storage device that has 1k items is probably a "bad idea". Then going on further to point out that one of the complaints in the DayZ community(at least one of the valid ones) about Epoch is that there is storage that simply can never be at risk short of being shot at the moment you are accessing it.... again an even larger locked storage container is likely a bad idea. See, people can point out reasons which make sense as to why it might be a bad idea. In return your evidence is that it, "Would look cool." and "Offer more storage." Now I have agreed with the look cool part but again believe that Epoch needs less secure storage and am basing that belief off of comments from numerous people who will not play the mod because of Safes which seem to invalidate death as you can have 2-3 copies of your gear in a single safe and all you need to do is reach it to gear back up. 

See, I don't just spout opinions without having arguments that back them up and are reasoned out and based off logic... most of the time.