So a small question.

MrEnzO

Is it better to put map addons in th mission pbo or in the server pbo. Say that the server have 10 - 15 map addons. Most of the nice scripts Plot4Life, evac chopper, Vector build, and so on. It's like 20 script or so. Script go mission side, that i know,, but map addons you put in both, so wich one is best, mission or server side for them. Should also say that the mission runs WIA, DZAI and EMS. 

Is it better to put map addons in th mission pbo or in the server pbo. Say that the server have 10 - 15 map addons. Most of the nice scripts Plot4Life, evac chopper, Vector build, and so on. It's like 20 script or so. Script go mission side, that i know,, but map addons you put in both, so wich one is best, mission or server side for them. Should also say that the mission runs WIA, DZAI and EMS. 

Got missions?? Lol.  I suggest using the mission.sqf server side. Same place traders are spawned in.

Yes, lol..... it's not my decision.... hehe. I am not coding it.  So you would go server side then.

Yes i would go server side in any case if at all possible. Was just curious bout all of the ai scripts Having 3 systems is quite a heavy load though it isnt uncommon to see.  WAI 2.2.0 Alone can run as many missions hero or bandit as you want / server can handle, as well as static ai and static crates =]

I know its in beta but it runs without error on my servers. Im not a dev of anything like that. Just throwing it out there for you to pass along to your coder since you guys seem curious about server performance hence you asked for recommendation for spawning things in.

I've putting all my custom buildings server side for a long time. I put them in their own folder called mapedits. It prevents users from having to download more and since they are server side, any AI you have will not be able too see through them. If they are put clientside, AI can see through them.

• 3 weeks later...

Most scripts can go mission side, however the AI scripts you listed are server side (you can run DZAI mission side, according to Buttface.)  Sarge AI is installed mission side, though I had never used Sarge.  Most buildings can be called server side to decrease mission download, and deal with the AI issue Dead mentioned, however this really depends on your preferences.  Some addons may run better mission side versus server side, it can vary for each mod, each server (managed or dedi).

If I run more than one AI mission systems (typically 2) along with DAZI, I try not to call too much from the server pbo unless the server can handle it  I just finished up a server that is pretty well loaded on the server side and I'm already seeing AI rubberbanding with 10+ people on. Its hosted through SS.

• 1 month later...

I've putting all my custom buildings server side for a long time. I put them in their own folder called mapedits. It prevents users from having to download more and since they are server side, any AI you have will not be able too see through them. If they are put clientside, AI can see through them.

Thats not entirely true. I got rid of DZAI because they were able to see and shoot through my server side addons.

Most people will tell you server side, but I have never seen any actual evidence that it makes a bit of difference. Ive done both. In the past I always used mission side because thats all I knew.  I did switch to server side but I've never actually noticed any difference. The biggest difference is that anything in the mission folder will be downloaded by every client that joins your server. So if you dont want people to easily steal your work, server side is the way to go.   Also, the larger the client file, the longer it will take clients to join your server. On the flip side, the more you put on the server side, the greater the load on the server.

There are a few reasons to run stuff server side.

1. Makes it so AI can not see through custom buildings.

2. Keeps the mission file download for players low.

3. Stops people from being able to join your server then leave and stealing your code for all your custom buildings, etc.

4. Stops the annoying "double up" of buildings, making all your custom stuff have "double doors" etc

Just my opinion of course, but if you have spent hours in the editor getting custom stuff built for YOUR server, why let someone else just come along and take it?

There are a few reasons to run stuff server side.

1. Makes it so AI can not see through custom buildings.

2. Keeps the mission file download for players low.

3. Stops people from being able to join your server then leave and stealing your code for all your custom buildings, etc.

4. Stops the annoying "double up" of buildings, making all your custom stuff have "double doors" etc

Just my opinion of course, but if you have spent hours in the editor getting custom stuff built for YOUR server, why let someone else just come along and take it?

Welllll I mean I do run things server side so Im not trying to argue against it, but I want to clear some things up.

1. This just isn't entirely true. I've had ai attack and shoot through walls of server side addons.

2. Definitely although by doing so it is less for the server load.

3. It doesn't actually stop them, it just makes it harder. People who know what they're doing can get your Server PBO's relatively easy.

4. True, unless you messed up somewhere.

All and all I like having a smaller mission file for players it's just nicer when they can load in faster so I call them via server_functions.