Too group dependant?

WhatILack

I roll with my clan and have been playing together for around a year now, Epoch is a blast and we are all really enjoying the mod. Loot is easy enough to come by and the PvP keeps you on edge. For a group of our size (Normally around 6 of us on, but likely to be more) getting and repairing vehicles is extremely easy, much like finding base parts when you can hit almost every storage container. 

Now this isn't the problem, I was thinking last night about the difficulty small groups or even solo players will have with the mod. For a large group finding a multi tool and a vehicle repair attachment isn't exactly hard, therefore repairing vehicles is a menial task. Whereas for a group of two players? It could seem an almost impossible task unless they are lucky, likewise with most things found in the mod. Not that there is a problem with playing in groups (The mod is designed around it) but there should be some solo play elements too, all those players alone or in small groups will be having a hell of a hard time.

All in all, in an established group the mod is a little too easy whereas on the other hand maybe a little too hard for smaller groups or solo players. (A solo player hasn't got a hope in hell of building a base, even a 1x1 shack)

Does that not reflect how it would be? A solo survivor would struggle with both resources and sanity more then a small group/society.

But to some point I disagree, when I play solo it´s usually then I find the more valueble things.

Does that not reflect how it would be? A solo survivor would struggle with both resources and sanity more then a small group/society.

But to some point I disagree, when I play solo it´s usually then I find the more valueble things.

Yes but you also have to take into consideration this is designed to be fun to play, realism isn't everything.

That is purely luck, the loot system will not reward solo players any more than groups.

yeh arma has never been kind to the lonewolf , however loot being based on the size of the group is maybe a step too far against them. loot shouldn't be dependant on how many players are in the area but more akin to just plain old luck (or as close to that as can be).

Always though it'd be nice to have a mechanism where the closer a wall was to your plot pole the more protection it had and more damage it could withstand. Although I've not had much chance to try out base building/base raiding in this mod, I found A2 Epoch a punishing experience playing solo, spend all day (literally) chopping logs to make a humble 2x3 base to store a car and got up the next morning to find it trashed as bigger groups could stockpile explosives easily and roam about ganking small bases with impunity.

I didn't mind scavenging solo as you had to be more furtive and it was fun to play that way but base building on your own wasn't a rewarding experience.

I think grouping is a big part of Epoch. Especially since that you can't shoot yourself with your multi-gun and heal yourself. It forces players to trust each other. Which I always thought was important about not having self bloodbag in A2. Everyone is still in the KOS mode from A2 mods. That needs to be broken. It may or may not happen. If they are not a threat, I will not shoot.

As for the loot, it still get divided up between the players. (E.G. 10 items for 1 player. 40 items for 4 players) But you will get a better variety. It would be nice if the loot system spawn higher tier items if you are solo. But it is nice to see them working on a different loot system rather than what A2 had.

my 2 cents as a group of 2 players.... IT SUCKS HARD

What really grinds my gears is the fact that no matter how hard you try the bigger groups look to you as an easy prey and will shoot without provocation and actually taunt you will you're dead waiting for the re-spawn, tbh it has become such an issue for me that both KOS and the loot spawning system favours the large groups as the OP states that I find the MOD not even worth playing.

I can spend 8 hours (and i have done this) looting through EVERY building and finding either things I cannot carry as I don't have a BP / car / chopper then when I do get to a semi decent level after avoiding literally everyone in the game so I don't get KOS so I can start base building some ass hats with snipers pop you in the head and one of their jolly old chums comes running over and take all your stuff whilst taunting you on the ground.

Honestly I am giving this MOD another week if things don;t change I will be waiting till the server files are released and setting up a PVE ONLY server as I am sick to fucking death of testing the respawn function fuck you very much.

Sorry for the swearing but as you can probably make out im rather frustrated atm.

Pry

I must be lucky.. In two solo runs yesterday and today I got a chainsaw, hatchet, 2x survival backpack. multigun with vehicle repair and 2-3 energy clips + much much more. Just loot the towns thuraly and it takes so much time that new loot spawns in.

Altough I´m more prone to killing myself with a grenade, testing a submarine without rebreather or glitching in a stair then players if Im not looking for trouble.

OK so how is a lone wolf meant to interact with the larger groups to join said groups (within game) without being killed? Then taunted and then starting from scratch again. This is not based on real life as I have previously stated if it were the people of the planet would be more interested in survival of the species than stealing your gear and being a dick towards you.

It is the player mentality that is fucking up the MOD not the MOD itself. If you want to go round shooting the shit out of everything that moves go and play wasteland / king of the hill / insert another PVP mission here.

Epoch is meant to be dangerous yes I agree there are always going to be assholes no matter the situation but atm this MOD is just Wasteland with loot and base building added on due to the player mentality.

/rant

Pry

OK so how is a lone wolf meant to interact with the larger groups to join said groups (within game) without being killed? Then taunted and then starting from scratch again. This is not based on real life as I have previously stated if it were the people of the planet would be more interested in survival of the species than stealing your gear and being a dick towards you.

It is the player mentality that is fucking up the MOD not the MOD itself. If you want to go round shooting the shit out of everything that moves go and play wasteland / king of the hill / insert another PVP mission here.

Epoch is meant to be dangerous yes I agree there are always going to be assholes no matter the situation but atm this MOD is just Wasteland with loot and base building added on due to the player mentality.

/rant

Pry

Wait until the new system is in place before you give up ( something like the Humanity is on its way ). We are PVP focused but don´t shoot unarmed unless We feel threatened close to say a Shipping container and similar places, alway´s try to give a warning and let them run in other places but usually they don´t listen.

Since I know nothing about the new system I can´t say much but We will most likely aim for good guy´s if it´s a working system.

Your best option is to stay away from people in game, hard to meet friendly´s now that you don´t know who´s friend or enemy but the system will probably straighten it out.

And don´t take the taunting personal its just kids, Me and my group can kill the same people 3-4 times then they get you once and they start screaming noob and shit.

/rant

Pry

On the contrary. People sniping other from a far and killing each other for food and equipment is exactly what happens in an end of the world scenario. Do a little research and you will find when countries fall and there is no government or control, this is EXACTLY what happens. 

It's the players choice where they want to play.

If you are going to go on a highly populated server which most likely has big groups then expect to be subject to that style of game play.

You are basically doing it to yourself.

Don't like it?  Then go to a lower populated server.  

How can it get any simpler

It's actually suppose to be like this, imagine the situation in real life

A group of 5 people hunting would have a better chance of 1 person hunting to survive.

Depends.  A group of 5 Kardashians are easy prey for 1 well-skilled, sociopathic lone wolf.

I've seen similar things overseas in different combat zones.  Those that hid and stayed away from others somehow survived.  Those that stayed home, died - or worse.

Those that stood their ground and fought back against tanks and snipers in the Balkans also died.  Sometimes they'd just pop out to try to scrounge supplies and get popped to the head and were dead before their bodies hit the ground.

It all depends on a lot of different factors, the least of which is just numbers.  Don't get cocky.

/rant

Pry

this game is mainly KOS if you don't want KOS go play breaking point where all the other fairys have to have the ranger class going

Get active on your community of choice's forum so players get familiar with your name and how you portray yourself. AFter a while asking on radio channel for a team-up will pay dividends. It's just a shame so many communities removed sidechat, as that's the best tool for interacting. And before anyone shouts "unrealistic", just look at your present antagonists and worse still, your future giant one.