ARMA free weekend thoughts.

GasT

Is it a good idea to release the update at this point? they will have the weekend on them to crack the new security instantly.

Quote from Deathly a Dev from a other mod that have closed their whitelistning over the weekend.

"Hackers with unlimited cd keys? that can never be banned for the entire weekend? that can test their hacks until they find a exploit in the mod to break after the weekend is over?"

yeah its a shame that there are people out there that hack, its a disease that I cannot see an end to.  In regards to the OP I've always wondered how the devs could implament something so that the majority of these people are weeded out whilst still allowing a good chunck of the community to play.  I know nothing in this area so will not pretend to, say everyone on this server (survivor or above) (lolz had to pick that because thats what I am) gets a new key/password to a server they play on (official). 

Just wanted to cont to the discussion (bored at work lolz) :P

No Breaking Point and their protection seems superb. Been there 10 months and encountered maybe 2-3 suspicions of hackers during all that time, none of them confirmed but felt like ESP´s which could just be blind luck from the players I encountered.

Whitelistning, the software they are using and good admins goes a long way. They do run a closed ship though and don´t let community´s run servers, which I think is a good thing. Many community´s seem to think everything is ok to get players there in form of unfair perks for donating and by fighting each other to get players by offering more and more. Look past some exploits of some clan´s just to keep them and so on.

Wasteland servers have been horrible many times.

Don´t play Altis Life so don´t know how it is there.

They're not hackers, why do people call them that ? hacking requires skill.

They're scripters, ArmA is designed to be script friendly, it's how ArmA works and the scripters will never stop, once a script is detected it gets blocked, so they write a new script until that gets blocked, cat and mouse game over and over and over again.

They're scripters, ArmA is designed to be script friendly, it's how ArmA works and the scripters will never stop, once a script is detected it gets blocked, so they write a new script until that gets blocked, cat and mouse game over and over and over again.

I know sorry. ; )

:D

While its true it gives free reign for skiddies to hit servers, it also provides valuable anti-scripting feedback and improves it for the next time so it works both ways, any server worth its weight in megabytes will have frequent database backups so its a minor nuisance really. There will of course be the idiots that get Arma 3 banned on their primary accounts, so thats always a bonus.

Is it a good idea to release the update at this point? they will have the weekend on them to crack the new security instantly.

Quote from Deathly a Dev from a other mod that have closed their whitelistning over the weekend.

"Hackers with unlimited cd keys? that can never be banned for the entire weekend? that can test their hacks until they find a exploit in the mod to break after the weekend is over?"

yeah deathly is a dropkick though mate, these free week ends are good as they allow server owners  (and i gueese mod dev's as well ) to see where vulnerability's lie .

yeah deathly is a dropkick though mate, these free week ends are good as they allow server owners  (and i gueese mod dev's as well ) to see where vulnerability's lie .

I don´t know him but sure He is explicit, I have nothing against him though.. Hope you are right, although you can´t argue with that their method works great. 

No Breaking Point and their protection seems superb. Been there 10 months and encountered maybe 2-3 suspicions of hackers during all that time, none of them confirmed but felt like ESP´s which could just be blind luck from the players I encountered.

Whitelistning, the software they are using and good admins goes a long way. They do run a closed ship though and don´t let community´s run servers, which I think is a good thing. Many community´s seem to think everything is ok to get players there in form of unfair perks for donating and by fighting each other to get players by offering more and more. Look past some exploits of some clan´s just to keep them and so on.

Wasteland servers have been horrible many times.

Don´t play Altis Life so don´t know how it is there.

It appears that as server admin, we have to spend more time dealing with people disrupting game play, instead of fostering what we feel is better (mission updates, stat backend, etc). I like the idea of more people coming, but the overhead of the flux on the servers is mind boggling when you start dealing with multiple servers. We use to have 10 servers running at one time, who knows, maybe I might turn them all on again this weekend. 

We've seen plenty of 'hackers' come on our servers and cause havoc, it'll never stop but we try to be on TOP (pun intended, heh) of it as much as we can. Sometimes I ask myself what's the point of providing a place for everyone to play, to only spend our time combating people that just don't give a crap? 

The answer to that question is because in the end, the community of people we meet and build friendships out ways the hassle... at times. 

Sometimes I ask myself what's the point of providing a place for everyone to play, to only spend our time combating people that just don't give a crap? 

The answer to that question is because in the end, the community of people we meet and build friendships out ways the hassle... at times. 

Amen to that :)

The world is full of wankers, just don't let them get to you, every multiplayer game is the same, ArmA is alot easier to cheat as it's built for scripting and modding, without it though we'd never of had Dayz and then Epoch, tis a funny old world.

Getting others interested in the game is good, there will always be individuals who want to take advantage of the opportunity to hack/script themselves silly...it's gonna happen. 

Regarding the servers...BP has run a tight ship with their servers by not releasing it to every Tom,Dick&Harry who wants to run one...it's worth noting.  Whitelist 'em all IMO.