Open alpha?

BetterDeadThanZed

Just removal of whitelist, dogs in coming patch, PAY ATTENTION DARTH!

For the record, I did read the change log.  But along with many other folks here, I'm also well aware that just because something says "fixed" on a change log doesn't always mean a tangible difference in game.   :P     I just played on a 1.0.3 server and they do seem much better!  Way to go, AWOL!   B)

For the record, I did read the change log.  But along with many other folks here, I'm also well aware that just because something says "fixed" on a change log doesn't always mean a tangible difference in game.   :P     I just played on a 1.0.3 server and they do seem much better!  Way to go, AWOL!   B)

Yeah, I started playing yesterday and had a dog chasing me immediately after leaving the traders and was PO'd lol.  I had 2 on me munching my ass for like 15min before finding a weapon, but that was my only encounter with them the entire night.

It would be nice if they made the dogs only hostile if a player has a weapon out.  That way they aren't chasing down new spawns w/o weapons.

Another thing I noticed is that, before the new patch, dogs were detecting you from like 1km away, even if it was on the other side of a mountain.  You'd hear them start barking at you before you ever saw them.

Agreed.  I think they should fix it so that every respawn your status with the dogs "resets".  If you happen to kill a hostile dog in one life it doesn't necessarily mean you will be hostile to ALL dogs on every consecutive life, which seems to be the way it's set up now.

It's already like that. I have killed dogs and then I've been approached by non aggressive dogs even without dying.

The dog updates are mostly performance related for this patch, though have added:

Handle player in water. Dog will mostly wander when you are in water then resume tracking when player back on land.

Stop biting through floor. 

Definite pause after bite to stop possible multiple bites.

Aggression reduced a lot.

Greater chance of forgiveness after shooting a dog.

New 'stay' action.

Greater chance of untamed dog to wander when tracking player.

Still need to keep the dog out of safe zones. They are currently spawned with the animal spawn system so potential for there to be too many, we are looking to move dogs to the antagonist spawn routine on the next patch.

The dog updates are mostly performance related for this patch, though have added:

Handle player in water. Dog will mostly wander when you are in water then resume tracking when player back on land.

Stop biting through floor. 

Definite pause after bite to stop possible multiple bites.

Aggression reduced a lot.

Greater chance of forgiveness after shooting a dog.

New 'stay' action.

Greater chance of untamed dog to wander when tracking player.

Still need to keep the dog out of safe zones. They are currently spawned with the animal spawn system so potential for there to be too many, we are looking to move dogs to the antagonist spawn routine on the next patch.

Woo!  Yeah, it would be nice for the dog to give up after chasing you for 10min or so lol.  Sounds good. =]

Would it be possible to make the dogs passive toward players that aren't wielding weapons?  I'm not sure if that would go against what you guys had in mind for the dogs or not.  But, it just doesn't seem right having a dog chasing a new-spawn in their underwear while they're frantically looking for a weapon to fend off the pest, attracting all the spawn-killers to them while they're trapped in a church by the butt muncher lol.  And it would encourage people to move around with their weapons holstered.  I dunno, seems like a good idea at the moment anyways.

EDIT: Crap, I thought this was the dog biting thread, oh well.

Would it be possible to make the dogs passive toward players that aren't wielding weapons?  I'm not sure if that would go against what you guys had in mind for the dogs or not.  But, it just doesn't seem right having a dog chasing a new-spawn in their underwear while they're frantically looking for a weapon to fend off the pest, attracting all the spawn-killers to them while they're trapped in a church by the butt muncher lol.  And it would encourage people to move around with their weapons holstered.  I dunno, seems like a good idea at the moment anyways.

It's a survival game that should be as realistic as possible.

A wild animal doesn't care if you have a weapon or not. If it gets interested in you either 'cause it thinks you're a threat or because it's hungry and thinks you're a nice meal it will just try to bite you...

Epoch should be a tough game in a tough environment as much as possible (as much as it keeps being fun without being too much frustrating).

I swear I am having more and more friendly dogs with me. Is it my scent?

I think the dog's barking isn't synced - I may not hear it, other players do, and we all end up getting shot down.

Not sure if cheating, once I sat and waited... one vicious dog stopped eating me after 60-70%. I logged out for the day. Next day, still deep in the woods, severely injured. No dog. Made out for a tremendously fun adventure in hardcore mode trying to slowly get to any place with a sofa, fridge and chair lol. Well after over an hour, I found a reaper in the dark. So scary the way they creep around ya!