SSD Usage - What goes here?

OSUapoc

Question

So in the saga of optimizing a server, I assemble the question of: "What do I install on the SSD on the server?"

With a hosted dedicated virtual machine, we pay for SSD space per 5gb increments. If I need to put the entire ARMA directory on the disk, we'll need a lot more space than if we put just the database application and server on the ssd.

So what are your recommendations?

1 answer to this question

Addons for the most part, respectively folders containing PBO files. They are loaded and unloaded on demand directly from HDD instead of RAM, which is the reason for high speed drive requirements.

If you struggle for SSD costs, I'd suggest reading up a little about Symbolic links. Concept is quite interesting and it is not as complicated as it appears for the end user.

To put it in perspective - it lets you save any file outside of origins folder or even whole drive on to a different location and link it back to it's origin location, thus fooling system into thinking file was never moved. You should use symbolic links to move your addons and @mods on to an SSD and link them back to your server root saving you some extra precious space.

To squeeze it even further, google for what PBOs are actually used by Dayz Epoch and link them instead of whole folders, should save you few GBs doing it. I remember I found a forum post like a year or 2 ago that listed all of them, worked nicely for me.

Personally however I am now fully utilizing SSDs and even RAID all of my boxes, so symlinking is not required anymore.

Good luck.