Brute Force Attack on Locks

bigAPE

So someone kindly deleted my post asking for this exploit to be fixed. I wont say what it is again, but kniw that it is being used out there and your bases ARE NOT SAFE.

Please just tell me that you will implement the timeout for failed padlock attempts.

They are not meant to be completely safe and are made to take time to be broken into. If someone is using an external tool to brute force locks I would consider that cheating and another issue. If it was not possible to crack then destroying the wall would be the only choice.

However we are going to make changes in the next patch that will close the menu between lock or unlock attempts making it a bit harder to spam also we will be alerting zombies each failure.

OK, but in the real world you can't have four people trying codes on the same padlock at the same time can you?

Having some latency between attempts is the only way to combat this. If closing the menu after each attempt is around 5-10 seconds gap between attempts then I guess it's good enough.

I'm not saying you can't guess the codes, but this exploit of the game engine is obviously unintended behavior and should be resolved.

Thanks for your help.

Also... LOVE Epoch man. You have done an amazing job.

it would take 4 people about 30minutes to crack a door lock as it is now.... even less. maybe set a max attempts of 3 per min? 

We have a couple of crews on our server who are going around cracking these locks with 1-2 people in 10 minutes. We don't need these piss-weak flimsy locks, but at the very least there needs to be a decent gap between retries and a way to change the padlock if you know it's been cracked.

These 3 digit padlocks are a joke. Absolute false sense of security.

There are legit ways to break into a base. Satchel Charges, Airdrop, Scaling the walls, camping the doors, etc. If you're doing this, stop be cheap and fight for the victory.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been banned from a server for brute forcing 3 combo locks. The server rules prohibit breaking the wall to get in, so the only other option is to guess the code. Me, by myself, guessed the code on each lock in well under 10 minutes with no extra aids (i changed it to 0-0-0, hit unlock, 0-0-1, unlock, 0-0-2, unlock etc). One lock took less than a minute due to the combination being 0-x-x. Each attempt is only limited by how fast/accurately you can click so 2-3 attempts a second is not impossible.

The only way to fix brute forcing is to make it an extreme time between each attempt, given that most bases aren't near enough to zombies to alert them

Statistically, 500 attempts is going to get you in 1/2 of the time, 1000 attempts will get you in 100% of the time. Assuming no 'maximum fails' value will be placed per player (not per lock) then the only way to combat brute forcing is to make each attempt longer. The question then is are the locks meant to be perfectly secure (impossible to brute force) or mostly secure (brute force if determined).

Forcing GUI code reset per failed attempt only delays the attack, it does not break it. A player animation per failed attempt would delay it more so, but could be somewhat diminished through parrallel attacks (multiple people). If able to be implemented, the best option would be some sort of item reset such that only 1 attempt per x time is allowed. I would say 500 attempts over an hour would be a good threshold, making a 7-8 second cooldown period between attempts.  

There are legit ways to break into a base. Satchel Charges, Airdrop, Scaling the walls, camping the doors, etc. If you're doing this, stop be cheap and fight for the victory.

So, to recap, you'd rather be more happy to find your base totally destroyed by pipebombs than some guy peeking in there? You have never build anything bigger than some walls in Rog/Zub/DC, aren't you?

So, to recap, you'd rather be more happy to find your base totally destroyed by pipebombs than some guy peeking in there? You have never build anything bigger than some walls in Rog/Zub/DC, aren't you?

LOL... thanks for the flame. Some people I know pointed me to your post thinking it was funny that APE was being accused of "not building bases".

So, yes mate. I have built, and currently am building, some massive structures and not in the editor like some examples I've seen, real world bases where building and trading under fire. One of them contains 9+ locked doors through multiple rings of defensive cinder walls mostly to deter people from brute forcing them.

I'll reiterate though. I don't mind someone breaking into my bases providing that the effort they expend to achieve it is commensurate with the effort it took me to fortify it.

• Parachute/Fly in - A failure in my fortifications
  • Ladders or stairs climb in - A failure on my part to put down poles or have walls high enough
  • Crash through walls - A failure on my part by relying on the existing game walls and not completely envelop the structure in multiple layers of cinder.
  • Pipe Bomb doors - No failure on my part, but the cost of pipe bombs prohibits them being used like sweets. i.e. the players has to earn the funds to buy them. I'm fine with that.
  • Combo Lock Brute Force - No failure on my part, it's a failure in the code to take ARMA multi-player mechanics into account. 3-4 people can NOT all try numbers of a combo lock in real life, nor should they be able to ingame. The fix applied already now is enough to deter people from wasting their life on this. Thanks.
  • .50 Cal vehicle drilling walls/doors - No failure on my part, it's a failure in the balancing of the game to make them so powerful, plentiful and magically rearm on startup. It's a plague on our server. Kids coming on at 3am raiding every base for vehicles/loot or just trolling. Once the ammo packs and empty on restart are implemented then this should really help and re-balance the game again.  

Going by your other posts you are obviously passionate about your rights to break into other peoples gear, so I can understand your concerns about changes that make this harder. Each person has their own game play style I guess... I personally prefer to go out and earn my funds through other means like finding, fixing and trading vehicles or getting spoils from face-to-face gunfights.