Arma2netmysql status

i was going to post a long post about how awefull a2net is and it is really but if you really want to

nothing stops you from trying to get something toghether. as storm said there's no need for a2net support for

the mod itself, if you really wanted to share banks between servers than you can do just that part with a2net

on your own...

ok go and try use a , in your data you want to save and then come back here and report what happend.

keep in mind that you need , all over for array's etc like we see in the inventory fields in the dayz database and such.

on another note what many of you dont realize about arma2net with the mysql plugin for it is that it isnt a straight forward

solution, what it does is make a bridge from arma2 wich is using c++ for calling extension files (dll's in this case)

however amra2net as the name gives away is writen in .net so theres alot of jugling going on there bridging between

2 coding languages before it interacts with the database causing/creating nothing but overhead.

Little insight about extension calls:

What happens with the server when it calls for an extension. Performing a call will always lock up the scheduled runtime of your server

untill it returns with a result. It is usefull when you need to do a calculation or you are absolutly depending on that returns from the call

to progress in your code. but when the code being called is large and heavy it is and i repeat it is extremely taxing on the amount of

server cycles per second it can put out. now considering you are leaving the engine to let a dll do some calculations there.

What about spawn? spawn creates a thread in the non-scheduled runtime of the server and so it doesnt lock up the servers scheduled

runtime. But it cant really be used to returns any calculated value/bool/...

Ofcourse it is entirely up to you if you wish to use it or not, no one can stop you but only inform you about its flaws.

A2net has been the only option for a long time and it has been used alot being the only option.

However these days you can use Torndeco's extDB.dll wich is written in c++ and a direct connection between A2/A3 and a mysql/postgrl sql database.

Torndeco is a long standing and extremely highly skilled coder within the arma branch for years. extDB.dll has alot of abstraction layers for security.

So why exactly is Arma2NET aweful pls? I think it is the best thing in terms of scripts that i could ever have discovered...

i'll be honest with you, i had the exact same feel about it when i first saw it being used and got it to work myself.

it enabled me to do far more but it did create alot of problems (performance problems) so yeah its a solution to

a certain degree. but as i stated in my post above i quickly found out about its limitations and boy they sucked hard.

Lag, piping issues and wait even more lag.

Arma2net is the most lag producing thing in the world, it has the most horrible piping issues.

The reason why Arma 3 Life servers lag and cause soo much d'sync.

It is like having a bunch of pipes connected with low pressure and some leaking problems.

Just stick with MYSQL and have all the server connected to one 1 user but different databases you can have mysql communicate between those if you know how to do it.

I am not really going into much detail of it right now as its a pain in the ass to do it.

Lag, piping issues and wait even more lag.

Arma2net is the most lag producing thing in the world, it has the most horrible piping issues.

The reason why Arma 3 Life servers lag and cause soo much d'sync.

It is like having a bunch of pipes connected with low pressure and some leaking problems.

Just stick with MYSQL and have all the server connected to one 1 user but different databases you can have mysql communicate between those if you know how to do it.

I am not really going into much detail of it right now as its a pain in the ass to do it.

And that is because the Altis Life coders are noobs or don´t know about this: Arma2NET offers an asynchronous call method, something i have been requesting a million times from the epoch devs aswell. With asynchronous calls i have had 50/50 players and was handling all the database stuff via Arma2NET, similar to Sandbird´s editor, and i experienced a lot less lag with database stuff and general Arma problems like desync etc..

So yea. the asynchronous calls are a little more difficult to implement, but get results much faster, with the benefit of not being a stuffed pipe but more like a big cluster waiting for the response of the server.

I will look at Torndeco´s extDB.dll though, i did not hear about it before so it might be worth trying out :)

i'll be honest with you, i had the exact same feel about it when i first saw it being used and got it to work myself.

it enabled me to do far more but it did create alot of problems (performance problems) so yeah its a solution to

a certain degree. but as i stated in my post above i quickly found out about its limitations and boy they sucked hard.

The CLR can't help matters either. I agree, Arma2NET is kinda slow, and the hive kinda provides a quicker server-lite alternative. Plus, I'm not sure of how actively Arma2NET is updated, and it may be likely that the person who developed it made it a proof of concept and didn't extend it beyond that. Looking at the code, it's not been updated for a few years.

The hiveDLL isn't perfect, either, but it's designed with the speed of calls to it in mind, and it doesn't have tons of assemblies to load to resolve classes and so on. I still think that the hive needs to take a step further and become a fully-fledged program with an API for inter-hive communication via JSON or XML or something :P It'd be nice to have people just run hives for character data so they can be shared between servers (like federated logins) and have local hives for storing vehicles, objects and so on.

Good work so far on the calls you've made so far, though :)

The CLR can't help matters either. I agree, Arma2NET is kinda slow, and the hive kinda provides a quicker server-lite alternative. Plus, I'm not sure of how actively Arma2NET is updated, and it may be likely that the person who developed it made it a proof of concept and didn't extend it beyond that. Looking at the code, it's not been updated for a few years.

The hiveDLL isn't perfect, either, but it's designed with the speed of calls to it in mind, and it doesn't have tons of assemblies to load to resolve classes and so on. I still think that the hive needs to take a step further and become a fully-fledged program with an API for inter-hive communication via JSON or XML or something :P It'd be nice to have people just run hives for character data so they can be shared between servers (like federated logins) and have local hives for storing vehicles, objects and so on.

Good work so far on the calls you've made so far, though :)

erghm idk if you are aware but you can have shared characters between servers. Thats why the hiveext.ini has a seperate section for char db connection info.

erghm idk if you are aware but you can have shared characters between servers. Thats why the hiveext.ini has a seperate section for char db connection info.

but the bank is not stored in the char data ( and thats what i think they actually want)

And that is because the Altis Life coders are noobs or don´t know about this: Arma2NET offers an asynchronous call method, something i have been requesting a million times from the epoch devs aswell. With asynchronous calls i have had 50/50 players and was handling all the database stuff via Arma2NET, similar to Sandbird´s editor, and i experienced a lot less lag with database stuff and general Arma problems like desync etc..

So yea. the asynchronous calls are a little more difficult to implement, but get results much faster, with the benefit of not being a stuffed pipe but more like a big cluster waiting for the response of the server.

I will look at Torndeco´s extDB.dll though, i did not hear about it before so it might be worth trying out :)

Still that is even more coding. I rather just do it with MYSQL and not lag the whole server to shit.

All you have do is just learn how to use MySQL Cluster. Cluster is the easiest, most safe and non failure way of allowing the server share the data across the node.